Were the moon landings fake?

7 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Did you catch that documentary on Netflix about Flat Earth believers?

It's quite hilarious and worth a watch. I was dubious at first as I think giving any oxygen to this sort of thing can be problematic, but the documentary included people demonstrating the very basic science as a rebuttal to their very silly claims, so nobody watching it would be under any illusion as to the absolute absurdity of their position. 

The funniest bit was the flat earthers trying to do their own experiments to prove their point. Don't get me wrong, I think doing experiments to gain a greater understanding of something is brilliant. The trouble was when the experiments came back and disproved their theories, they didn't change their theories, they just invented reasons as to why they didn't show what they wanted (such as 'heaven rays' disrupting the equipment, etc). 

It's just too depressing.

I had one flat-earther tell me he could prove he was right.  He said that if the world was round, airplanes would never reach their destinations.  Instead they would fly off into space.  

I mean, where do you even start with that?

9 minutes ago, bendix said:

It's just too depressing.

I had one flat-earther tell me he could prove he was right.  He said that if the world was round, airplanes would never reach their destinations.  Instead they would fly off into space.  

The problem with idiots like that is that there is none so deaf as those who wont hear.  No amount of proof, logic or just sheer common sense will ever sway them from the determination to be thick

7 minutes ago, bendix said:

You don't. You ignore them. 

I posted the other day that the resurgence of conspiracy discussions on mainstream forums seems to be an unintended feature of the post-Trump, post-Brexit phenomenon but for some reason the post was deleted without explaination.

No one is obliged to argue with these idiots and neither is refusal to argue, an admission that their bonkers theories have any validity.

It's the willingness to want to think differently to the mainstream no matter whether it is wrong

Whatever happened to honesty and telling the truth?

38 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I posted the other day that the resurgence of conspiracy discussions on mainstream forums seems to be an unintended feature of the post-Trump, post-Brexit phenomenon but for some reason the post was deleted without explaination.

I did.  And it was.  I thought deleting the comment was a bit weird, until I realised that Sheffield Forum is of course controlled by the illuminati and that most of the mods are shape-shifting lizards under the control of the global corporations.

And stuff.

You joke, but at least one poster on this forum has defended the crank anti-semite David Icke in the past few days. Paranoia is a very compelling human emotion and is very easy to instil in those without the capacity for rational investigation of a claim.

The strapline 'The TRUTH they don't want you to hear!!!' on a website, is almost aways an indication that what you are about to view is a concoction of badly put together half truths, lies and fake news aimed at those who find it easier to believe something which chimes with their particular world view than risk the possibility that it may be wrong. Being told that they are right but the 'authorities' are conspiring to keep the truth from them is not only very comforting, but saves them the intellectual rigour of trying to find out for themselves.

23 hours ago, MAC33 said:

On topic - do you believe NASA has ever gave us fake images instead of real unaltered photos?

All their pics of the earth from the ISS are clearly fake.

Why are the fake? Whats so clear about them?

and why would NASA fake pictures of the earth taken from the ISS??

Just now, geared said:

and why would NASA fake pictures of the earth taken from the ISS??

This is a very good question, and one thing I never understand about some of these conspiracy theories.  Why would NASA fake the moon landing - to what end?  And why would those who control the world - lizards, jews, the illuminati  . . whatever - want to convince us the world is round and not flat.  What possible advantage is there in that for them?

It's all so very sad and weird.

I think thats half the fun of a good conspiracy theory, the "why" just goes completely out of the window as it gets more convoluted and ridiculous.

3 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

To be fair to MAC33 he was posting conspiracy twaddle well before Trump and Brexit - the high point for conspiracy fruitcake on SF was probably 2010 -2013. Can't say I've seen a resurgence of conspiracy "discussions" on SF in the last few years.

51 minutes ago, Longcol said:

To be fair to MAC33 he was posting conspiracy twaddle well before Trump and Brexit - the high point for conspiracy fruitcake on SF was probably 2010 -2013. Can't say I've seen a resurgence of conspiracy "discussions" on SF in the last few years.

You misunderstand me. I'm not saying conspiracy twaddle didn't exist before Trump and Brexit, I am saying that it had retreated to its own little corner of the internet where conspiraloons could debate the finer points of their favourite evidence-free conspiracy theories without bothering the rest of us. 

They have now come back into the mainstream on the back of populist alt-right cranks like Alex Jones and Steve Bannen. There is also a lot of cross pollination between alt and far right websites and the lizards, antisemitic and Protocols wing of the conspiraloon world, who feed off each others' lunacy.