Drivers at zebra crossings

I think we covered this before somewhere,

You must look out for pedestrians that might want to cross and you must be prepared to slow down and stop in case they do want to cross. If they start to cross then you must stop and let them cross.

While the pedestrian must only cross if it is safe to do so the motorist is the one with the responsibility to make it safe as they approach the crossing.

Carefull- that's bordering on common sense :)

---------- Post added 26-10-2015 at 16:03 ----------

If a motorist is speeding up to a crossing or are travelling at a speed where the pedestrian would be unsafe to step out then the motorist is the one that is breaking the rules. The pedestrian is likely to be injured or die but the motorist will be the one at fault.

Luckily, I believe that, in contrast to the 'tap on the hand' received in court by inept/irresponsible motorists who kill/maim cyclists, any car driver mowing down a pedestrian on a crossing, would get nailed quite badly by the justice system?

Luckily, I believe that, in contrast to the 'tap on the hand' received in court by inept/irresponsible motorists who kill/maim cyclists, any car driver mowing down a pedestrian on a crossing, would get nailed quite badly by the justice system?

Not sure about the penalties, but being a pedestrian is certainly quite dangerous:

"Last year, pedestrians accounted for 51% of all fatalities and 37% of all serious injuries on London's roads.That's more than double the number of cyclists, motorcyclists or car occupants killed or injured in the same period. So where are the outrage, the protests and the headlines? Where cyclists have found their political voice and every tragic death is marked by a front page story, a ghost bike and calls for better cycling provision, pedestrian protests have yet to make their mark."

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/pedestrian-fatalities-in-london.pdf

Not sure about the penalties, but being a pedestrian is certainly quite dangerous:

"Last year, pedestrians accounted for 51% of all fatalities and 37% of all serious injuries on London's roads.That's more than double the number of cyclists, motorcyclists or car occupants killed or injured in the same period. So where are the outrage, the protests and the headlines? Where cyclists have found their political voice and every tragic death is marked by a front page story, a ghost bike and calls for better cycling provision, pedestrian protests have yet to make their mark."

Worth pointing out that, for as long as I can remember, wreaths and floral tributes strapped to roadside lamposts and railings, to mark yet another pedestrian death under a motor vehicle, have been very common.

But, it's true, both pedestrians and cyclists have fallen victim to the 'friendly fire' from our motor-based and insane transport systems.

I prefer to see Zebra's at Yorkshire Wildlife Park it's much safer there.

You'd be surprised - I walk across that junction twice daily. Both near misses I've had as a pedestrian on that crossing have been people turning right out of Oxford Street.

If you're parked on Oxford Street it isn't exactly difficult to find another way to Walkley.

Go on then, how? If you're going to force people to turn left at the top, they've either got to turn down St Phillips Rd and turn round down there, or go all the way round Brook Hill roundabout to get back to Walkley.

I've seen a statistic before that about 80% of pedestrian deaths are caused by the pedestrian.

The same isn't true of the road deaths of cyclists in London.

---------- Post added 27-10-2015 at 08:34 ----------

Go on then, how? If you're going to force people to turn left at the top, they've either got to turn down St Phillips Rd and turn round down there, or go all the way round Brook Hill roundabout to get back to Walkley.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/53.38527,-1.492604/53.3948709,-1.5017821/@53.3898684,-1.5016814,16z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d-1.4907012!2d53.3872019!3s0x4879789b5abcaf9b:0x15ea6a3cc49f7641!1m0!3e0

Or just turn around on Oxford Street, left on Albion Street, left on Crookesmoor Rd, turn right at the traffic lights instead of a give way right next to a zebra crossing.

I've seen a statistic before that about 80% of pedestrian deaths are caused by the pedestrian.

The same isn't true of the road deaths of cyclists in London.

In that report, the largest percentage of deaths were 'pedestrians killed on a pedestrian crossing'.

