Does anyone reverse around a corner in 'real life'?

It is one of the trickiest manovers in a driving test. Hit the curb (even slightly) and you've failed. I was just wondering how much it is actually used by people once they have passed their test. I have never seen anyone (that I can remember) other than a learner do it.

Yes. As a van driver without satnav I frequently miss my turn and often end up reversing round corners as it usually presents the earliest opportunity to turn around. It's not dangerous if you only do it on quiet side roads, check there's no-one coming before you start, and check your mirrors before and during every part of the manouvre. Any experienced driver will stop and let you finish when they realize what you're doing.

Ypu want to try it with a caravan on, you need a field

The only problem is that you pick up the other drivers naughty habits... Thats why you need an instructor, to show you what is expected of you and the correct procedures... It costs a fortune, yeah, but habits are hard to break and I'm glad I've formed mine AFTER the test and not before! lol!

Choose someone whose just passed their test as I did, years ago. They have no bad habits, niether do you.

I think they call it the blind leading the blind, you soon find your faults, believe me. But you also learn to drive!

Question... for the women (I think). when you back out of a driveway, parking spot ect, after looking in you rear view mirror, now do you back out useing your side mirrors or do you have to turn your head to back out ?

My husband CLAIMS all men can do it by just useing the side mirrors, women have to turn around and do not trust the side mirrors.

Hope this makes sense.. i don't trust JUST my side ones only.

If youre in a van you have to use only your mirrors, in a car you can look all around, its safer!

Does he drive a van at work? Hes probably just got used to it.

If youre in a van you have to use only your mirrors, in a car you can look all around, its safer!

Does he drive a van at work? Hes probably just got used to it.

Yes he use to drive a van, but still uses the side mirrors in a car, i cannot do it, don't trust them, he says it's A WOMAN THING ! i've been driving over 40 years too, he's still trying to teach me to use them ONLY. MEN:rant:

Doesn't a co pilot need to have held a full license for at least 2 years?

I do it about once every other day, it's the quickest way to turn around in order to park facing the correct way outside my house.

Being a motorcyclist I actually turn my head around and look rather than rely totally on my mirrors whan I am manoevering a car. If more people did this there would be far less collisions.

And in reply to the op I do reverse around corners from time to time in my car. Reversing is by far the best way to park a car, you can always park parallel to the curb without bashing it in a single manoever if you are good enough. In the busy city it is increasingly important to be skillful at parking to get your car into a small gap. And doing it regularly gives you the confidence to do it well in a pressure situation like on a main road..

Ypu want to try it with a caravan on, you need a field

You should get more practice then :)

I was rubbish at doing this when I was learning - took me ages despite having superb spatial awareness! But now I'm glad I know how to do it, having a car without power steering and usually having to park in a space about 1 inch longer than the car by my house! Its useful for all revese parking and for getting into tight driveways/garages so you don't have to reverse out again. I think in general it teaches you good control.

at least 10 or 12 times a day (paul bennett school of motoring)

Did just that this afternoon...badly too