Is it ok to walk in London with an "ISIS" flag?

When the Soldiors in Luton were on a homecoming parade and some Muslims were holding placards denouncing them as baby killers and some decided to burn Poppy's I didn't see many people saying they had a right to be offensive under freedom of speech/expression.

That to me is double standards and hypocrisy= http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/muslim-antiwar-protesters-abuse-troops-1642232.html

Poppy burners incident= http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/nov/12/arrested-poppy-burning-beware-tyranny-decency

If i go to a muslim country and protest about isis and call them baby killers and murders then burn the quoran do you think ill just get a £50 fine?

In repect of what would more than likely happen i think the poppy burners were treated very fairly dont you.

Protesting about British soldiers on a homecoming march in Britain and calling them what they did shows no respect for the country they are residing in at all.

The flag is a symbol and has real meaning just the same as words (just noises) do. Getting upset about people supporting a murderous, intolerant group is not pointless... it is essential.

I respect your view, i dont agree with it but i do understand it.

if I remember right the flag was very popular amongst Muslims way before ISIS as it is the stamp of a ring that the prophet Mohammed was known to wear and used as a wax seal on letters.

I once did counter terrorism training for my job which included this information. This was post ISIS, and the message was, the flag could be a sign of ISIS or as a message from Mohammed and could therefore be completely innocent. But since ISIS has made this symbol associated with the terror group then we all now associate it this way.

The trouble is that the flag is pretty much exclusively associated with ISIS, in which case if I saw that flag I would probably associate it with the terror group.

When the Soldiors in Luton were on a homecoming parade and some Muslims were holding placards denouncing them as baby killers and some decided to burn Poppy's I didn't see many people saying they had a right to be offensive under freedom of speech/expression.

That to me is double standards and hypocrisy.

The man was openly supporting and promoting a banned, murderous, terrorist group by wearing their colours. It isn't a matter of causing offence but committing one... it is illegal to support a banned terrorist group.

The EDL offend Muslims whilst IS slaughter them by the thousands. Yet you can't bring yourself to condemn someone openly supporting the group murdering Muslims whilst a group are allowed to openly insult Muslims? Your position is very confused.

Whether you think it fair or not, Islamic extremism is a PR disaster for all British Muslims. Ordinary Muslims urgently need to disassociate and distance themselves from the extremism and, as such, saying things like 'why should we condemn Muslim extremists offending non-Muslims whilst EDL extremists offend us?', is a big fail. You either reject and condemn the extremism or you don't. If you try to put conditions on it, if you try to use the extremism as leverage to get something you want, then you align yourself to it... the opposite of what's needed.

If i go to a muslim country and protest about isis and call them baby killers and murders then burn the quoran do you think ill just get a £50 fine?

In repect of what would more than likely happen i think the poppy burners were treated very fairly dont you.

Protesting about British soldiers on a homecoming march in Britain and calling them what they did shows no respect for the country they are residing in at all.

I don't agree with the poppy burning or disrespecting of the soldiors but the point I'm making is what happened to the freedom of speech and right to offend principle that gets talked about on here when it comes to these two incidents?

---------- Post added 06-07-2015 at 15:02 ----------

The man was openly supporting and promoting a banned, murderous, terrorist group by wearing their colours. It isn't a matter of causing offence but committing one... it is illegal to support a banned terrorist group.

The EDL offend Muslims whilst IS slaughter them by the thousands. Yet you can't bring yourself to condemn someone openly supporting the group murdering Muslims whilst a group are allowed to openly insult Muslims? Your position is very confused.

Whether you think it fair or not, Islamic extremism is a PR disaster for all British Muslims. Ordinary Muslims urgently need to disassociate and distance themselves from the extremism and, as such, saying things like 'why should we condemn Muslim extremists offending non-Muslims whilst EDL extremists offend us?', is a big fail. You either reject and condemn the extremism or you don't. If you try to put conditions on it, if you try to use the extremism as leverage to get something you want, then you align yourself to it... the opposite of what's needed.

I don't support ISIS myself but if it's ok for Muslims to be offended against under the freedom of speech banner than its ok for non Muslims to be offended against under the freedom of speech banner.

Absolutely NOT, we are English and we are always getting told oh we can't do this and that or it might upset people or appear racist in some way, he/she shouldn't get away with it either!!

I don't agree with the poppy burning or disrespecting of the soldiors but the point I'm making is what happened to the freedom of speech and right to offend principle that gets talked about on here when it comes to these two incidents?

---------- Post added 06-07-2015 at 15:02 ----------

I don't support ISIS myself but if it's ok for Muslims to be offended against under the freedom of speech banner than its ok for non Muslims to be offended against under the freedom of speech banner.

What happened in each case that makes it unfair?

The poppy muslim burners got £50 fines, the ones who drew the cartoons got slaughtered! People who've burnt the quoran and drew a poppy on a mosque got more than a £50 fine too, the guy walking down the street draped in the flag had no punishment for it.

In that respect you're correct, its unevenhanded treatment but in the totally opposite way you are saying.

We have become too tolerant, too scared and hide our cowardice by pretending we are good citizens deferring matters for the authorities to handle. It is embarrassing.

when you have a political system that tolerates the intolerant('muslims') this is what you get.

The person should have been given an earlier than anticipated in troduction to his/her god.

Guest sibon

Maybe it isn't as clear cut as you think. Link

Who'd have thought that you might over-simplify things? :rolleyes:

The person should have been given an earlier than anticipated in troduction to his/her god.

Oh dear! Suggesting he should have been killed makes you as bad as ISIS.

Hypocrite! :rolleyes:

Would that be by you, or someone to do it for you?