What's happened to our fish & Chips ?

When I moved down to Poole in '66 I looked forward to nicer fish and chips but was disappointed, I then realised I had been spoilt by Sheffield's chip 'oils. Gorgeous Icelandic cod to die for, same with the beer, instead of Stones bitter or Tenants Queens that could knock your head off and a lovely creamy head it was weak and flat.

Halibut is the staple of fish and chip shops in Ontario...
They do it differently in Australia. Cobbler? Gummy shark? Spanish Mackeral? Schnapper? Well, I'm sure they all taste good but I think I'll stick to a nice tail end of haddock!.:)

I'm in Toronto too!

Hey you almost stole my handle!

Can you recommend a good one?

Tony from Toronto

We live at the south west side of the City, near the lake. There are only two that I like locally, one is New Toronto Fish and Chips on 5th street, just North of Lakeshore Blvd, West . The other one which is a bit better is called Country Fish and Chips and is on Lakeshore Rd East in Mississauga. This one is better because of the batter it is just like a good one back home , also do mushy peas and ask you if you want scraps on.

It's about £6 for fish and chips where I live, and decent portions. Problem is they are never open late - years ago they would be open for the pubs turning out, but they seem to shut at 7pm now.

Well, in 1956 a piece of fish cost 8d from, from example, Gordon Booth's in Taplin Road, Barrow's in Middlewood Road or Patterson's in Dykes Hall Road. According to this website, 8d then is about 77p now, so even allowing for the larger portions nowadays, the cost has risen more than inflation. Another example is ice cream - a cornet from Truffelli's or Clayton's cost 3d in 1956 - equivalent to about 30p now. One reason for this of course is that incomes have risen more than inflation.

I think the problem is that the fishing Industry is in trouble due to the Quota that the boats can catch.

Many Trawlers are being scrapped or sold .

This has lead to the price of fish going through the roof.

E.U. any one:mad:

When I moved down to Poole in '66 I looked forward to nicer fish and chips but was disappointed, I then realised I had been spoilt by Sheffield's chip 'oils. Gorgeous Icelandic cod to die for, same with the beer, instead of Stones bitter or Tenants Queens that could knock your head off and a lovely creamy head it was weak and flat.

Oakdale Fisheries just outside Poole is the best in the Poole and surrounding area.

...E.U. any one:mad:
They can keep the EU - the sooner we're out the better. Thank goodness we don't have the daft euro (ask the Greeks).

I think providing you can find a place that makes a decent stab at frying the fish (my own recommendation is Shaws in Killamarsh) then the worst two things are the DryWhite they use to stop the potatoes discolouring once they've been peeled and cut and the vinegar. The DryWhite stuff means you rarely get chips that are even lightly browned and it affects the flavour - (fry your some of your own chips and see the difference) and the vinegar is now so dilute it's hardly worth putting it on.

We live at the south west side of the City, near the lake. There are only two that I like locally, one is New Toronto Fish and Chips on 5th street, just North of Lakeshore Blvd, West . The other one which is a bit better is called Country Fish and Chips and is on Lakeshore Rd East in Mississauga. This one is better because of the batter it is just like a good one back home , also do mushy peas and ask you if you want scraps on.

Thanks for that info.

I'm in north TO, and I've heard that Duckworth's on the Danforth is OK, but all these places are a good drive away from me, and I would probably have eaten them in the car on my way home :)

When I was 8 or so on Saturdays I would make a little spending money by taking the "eyes" out of the potatoes after they had been through the "rumbler", at our local F & C. shop.

Edited by trastrick

I think providing you can find a place that makes a decent stab at frying the fish (my own recommendation is Shaws in Killamarsh) then the worst two things are the DryWhite they use to stop the potatoes discolouring once they've been peeled and cut and the vinegar. The DryWhite stuff means you rarely get chips that are even lightly browned and it affects the flavour - (fry your some of your own chips and see the difference) and the vinegar is now so dilute it's hardly worth putting it on.

Flipping vinegar !!!!

That's another thing the EU ruined.....

---------- Post added 14-07-2015 at 21:03 ----------

Thanks for that info.

I'm in north TO, and I've heard that Duckworth's on the Danforth is OK, but all these places are a good drive away from me, and I would probably have eaten them in the car on my way home :)

When I was 8 or so on Saturdays I would make a little spending money by taking the "eyes" out of the potatoes after they had been through the "rumbler", at our local F & C. shop.

As a matter of interest you two do they cook them in oil or fat over there ?

I'm certain the fish at Shaw's is cooked in beef fat but don't know about the chips. Maybe, but in my limited experience Drywhite kills any flavour chips might have.

My aunt used to operate a f & c shop on Broad St in the 40s and 50s. Adams. Wonderful meal. But, she knew how to cook them. You have to get the fat (or oil) hot enough or the batter will be soggy and greasy, like many places over here (Canada). When I last visited Sheff., a few yrs back, I bought some f & c from a place near Hunter's Bar (Sharrow Vale Rd) and they were an awful greasy mess. I found a brilliant place in Aberdeen. Nice crispy batter, chips properly drained.