Norfolk Park what was there before?

I'm pretty sure I've read some where that at one time there was a fence/wall and gate down there and to get out of Sheffield at that end of town you had to use the London road across the moor. ( Far gate ?)

Edited by grinder

I was born in 1946 in the Park district (Bungay Street) and my mother often took me to Norfolk Park. I still have many fond memories of the place I spent many hours between the late 1940s and early 1950s in the Park. I seem to remember there was a cafe in the middle unless my mind is playing tricks. The big event was the fair/gala that took place there each year which had a wide assortment of rides, events and sideshows. Great memories.

I was born in 1946 in the Park district (Bungay Street) and my mother often took me to Norfolk Park. I still have many fond memories of the place I spent many hours between the late 1940s and early 1950s in the Park. I seem to remember there was a cafe in the middle unless my mind is playing tricks. The big event was the fair/gala that took place there each year which had a wide assortment of rides, events and sideshows. Great memories.

You are correct that there was a cafe in the park.

it had a half-timbered appearance, but was demolished (after what I think was a supposed arson attack) and of that building, all that is left is a stone door way.

this was the cafe some years ago

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;v00939&pos=64&action=zoom&id=42321

this was the cafe after the arson (showing the only remaining bit of the structure, the doorway):-

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;w01805&pos=580&action=zoom&id=47020

and this is how the doorway appears, today, with the original inscription over the lintel:-

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;v01622&pos=741&action=zoom&id=42965

and finally,

the new cafe on the site of the old cafe in the park

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;a00392&pos=605&action=zoom&id=348

thanks to picturesheffield's site for those memories! :)

They used to rent out the place for functions. My granddad's funeral reception was held there. 1962. Cold plate. What else?

Going back a bit here but I remember seeing a painting of the park with horses and carriages going round the drive. I know Queen Victoria visited there 1897 so I wonder if it could have been of her visit ....

Can't remember now if it was in the cafe or Weston park museum, does anyone else remember it ?

Going back a bit here but I remember seeing a painting of the park with horses and carriages going round the drive. I know Queen Victoria visited there 1897 so I wonder if it could have been of her visit ....

Can't remember now if it was in the cafe or Weston park museum, does anyone else remember it ?

Victoria also visited Norfolk Park when she opened the town hall.

X-thousands of local children sang for her there.

I believe it was part of her diamond jubilee celebrations.

Think it was the same visit then PT,

I bought this key ring replica medallion made by the friends of Norfolk heritage park 2005 at the park a while back, and it says on it " In commemoration of the loving welcome given by the children of Sheffield to Queen Victoria in Norfolk park.

Sheffield May 1897....

PS

Sheffield was granted a City charter in 1893...

Edited by grinder

Hi,

This will sort-out who has a good memory.

Does anybody remember the Corporation Transport parking buses over-night in Norfolk Park during WWII ?

I remember going in the park with my Mum & Dad one summer Saturday night during the war and the avenue leading-in from Granville road was lined, both-sides with double decker buses. They were well hidden under the tree canopy.

Don't know if this was done in other parks. Of course all the buses had the "Chain-On" to prevent people getting on!!!!! particularly small boys ???

Regards

hi rossyrooney

you must be about the same age as me ,jam sandwiches and a bottle of tizer or the drinking fountain near the cottages happy days. you wouldn't let your kids do that now

greasemonkey

hi rossyrooney

you must be about the same age as me ,jam sandwiches and a bottle of tizer or the drinking fountain near the cottages happy days. you wouldn't let your kids do that now

greasemonkey

sadly Rossy passed away a while ago, so please dont expect a response.

I have a hazy memory of wandering about there in summer holidays in the late 1950s. As I remember it, it was just rough uncultivated land with gorse & broom bushes.

Over 300 Sheffield roads are named after relations of the Duke of Norfolk, Edward and Charlotte Road are two of them.