Microsft software support - scam?

Well presumably his description of the intermittent glitches he has....

How would he provide evidence?...Remove his hard drive and send it to you for thorough inspection? :suspect:

Intermittent 'glitches' with silverlight... Evidence of malware?

Malwarebytes showing no issues... I'd say, probably no issues. I certainly wouldn't believe what some scammers 'showed me' and think that was evidence.

---------- Post added 08-07-2015 at 10:50 ----------

So how do I clear up the trojans on my computer? :help:

What trojans? Apart from a problem with silverlight, which is probably just buggy, what evidence is there for trojans?

---------- Post added 08-07-2015 at 10:51 ----------

The trojans were already on my computer

It has been skipping and whirring for the last month or so...

Uh huh...

Have done - and nada!

But malwarebytes says 'nada'...

It's all very well taking the proverbial....When I had problems recently (I did start a thread over it)..Malware bytes found lots wrong, but it didn't find everything. So although it's pretty good, it's not infallible. Other posters on that thread even said so.

Anyway...I chose the ultimate solution and wiped it clean and did a fresh install...Now it's running perfectly.

I'm not taking anything. I'm confused as to why he thinks he has any kind of malware.

It's not infallible, but there is no real evidence of a problem.

I'm not taking anything. I'm confused as to why he thinks he has any kind of malware.

It's not infallible, but there is no real evidence of a problem.

Well why would he bother starting a thread? Just for his entertainment? (Some might I suppose).....

I know nothing about silverlight..So I can't comment upon that program...But he says it's glitchy and won't do certain things...I would have thought that's an indication...And especially if he's used teamviewer with some dodgy company...I'd want to wipe the lot after getting caught out on that scam.

When I had problems, initially it was running very slow...That's the first sign I had that there was a 'problem'....and it escalated from there...So I had an incling there was something amiss long before I ran MWB or the virus checker...

You know your own computer don't you?...I'm sure you would be aware something was amiss long before anything told you...

Anyway...I chose the ultimate solution and wiped it clean and did a fresh install...Now it's running perfectly.

I always view that as a good ultimate solution, after all it has to be REALLY determined to survive that :)

Mind you always get the extra fun of crap that comes in via the backups :)

I always view that as a good ultimate solution, after all it has to be REALLY determined to survive that :)

Mind you always get the extra fun of crap that comes in via the backups :)

That's why I do a monthly image once I know the Windows update hasn't caused any damage. :)

True, after falling for the scam it could NOW be infected, but it doesn't sound like it was before hand.

Intermittent 'glitches' with silverlight... Evidence of malware?

Malwarebytes showing no issues... I'd say, probably no issues. I certainly wouldn't believe what some scammers 'showed me' and think that was evidence.

---------- Post added 08-07-2015 at 10:50 ----------

What trojans? Apart from a problem with silverlight, which is probably just buggy, what evidence is there for trojans?

---------- Post added 08-07-2015 at 10:51 ----------

Uh huh...

But malwarebytes says 'nada'...

Ok, thank you Cycers

Computer been fine since - silverlight fine

Fingers crossed!

Just as an aside

1. Do you use firefox? Does it crash occasionally?

2. Do you ever have problems with copying and pasting? eg email addresses off the internet into an email address book?

---------- Post added 17-07-2015 at 22:21 ----------

Ahem! :D.................

Fake calls about a Virus threat on your PC are using the 0114 dialling code again.

Please let any family members that aren't tech savvy know the following:

NO ONE from ANY company will ever call you about a virus.

No matter how technical the caller sounds, it's a scam to convince you to do a few simple things on your PC that allows them access to your PC.

They then ask for a minimal fee of 6 or 7 quid to fix it. It's all about the PC access and your account details.

Please inform anyone you know that it is 100% a scam.

Again: NO ONE from ANY company will ever call you about a virus.

Cheers Guys n Gals.

i had a phone call yesterday from someone saying i had something wrong with my computer, ive had these calls before, so i lost my rag and swore at him then put the phone down. he phoned back 2 mins later to ask me what i had said so i told him again. now my phone keeps ringing every 10 mins with no one answering, i rang 1471 caller withheld phone number. my fault for swearing i suppose, how do i stop the calls.

Get a new phone, one of those BT with the built in call blocker that blocks withheld numbers? A bit severe I know but also stops the international spam calls.

Just future reference - calls from hospitals will always come through as a withheld number - there is a way for the hospital switchboard to get around this but may delay any call they want to make to you at any time.

Regards