Most iconic Sheffield Buildings?

It says a lot that we're kind of struggling for a singular truly Sheffield Icon building. My vote would have been the cooling towers, - a special example of a particular building type, and probably at this point completely individual compared to any other example of the type anywhere in the world. The proportions, curves, the consideration of decoration at the top. They were literally unique to Sheffield, and at 70ish years old probably some of the oldest examples of such structures in the world.

Yes, they were, so it's a shame that they were demolished on perhaps-dubious "safety" grounds.

It says a lot that we're kind of struggling for a singular truly Sheffield Icon building. My vote would have been the cooling towers, - a special example of a particular building type, and probably at this point completely individual compared to any other example of the type anywhere in the world. The proportions, curves, the consideration of decoration at the top. They were literally unique to Sheffield, and at 70ish years old probably some of the oldest examples of such structures in the world.

I'll second that.

I'll second that.

I'll third it. I'd be staggered if you showed a picture of any building in Sheffield (bar the football grounds) to most people south of derby that they could identify. I'd plump for Meadowhall - it's more well known. There are some nice buildings, but iconic?

For me it's the Arts Tower. a half size copy of the building in Manhattan and a fabulous example of 1960s Brutalist archetecture. Clean lines and imposing presence, brilliant.

For me it's the Arts Tower. a half size copy of the building in Manhattan and a fabulous example of 1960s Brutalist archetecture. Clean lines and imposing presence, brilliant.

It looks great when it's all lit up too.

Superb views from the top, and lets not forget the fantastic Paternoster!

I also like the presence and clean lines of the Arts Tower. Unfortunately the presence will be less imposing from some viewpoints now the 16 storey student accommodation block has been granted permission right next to it (on the Star and Garter site).

Does the Arts Tower still have that 'paternoster', the odd open-front lift thing that never stops?

Does the Arts Tower still have that 'paternoster', the odd open-front lift thing that never stops?

Yes, it's one of very few still operating and is far more efficient at moving people than conventional lifts.

Have to ask as we've been wanting to do this for a while.. when do the free tours run please? Thanks

Dunno, I couldn't find anything online, why not phone the town hall and ask them?

What about the cementation furnace on Doncaster Street? It is quite unique and I believe the only one in the UK if not the world