Drivers at zebra crossings

I have noticed that drivers are simply NOT stopping at zebra crossings and it is really beginning to irritate me.

The prime offender is the zebra crossing near the exit of Crookes Valley Park (near the Harcourt Road turning). Twice in the last fortnight I have been going to cross and the car does not slow down and in the end has to slam the breaks.

Today the driver of a van looked me in the eye, saw I was intending to cross and began to speed up. I stepped onto the crossing at the same time as he went to speed up and then he swerved slightly to avoid me and then raised his hand in a 'thanks' gesture whilst smiling. It is not acceptable. If people want to drive they should adhere to the rules and respect pedestrians rights.

I worry for children or less mobile people. It really isn't on.

Anyway, rant over - just my tuppence on the matter

Taken from Government website....

Zebra crossings. Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you start to cross. Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing. Remember that traffic does not have to stop until someone has moved onto the crossing. Keep looking both ways, and listening, in case a driver or rider has not seen you and attempts to overtake a vehicle that has stopped.

Just pointing out who has right of way and when - I'm not trying to score points or anything but it's handy to know........

I have noticed that drivers are simply NOT stopping at zebra crossings and it is really beginning to irritate me.

The prime offender is the zebra crossing near the exit of Crookes Valley Park (near the Harcourt Road turning). Twice in the last fortnight I have been going to cross and the car does not slow down and in the end has to slam the breaks.

Today the driver of a van looked me in the eye, saw I was intending to cross and began to speed up. I stepped onto the crossing at the same time as he went to speed up and then he swerved slightly to avoid me and then raised his hand in a 'thanks' gesture whilst smiling. It is not acceptable. If people want to drive they should adhere to the rules and respect pedestrians rights.

I worry for children or less mobile people. It really isn't on.

Anyway, rant over - just my tuppence on the matter

Its because everyone's stressed and busy busy busy, thanks to this ultra efficiency thing that seems to be permeating society at the moment. Collectively we're forgetting the simple things.

Traffic doesn't need to stop until you are on the crossing. You don't step on to the crossing until it's safe to do so.

Traffic doesn't need to stop until you are on the crossing. You don't step on to the crossing until it's safe to do so.

Bit of a catch 22 though if its not safe, you cant step on the crossing. Therefore traffic wont stop. Given the speed and amount of traffic at certain locations round Sheffield, at the point when it is safe to step out chances are you don't need a crossing Either that or you have waited that long you have forgotten why you wanted to cross. As a driver I slow down on the approach to crossing and even give way to pedestrians who 'look' like they want to cross. As a pedestrian, I run the gauntlet as not every one is as conscientiousness as me, but do it when I KNOW its safe and possible for motorists to stop.

But don't get me started on folk who happen to meet their chums at the crossing and stand there nattering on the edge of the road oblivious to other road users

Bit of a catch 22 though if its not safe, you cant step on the crossing. Therefore traffic wont stop. Given the speed and amount of traffic at certain locations round Sheffield, at the point when it is safe to step out chances are you don't need a crossing Either that or you have waited that long you have forgotten why you wanted to cross. As a driver I slow down on the approach to crossing and even give way to pedestrians who 'look' like they want to cross. As a pedestrian, I run the gauntlet as not every one is as conscientiousness as me, but do it when I KNOW its safe and possible for motorists to stop.

But don't get me started on folk who happen to meet their chums at the crossing and stand there nattering on the edge of the road oblivious to other road users

In practice, I don't find a problem.

As a driver, I do the same and will slow down and then give way if someone looks like they want to cross. Similarly, as a pedestrian, I usually find that a driver will do the same for me, so I've never had to wait long to cross.

In practice, I don't find a problem.

As a driver, I do the same and will slow down and then give way if someone looks like they want to cross. Similarly, as a pedestrian, I usually find that a driver will do the same for me, so I've never had to wait long to cross.

Let's be honest - the vast majority of drivers slow to a stop when they see people waiting to cross.

Stick 1 foot on the crossing, you're still safe, but you are now 'On' the crossing and the traffic is obliged to stop.

Today I am in a 30 zone which also is a school zone. The school is a infant/junior. It's only 7:30am and I am still aware of my speed. There are 2 young girls running towards a crossing. I slow even more ready to stop when one of the girls runs straight on the crossing without looking. I at this point am stopped. She looks at me and sticks 2 fingers up at me. Today's youth. Made me laugh though

Today I am in a 30 zone which also is a school zone. The school is a infant/junior. It's only 7:30am and I am still aware of my speed. There are 2 young girls running towards a crossing. I slow even more ready to stop when one of the girls runs straight on the crossing without looking. I at this point am stopped. She looks at me and sticks 2 fingers up at me. Today's youth. Made me laugh though

What fantastic parenting they've had :loopy:

I keep a pocket full of small stones and if I see someone speeding/not stopping at a crossing etc I flick one at them and hope it chips their paint or window lol

I keep a pocket full of small stones and if I see someone speeding/not stopping at a crossing etc I flick one at them and hope it chips their paint or window lol

And if you get caught on video you'll be prosecuted, and if you cause someone to swerve and kill someone then you'll not think you're quite so clever. :loopy: