Forty managers in forty years.

green_man

According to something I have just been reading on another site this is the combined total of managers that United and Wednesday have had in this period. Quite staggering but I guess not that surprising consider the churning of managers we have seen in the more recent years.

I am on call at work and have been trying to put a list together of as many united managers as I can without cheating and using google or the internet. This is my list anyway, how many Owls fans could do the same without cheating? I don't know if I have missed any as well and I don't know if caretaker managers count in the total otherwise I would have put Morgan and Carver in and stuff.

Nigel Adkins

Nigel Clough

David Weir

Danny Wilson

Micky Adams

Gary Speed

Kevin Blackwell

Bryan Robson

Neil Warnock

Adrian Heath

Steve Bruce

Nigel Spackman

Howard Kendall

Dave Bassett

Billy McKewan

Ian Porterfield

Harry Haslam

Guest sibon

Adkins was sitting in the Botanical Gardens this afternoon, looking very much at home. Maybe he'll stick around for a few years and get the average down.

According to something I have just been reading on another site this is the combined total of managers that United and Wednesday have had in this period. Quite staggering but I guess not that surprising consider the churning of managers we have seen in the more recent years.

I am on call at work and have been trying to put a list together of as many united managers as I can without cheating and using google or the internet. This is my list anyway, how many Owls fans could do the same without cheating? I don't know if I have missed any as well and I don't know if caretaker managers count in the total otherwise I would have put Morgan and Carver in and stuff.

Nigel Adkins

Nigel Clough

David Weir

Danny Wilson

Micky Adams

Gary Speed

Kevin Blackwell

Bryan Robson

Neil Warnock

Adrian Heath

Steve Bruce

Nigel Spackman

Howard Kendall

Dave Bassett

Billy McKewan

Ian Porterfield

Harry Haslam

The best one isn't on the list...John Harris. I might have missed the 40 year mark tho'.

Edited by stpetre
add

To be fair I am sure Ken Furphy left us the end of the disastrous 1975/76 season so he can be included. And yes Echo Jimmy Sirrell was there in the late 70's - probably 1976 - 78. Haslam was in charge after that - 1978 World Cup in Argentina, signing Sabella.

OP talks of Morgan and Carver as caretakers. Not sure if Cec Coldwell's stints as caretaker was in the past 40 years. Another one who comes to mind is Steve Thompson - certainly managed us at Old Trafford semi against Newcastle in 1998.

Looking at all those names let's hope the boards got it right with Adkins.

Edited by abbeyedges
Grammatical

To be fair I am sure Ken Furphy left us the end of the disastrous 1975/76 season so he can be included. And yes Echo Jimmy Sirrell was there in the late 70's - probably 1976 - 78. Haslam was in charge after that - 1978 World Cup in Argentina, signing Sabella.

OP talks of Morgan and Carver as caretakers. Not sure if Cec Coldwell's stints as caretaker was in the past 40 years. Another one who comes to mind is Steve Thompson - certainly managed us at Old Trafford semi against Newcastle in 1998.

Looking at all those names let's hope the boards got it right with Adkins.

Jimmy Sirrell was 1975–1977 and we were dreadful mate.

Steve Thompson took over after Spackman left and his first match in charge was the FA Cup match away at Coventry when no one gave us a chance and we drew 1-1 with Marcelo scoring , beat them in a replay at BDTBL :D

Nigel Adkins

Nigel Clough

David Weir

Danny Wilson

Micky Adams

Gary Speed

Kevin Blackwell

Bryan Robson

Neil Warnock

Adrian Heath

Steve Bruce

Nigel Spackman