In that report, the largest percentage of deaths were 'pedestrians killed on a pedestrian crossing'.

I'm reading the report now.

Crossing facility detail Total

No crossing facility within 50m 104

Pedestrian phase at traffic lights (ATS) 24

Pelican/Puffin/Toucan/Other non junction crossing facility 38

Staggered Pelican/Puffin/Toucan/Other non junction facility 7

Zebra crossing 12

Central refuge - no controls 9

Subway 1

Unknown 2

Total collisions 197

Over 50% killed when crossing where no facility was available. The next highest is <20% killed on some kind of crossing.

---------- Post added 27-10-2015 at 09:49 ----------

It was found that whilst 107 drivers/riders were compliant with both the law and the Highway Code, 44 drivers/riders were not compliant with the law and 53 were not compliant with the Highway Code at the time of the collision.

Over 50% of the drivers were compliant with both the law and the highway code.

---------- Post added 27-10-2015 at 09:51 ----------

Thirty-eight percent of collisions had factors attributed to both the pedestrian and the

vehicle or driver/rider, 37% of collisions only had factors attributed to the pedestrian and

26% had factors attributed to the vehicle or driver only.

75% involved some factor from the pedestrian.

64% involved some factor from the driver.

---------- Post added 27-10-2015 at 09:55 ----------

I wonder if these figures are unique to London, or more likely, unique to city accidents.

Perhaps the 80% fault rate from pedestrians that I remembered included faults from both parties, and thus isn't that far from the 75% in the report...

I echo what has been said about the zebra crossing near Crookes Valley Park, however I find the zebra crossing on Northfield Rd near Bole Hill even more dangerous.

I regularly have to wait minutes before anyone stops to let me cross. This is definitely on the increase and now it is becoming more surprising when people actually stop.

I use the crossing several times a day and have lost count of the number of times I have been almost hit whilst in the middle of the road as cars come careering along and don't seem to appreciate that pedestrians use the crossing. I wave/ gesticulate/swear at them, depending on just how close they have got to me this time

I have also witnessed several accidents where cars have been rammed from behind as they try and stop at the crossing. Oh and don't get me started about the lunatics trying to overtake the 52 bus and zooming down the hill , oblivious to the zebra crossing.

In the dark mornings/evenings I wear high viz and my dog has a flashing collar that can practically be seen from space and still have near misses.

It does feel like I am taking my life in my hands when using zebra crossing these days as more and more drivers are less courteous, never mind the ones who are blatantly dangerous.

To those drivers who do stop at zebra crossings = THANK-YOU !:wave:

Edited by Badgerramble
removed random emoji

I'm reading the report now.

Over 50% killed when crossing where no facility was available. The next highest is <20% killed on some kind of crossing.

Cyclone, you're right: the figures that I took were for 2012, rather than 2006-10. Mind you, 81 deaths whilst actually on a pedestrian crossing is comparable with all cyclist deaths in London in the same period (72).

I keep a pocket full of small stones and if I see someone speeding/not stopping at a crossing etc I flick one at them and hope it chips their paint or window lol

I sincerely hope you are about 6 foot 6 and 17/18 stone if you are a bloke, because you sure will have a shock coming someday.

Angel1.

Something about the stretch of road between Walkley and the Arts Tower seems to attract terrible drivers. First there's the bend on Howard Road by the garage that people are forever taking at speed... you can have a great time counting how many bits of the wall have been patched up as you walk past. Then there's Beanies only recently recovered from somebody driving through the front. Then the infamous zebra crossing where I nearly met my end- someone about to turn left down Oxford St stopped for me and another car tried to overtake, presumably thinking they were just slowing down to turn. Don't know who looked more shocked, we had a good gurn at each other through her windscreen. To top it off, two recent cycle accidents on Crookes Valley road (remember the kid who got knocked off only for the driver to say something along the lines of "can't stop, blood will upset the kids!")

Think I'll learn to fly, much safer.