Bicycle camera - Would the police act?

I'm thinking about buying a bicycle camera and mounting it on the top of my helmet as I'm sick of being cut-up, pulled out on and verbally abused by ignorant motorist while on the road.

If I catch them going through give ways or speeding past me excessively would the video evidence be enough for the police to pay them a visit for dangerous/careless driving?

Has anyone any had any experience of this? I'm sick to the back teeth of cars, on Stradbroke Road especially, giving way to cars at the traffic calming sections then just driving straight through when us cyclists come along and have right of way. Some even have the audacity to shout abuse like you shouldn't be there.

Don't want this to turn into a cyclist/motorist argument. Just want to know if the police will act on the video evidence. Thanks.

Doubt it, although prosecutions from helmet cams do occur.

It's usually for more serious stuff like assault and road rage however.

What you can do is upload the bad driving videos to YouTube, and include their registration plates as a form of name and shame.

Don't want this to turn into a cyclist/motorist argument. .

good luck fella, the other thread is 1200 posts+ and rising.

Pull up a chair, get a beer and some snacks and watch the show

I always Google a number plate when I'm looking to buy a used car.

I might think twice if there were a few videos found of it being driven dangerously.

---------- Post added 09-07-2015 at 16:03 ----------

Also I've just found this website where you can name and shame as well.

Check out their top, driver :o:o:o:o:o:o

http://rate-driver.co.uk/MF58MGU

Edited by geared

Has anyone any had any experience of this? I'm sick to the back teeth of cars, on Stradbroke Road especially, giving way to cars at the traffic calming sections then just driving straight through when us cyclists come along and have right of way. Some even have the audacity to shout abuse like you shouldn't be there.

My god, where do I start on this one? Bike camera owner, yes, for years. Resident of Stradbroke Road, yes for years. Been hit by cars on that road, yes.

The insane 'traffic calming' chicken run on this road and useless cycle lanes will, one day, lead to yet another fatality. Of that I am sure! However, bike cameras are not a solution until you actually get hit, then the police are interested. Until then, suck up your pride, ride carefully and please don't try to use bike camera footage to shame anyone that you might meet in the street. There are a lot of ignorant, violent car users round there and the tragic death of Jasmyn Chan shows that these psychopaths just don't care about anything except themselves.

So, get the bike cam, and use it that same way you use a bike helmet, put it on, and pray you don't need it. Ride safe.

I'm thinking of taking my CCTV to the police to see if they take action against all the crazy Cyclists I see on a daily basis, undertaking, weaving through traffic, ignoring red lights and giving abuse to other road users and pedestrians.

Do you think they would react? Oh sorry I forgot, they have no registration or insurance so not a chance of it happening!! :huh: