Microsft software support - scam?

If you get called by a Sheffield Number and the voice on the other side claims to be from the Microsoft Service Department (Or any other Microsoft department) then be aware that it is a scam. It looks like our Indian callcenter friends have now found a way to spoof local numbers.

In my case it was 01142439587 but it is likely they have a whole range of them. So please be aware that even if the number is Sheffield, it can still be a hoax aimed to take control of your computer and seek out sensitive data (credit cards etc.)

It's come up today on the "whocalledme" site. Definitely dodgy.

Anyone who runs a phone system can spoof the CLI. Im not sure if its illegal but it's certainly against ofcom rules to present the wrong number. Contact Ofcom and see if they want to investigate.

I got this the other day, it was an 0114 number and the chap, who was called eric with a thick indian accent!!! said he was from some company called love my offers! just said no thanks then blocked the number.

I got this the other day, it was an 0114 number and the chap, who was called eric with a thick indian accent!!! said he was from some company called love my offers! just said no thanks then blocked the number.

My offers are a website that gets you to sign up for loads of other companies mailing lists. They will probably ask you to do a "short" survey. Reality is they just want to farm your details.

---------- Post added 31-05-2016 at 15:33 ----------

If you get called by a Sheffield Number and the voice on the other side claims to be from the Microsoft Service Department (Or any other Microsoft department) then be aware that it is a scam. It looks like our Indian callcenter friends have now found a way to spoof local numbers.

In my case it was 01142439587 but it is likely they have a whole range of them. So please be aware that even if the number is Sheffield, it can still be a hoax aimed to take control of your computer and seek out sensitive data (credit cards etc.)

Its been doing the rounds for years this. Just say you either dont have a computer or say you have an apple mac. The backdoor trick they try to use doesnt work on macs.

Or you could just simply tell them to #*^$#"*

My offers are a website that gets you to sign up for loads of other companies mailing lists. They will probably ask you to do a "short" survey. Reality is they just want to farm your details.

---------- Post added 31-05-2016 at 15:33 ----------

Its been doing the rounds for years this. Just say you either dont have a computer or say you have an apple mac. The backdoor trick they try to use doesnt work on macs.

Neah, I asked him if he was aware that spoofing phone numbers was illegal and the fact he was on the phone to me was breaching UK law. He sounded confused and hung up on me. I posted this here because I know a lot of (mainly elderly) people decide that the 0114 number must be safe - creating a bit of awareness of the issue still existing.

I'd also like to ask people to make elderly relatives aware that this is possible.

The last time i managed to keep the call going for around 5 mins answering a wide range of their questions, i was giving them some random spoof answers, after a while i had gained their trust into thinking they had a live one here, so i then stopped the young lady and asked if she could answer me a question, she said ok.

I asked how big her nips were, a stunned silence followed after the brief silence she said she did not understand the question, i then repeated it, she got a little flustered and declined to answer me, so i changed my question,

I asked what colour knickers she was wearing, she the hung up!!!!!!

A short time later i received a very abusive call from a young man claiming i had upset his colleague. so i asked him the same questions as before, in a more effeminate style, he was ranting and raving like a lunatic, meanwhile my family and house guests were rolling on the floor with laughter.

god help the cold callers that come to my door, they are always guaranteed to be in for a surprise, lol

The last time i managed to keep the call going for around 5 mins answering a wide range of their questions, i was giving them some random spoof answers, after a while i had gained their trust into thinking they had a live one here, so i then stopped the young lady and asked if she could answer me a question, she said ok.

I asked how big her nips were, a stunned silence followed after the brief silence she said she did not understand the question, i then repeated it, she got a little flustered and declined to answer me, so i changed my question,

A short time later i received a very abusive call from a young man claiming i had upset his colleague. so i asked him the same questions as before, in a more effeminate style, he was ranting and raving like a lunatic, meanwhile my family and house guests were rolling on the floor with laughter.

god help the cold callers that come to my door, they are always guaranteed to be in for a surprise, lol

Why didn't you just say no thanks and put the phone down instead of sexually harressing the lady?? :hihi:

they phoned me first and started the harassment, :hihi:

Or you could just simply tell them to #*^$#"*

They are just doing their jobs.

You sexually harassed people just because you suspected they were fraudsters, I hope you don't live with any females

The daughter of a friend of ours got a job with a call centre. She hated the job, but needed the work. Whenever we get cold calls, we always imagine that it could just be somebody like our friends daughter, and does not deserve to be treated to abuse or foul language. They too are probably doing a job they hate.