Does anyone reverse around a corner in 'real life'?

Yes he use to drive a van, but still uses the side mirrors in a car, i cannot do it, don't trust them, he says it's A WOMAN THING ! i've been driving over 40 years too, he's still trying to teach me to use them ONLY. MEN:rant:

if it wasnt for us MEN you would not have cars to parade about in. Remember your own Henry Ford?

Its useful for all revese parking and for getting into tight driveways/garages so you don't have to reverse out again. I think in general it teaches you good control.

I agree. I hate people who reverse off their driveways and just totally ignore other cars on the road and pedestrians on the path they're blindly motoring across.

if it wasnt for us MEN you would not have cars to parade about in. Remember your own Henry Ford?

You got me there artie !

I do it every morning.

I've pretty much mastered the reverse round a corner and parallel park now, i'm working on the whole reversing into a parking space thing (not included in my test then) and I only passed my test 10 years ago :shocked:

I can reverse using just mirrors, when driving a minibus full of students you really can't see through the rear view mirror anyway ;) but normally if i'm driving my car i use mainly mirrors with occasional looks round :)

I have found that driving a minibus on a regular basis has improved my manouvres as it gets you used to turning a big thing in a small space, turning a small thing in a larger space is soo much nicer afterwards :)

When having driving lessons the only thing I couldnt do,was to reverse round a corner. The instructor spent hours trying to teach me,always used to turn the stearing wheel in the wrong direction.On my driving test,I did it right first time,but got something else wrong on the test.!:loopy:

If youre in a van you have to use only your mirrors, in a car you can look all around, its safer!

Does he drive a van at work? Hes probably just got used to it.

I drive a van and it's easier and safer than turning round.

You are in the correct driving position so have better control of the vehicle.

You can steer much better and see where you are going far better.

You can see if you are going to hit any objects in your path much easier as they must cross the path of the mirror before you can hit them.

If you turn it is much harder to see what is coming down the road and much harder to see your position relitive to the curb or white line.

I've failed three tests already and will be taking my fourth soon.

Perhaps it's true what they say; people learn to pass a test then learn to drive after they have passed.

Question... for the women (I think). when you back out of a driveway, parking spot ect, after looking in you rear view mirror, now do you back out useing your side mirrors or do you have to turn your head to back out ?

My husband CLAIMS all men can do it by just useing the side mirrors, women have to turn around and do not trust the side mirrors.

Hope this makes sense.. i don't trust JUST my side ones only.

I could do it just looking in my side mirrors but you should really look behind you while you're reversing!

It makes perfect sense really - look in the direction your car is travelling in! Your mirrors have blind spots.

When you are taking your test, if you dont look over your shoulder when reversing you will fail.

It is a serious fault.

you must always look in the direction the car is moving.

I've failed three tests already and will be taking my fourth soon.

Perhaps it's true what they say; people learn to pass a test then learn to drive after they have passed.

Yes it's true of course, but people tend to drive a bit too fast when they first start drivng by themselves, they think they have to because of the car behind them, after a while they slow down and don't worry about the driver behind them.

It's not dangerous if you only do it on quiet side roads, check there's no-one coming before you start, and check your mirrors before and during every part of the manouvre. Any experienced driver will stop and let you finish when they realize what you're doing.

The examiner didn't choose a particularly quiet corner for me to reverse round on my test in Nottingham. Time after time I kept starting out to reverse, saw something coming and had to pull forward again. I must have been there for a good ten minutes and the examiner and supervisor in the back even started joking about it.

By the time I got back to the test centre all the other learners who'd set out at the same time as me had long since finished and gone, and my instructor was pacing the floor wondering what on earth had happened to me.

I passed though!