What's happened to our fish & Chips ?

I think that a pint at 1/6d in the mid 50,s is over priced my first pint in 61 was 1/3d(best bitter Stones--at Meadowbank hotel)--do remember chips in the 50,s at 3d though,

Broomheads on crookes do good fish and chips , i think this is mainly due to the fact they dont sell pizzas kebabs etc and still cook in beef dripping as previously mentioned .

Plenty on here in the other thread about good chippys in and around Sheffield.

kebabs were ok at first but have gradually become less recognisable as having once been a part of an animal some shops are using using ground or minced whatever (allegedly horses and even people) these days instead of bits of sheep.

Pizza from take-aways compared to making your own is ridiculously over priced for a what is a glorified grilled cheese sandwich.

I think that a pint at 1/6d in the mid 50,s is over priced my first pint in 61 was 1/3d(best bitter Stones--at Meadowbank hotel)--do remember chips in the 50,s at 3d though,[/

---------- Post added 10-07-2015 at 10:04 ----------

[/color]

I think that a pint at 1/6d in the mid 50,s is over priced my first pint in 61 was 1/3d(best bitter Stones--at Meadowbank hotel)--do remember chips in the 50,s at 3d though,

You are right, I started '6o/'61 and Stones was 1/4d at my local, don't think it reached two bob a pint until around '67/'68. Our local chippie used to have 2 sizes of chips 3d and 6d, in the '50s

Edited by TORONTONY

Can't recall the relative price of F.C. over the years but when chips went up to 6d it seemed ridiculous. Same with the price of beer, when I came of legal drinking age in 1965, I used to drink Stones' in the Toll Gate Inn, Pitsmoor Road and I'm certain is was only about 12d, an old shilling a pint. How much it was in the city-centre at the time I don't know but the first time I paid 2 shillings for a pint was at the Cavandish Club in 1967.

Bag of chips for a tanner in the sixties , seemed to stay a tanner for years at our chippie at Southey , no idea how much fish cost as i only ever got a tanner to spend , happy days.

Bag of chips for a tanner in the sixties , seemed to stay a tanner for years at our chippie at Southey , no idea how much fish cost as i only ever got a tanner to spend , happy days.

If they were the same price as the chippy I went to in the 60s ( fish a bob chips,cake, a tanner pease threepense or a tanner.

Guest sibon

Has anyone else noticed that you never see Halibut on a Fish and Chip thread:)

Ive not had a reasonably fair priced fish and chips for a long time.

I had some from abbey friar Millhouses very recently they were over priced the fish was great the chips were bad they tasted under cooked just not very nice.

I used to go to Greystones chippy and they were always spot on I will try there next time, has anyone else been?

I also think the price of fish and chips is so expensive its not a cheap treat which is a shame

I don't understand why folks pay such prices for fish and chips....wrapped in paper to take away.

You can get a carvery for about four quid with a choice from three meats, plus Yorkshire pudding, and unlimited veg......and get to sit in comfortable surroundings to eat it.

On the rare occasions I can't be arsed to cook at home, a carvery is my choice.

Oh...and for fish lovers, they do serve fish and chips as well.

I don't understand why folks pay such prices for fish and chips....wrapped in paper to take away.

You can get a carvery for about four quid with a choice from three meats, plus Yorkshire pudding, and unlimited veg......and get to sit in comfortable surroundings to eat it.

On the rare occasions I can't be arsed to cook at home, a carvery is my choice.

Oh...and for fish lovers, they do serve fish and chips as well.

But its not the same...

Has anyone else noticed that you never see Halibut on a Fish and Chip threa

He knows he will get battered !

Edited by alarmingmark
Missing info