What's happened to our fish & Chips ?

Look back to the 1930s.

Twice as many fish and chip shops.

2/3s of the population we have now.

I suspect that's because of what I call the Americanization of food in UK. I live in Canada. Every time I visit Sheff., I spend so much time trying to find the old traditional foods. Plenty of KFC, McDonalds, pizza joints and cheesecake, all of which I can get over here. Thanks, but no thanks. But home made pork pies, eccles cakes and like you say, good f & c? Not as easy to find.

Look back to the 1930s.

Twice as many fish and chip shops.

2/3s of the population we have now.

We were 95% English then:)

---------- Post added 21-07-2015 at 13:44 ----------

I suspect that's because of what I call the Americanization of food in UK. I live in Canada. Every time I visit Sheff., I spend so much time trying to find the old traditional foods. Plenty of KFC, McDonalds, pizza joints and cheesecake, all of which I can get over here. Thanks, but no thanks. But home made pork pies, eccles cakes and like you say, good f & c? Not as easy to find.

Every time over the 1st two days it is Stones bitter, fish and chips, two pork pies, a breakfast with English bacon, and a 6-4-1 at the Bookies.:D

Our tastes have changed dramatically over the last few years. We are heavily influenced by foreign food by travel & religious influences. A lot of food trade are now using Hallal meat because doesn't limit it's sales also it is cheaper. They also use all sorts of flavouring & are cooking food using different oils & fats to appeal to a wider sales.

I noticed travelling through France last year when I found I never smelled any French coffee or fresh baked bread or even the distinct smell of French cigarettes. I know this is not directly to do with taste traditional fish & chips but every country's eating habits are changing and we are all eating many of the same foodstuffs as each other & using the cheapest products for producing cooked food.

Sadly most of our younger people have never tasted a lot of our traditional foods & are unlikely to develop the same tastes & memories of food like fish & chips. I feel most traditional foods will become gourmet items in our hotels & restaurants. I guess we cannot live in the past & have to get used to the new internal food trends. I guess I will just have to savour my memories I have of the food I ate & enjoyed as a youngster.

Happy Days? PopT

I love me tripe but that cow heel, chicklin and bag are not easy to find any more, surprising when you think of all those shops that used to sell nothing else..

The day when we lose our stomachs and just have a pill is getting closer and closer..

In the mean time can we just have some good old fashioned fish and chips please....

There was a great fish and chip shop on Wolseley Road, Abbeydale, back in the '60s. They had a machine in the shop that cut all the potatoes into chips on the spot ready for frying. I was horrified when I arrived in Australia and all the chips were in huge piles - partially fried before hand! The fish also was covered in this sticky-icky flour dough ready for frying! The best fish and chips shops in Australia used to be run by Greeks but lately they are mainly Chinese operators. Can't remember the last time I bought some.

Edited by helbco

Sadly most of our younger people have never tasted a lot of our traditional foods & are unlikely to develop the same tastes & memories of food like fish & chips. I feel most traditional foods will become gourmet items in our hotels & restaurants. I guess we cannot live in the past & have to get used to the new internal food trends. I guess I will just have to savour my memories I have of the food I ate & enjoyed as a youngster.

Happy Days? PopT

Don't blame it all on foreigners. It's mostly mass produced convenience.

It started with sliced bread!

Before, we kids used to fight for the crust. With sliced bread you usually left the crust in the plastic bag and threw it away.

But the convenience (no breadknife needed), the lack of large air holes (no jam or treacle leaking all over) tidiness (no breadcrumbs to sweep up anymore), hygene (it was always plastic covered) and economy (it lasted a week or more) was more than enough to enough to make it the "greatest thing since sliced bread". Lol

And you're right, locally baked bread has become a more expensive, almost gourmet, item.

Edited by trastrick

What really annoys me is you only seem to have a choice of Cod and Haddock in the chippys in Sheffield. Why is that? Why not Rock eel (Dog Fish) and skate as well. Come on Fryers, give us more choice.

What really annoys me is you only seem to have a choice of Cod and Haddock in the chippys in Sheffield. Why is that? Why not Rock eel (Dog Fish) and skate as well. Come on Fryers, give us more choice.

Then it wouldn't be the traditional fish n chippy.

Don't forget some of these chippys pass cheap fish [ Coley, Pollock etc ] off as cod and haddock.

Well, I'm happy with Cod or Haddock from the chippy, I've got plenty old trout at home! :hihi:

And if she reads that it's you who will be getting the battering........:hihi:

And if she reads that it's you who will be getting the battering........:hihi:

I will have had my chips! :hihi:

We get more choice than we think! A few months ago I went in a chip shop and asked whether the fish on the menu was cod or haddock and got the reply "it's haddock type". Pressed for an clear answer and expecting coley, pollock etc got the reply "I don't know what it's called but it's from Vietnam"