Microsft software support - scam?

Ok thanks Pete

This laptop is only a couple of months old - don't really want to reset it already!

Issues are:

1. Intermitently can't copy and paste

2. Intermittent Firefox crashes

3. Silverlight issues

Issues fairly minor - any ideas how to fix? Or common denominator on why they are glitching?

Not had this trouble with a new machine before :help:

I recently had 'issues'...Not the same as you describe, but the computer was running very slowly...and I mean snails pace....Like 2 mins to load a single web page....Some things wouldn't work...It intermittently did random things....I tried pretty much everything to rid it of the problems. Nothing worked. So I wiped the lot....Reinstalled all the operating system...reloaded all my software....it took best part of an entire weekend, what with all the microsoft updates etc. But it worked....It's running really quickly now...No problems at all.

I would suggest you've got some kind of malware/virus on there, which is causing your issues. Even if you can't find them.

Also, the company you contacted are definitely NOT Microsoft....They're a scam outfit, who will basically sabotage your computer, and hold you to ransom to allegedly 'fix' it. They even do this to people who don't have any issues at all...It's a complete scam....Also...remove that teamviewer software they got you to install....The program itself is ok, but it's possible using that they've introduced something nasty onto your computer.

My advice (for what it's worth)....Wipe everything and do a clean install....if you've not been running it too long there won't be too much to lose on a new install....

My advice (for what it's worth)....Wipe everything and do a clean install....if you've not been running it too long there won't be too much to lose on a new install....

Ok thanks

How do I reinstall Mcafee etc - computer will initially be unprotected?

Ok thanks

How do I reinstall Mcafee etc - computer will initially be unprotected?

I wouldn't worry too much about being not protected for a short while, when you reinstall the software.

In regards to McAfee...Is that software bundled with the laptop operating system? If it is, just simply run it...

If it's something you've bought since, then just simply reinstall that too (even if you have to download it on line). You can always run it, as soon as it's active, but it's unlikely you'll pick up a virus in that short time (unless you visit some seriously dodgy websites before you're protected again)

I personally hate McAfee...I wouldn't touch it with a the proverbial bargepole...But that's just me.

Not tried a System restore yet....

This guy from micro pc did show all the errors on the system - it's those I need to deal with!

What do you mean by make an image?

Since it's a scam, why do you believe what he 'showed' you?

Since it's a scam, why do you believe what he 'showed' you?

Because at the time, he wasn't aware it was a scam...These people who do this are very convincing and prey on people not being fully computer literate. There are millions of people who use computers who only know how to turn it on, and do what they need to do, and the inner complexities of it, are a bit of a mystery. I'm not saying Solomon1 is in that category, but plenty of people are.

I think he's now been convinced it was/is a scam.

Solomon1, the best thing to do is flatten it and start again. You can spend days fixing each individual error in the registry, but frankly that way lies misery. Just put in the recovery disk and start again. Sadly its a lesson learnt :( For what its worth I use Avast, but I know some people dont like it and thats fair enough

I personally hate McAfee...I wouldn't touch it with a the proverbial bargepole...But that's just me.

Why Pete?.....

---------- Post added 07-07-2015 at 22:45 ----------

Because at the time, he wasn't aware it was a scam...These people who do this are very convincing and prey on people not being fully computer literate. There are millions of people who use computers who only know how to turn it on, and do what they need to do, and the inner complexities of it, are a bit of a mystery. I'm not saying Solomon1 is in that category, but plenty of people are.

:thumbsup:

---------- Post added 07-07-2015 at 22:46 ----------

Solomon1, the best thing to do is flatten it and start again. You can spend days fixing each individual error in the registry, but frankly that way lies misery. Just put in the recovery disk and start again. Sadly its a lesson learnt :( For what its worth I use Avast, but I know some people dont like it and thats fair enough

Thing is - it's working fine now :hihi:

And whilst I have precious little time to sort minor, intermittent glitches...

I guess I'll just keep tolerating them ;)

Edited by Solomon1

He knows now.

And he still seems to believe what they showed him... :huh:

Why Pete?.....

---------- Post added 07-07-2015 at 22:45 ----------

:thumbsup:

---------- Post added 07-07-2015 at 22:46 ----------

Thing is - it's working fine now :hihi:

And whilst I have precious little time to sort minor, intermittent glitches...

I guess I'll just keep tolerating them ;)

Sadly if you've got malware or some sort of virus, it will only get worse as time goes on....

Is there any evidence that he has?

Is there any evidence that he has?

Well presumably his description of the intermittent glitches he has....

How would he provide evidence?...Remove his hard drive and send it to you for thorough inspection? :suspect:

I personally use AVG 2015, does its job properly...

Always check for suspicious files in Program Files, programs like "PC Optimizer" are malware and they just make your computer slower instead of making it faster...

Also double check for files/programs, that you have NOT installed and are in your Program Files folder, most of the time they come with software that you wanted to download/install..