St Polycarps old tin church Malin Bridge.

I am trying to find out more about the old tin church at Marlin Bridge, it was St Polycarp's church until the new one was built in the 1933, then was used as the church hall. I think it was demolished in about 1970. If anyone has memories of this or any photos could you let me know.

Edited by cjpw
mistakes made

Hi cpjw - I have fond memories of church 'socials', jumble sales etc. at the tin church in the 1950s and 1960s. According to the church's website the "iron church" was built in 1900, replacing an earlier "school church opened as a mission from Wadsley Parish Church". This is shown on a map of 1892 as "Mission Rooms". The 1900 structure consisted of corrugated, bituminised iron sheets on a timber frame, heating being provided by a large, pot-bellied stove. The entry for the church hall in the 1905 directory and others up to the early 1930s also mention schools. By 1936 the entry read "St Polycarp's Parochial Hall. St Polycarp's Institute & Club" and this description continued until the last Kelly's Directory was published in 1973. Here is a 1950s map.

Edited by hillsbro

Thanks for that Hillsborough, you wouldn't know where I could get any pictures of it do you?

Thanks for that Hillsborough, you wouldn't know where I could get any pictures of it do you?
I only wish I had some. I remember the (rather grim-looking) building clearly in my mind's eye but nobody seems to have any photos. Maybe the people at St Polycarp's have an archive?

The hut was still standing around 1977 when I was May Queen! I may be able to find you photos of the inside of the hall but I have to wait to post them until I get them scanned by a friend hence it could take some time. The dancing school I attended would hire the hall every May for the May Queen ceremonies,and I remember attending parties and events there throughout my childhood.I vividly recall the kitchen which had a brick boiler for hot water for the tea.The first person through the door had to fill and light the boiler for the all important tea!!Happy memories.

Thanks for that, l have found 1 photo that shows part of the outside,awaiting help also to scan it and will put it on here.