Most iconic Sheffield Buildings?

I would opt for a shot of the Bishops House, including Meersbrook Park and the view over the city from there.

It's not my Tumblr account, just a photo I liked when I searched for one showing the original Hyde Park flats. The photo is from before my time in Sheffield, I don't know where those railway arches were.

The arches are from the City goods yard that was demolished to make way for Park Square roundabout.I am old enough to remember what it was like before the parkway.The most iconic building for me has to be the Town Hall.

The arches are from the City goods yard that was demolished to make way for Park Square roundabout.I am old enough to remember what it was like before the parkway.The most iconic building for me has to be the Town Hall.

I don't think it is. It's further away from the Parkway, I'm looking through my pictures, as I think I have a similar one.

I don't think it is. It's further away from the Parkway, I'm looking through my pictures, as I think I have a similar one.

Could be Park goods yard instead.I am pretty sure the photo is taken from victoria station road.https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3862967,-1.4599447,3a,49.9y,102.25h,68.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxhe3OzdA6XBpr70t_0d7eA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

No I can't find it. It's in my photos at my Mums house. I don't have it on the computer. This picture is taken from about here I think looking at them in comparison, perhaps a bit further down but there are trees there now

---------- Post added 25-02-2017 at 19:29 ----------

ah cross posted area!

---------- Post added 25-02-2017 at 19:31 ----------

Could be Park goods yard instead.I am pretty sure the photo is taken from victoria station road.https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3862967,-1.4599447,3a,49.9y,102.25h,68.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxhe3OzdA6XBpr70t_0d7eA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Yeah it looks a bit close for the City one.

This is a close up to scroll across both images

No I can't find it. It's in my photos at my Mums house. I don't have it on the computer. This picture is taken from about here I think looking at them in comparison, perhaps a bit further down but there are trees there now

---------- Post added 25-02-2017 at 19:29 ----------

ah cross posted area!

---------- Post added 25-02-2017 at 19:31 ----------

Yeah it looks a bit close for the City one.

This is a close up to scroll across both images

Yeah,its definitely where i remember the arches so it must be Park goods yard.

The Town Hall. If you spend the time to walk around it and look inside you'll understand why it's Grade 1 listed. Yes, you can go inside any time it's open, but not upstairs except on one of the regular free tours.

Previously Hyde Park flats were THE Sheffield building, but they demolished the central block and reclad the other blocks so it's nothing special now. Back in the day it looked monumental and towered over Park Hill -

http://myparkhill.tumblr.com/image/108926440030

Wow great photo, that is a dominating skyline. Where is the viewpoint?

ps as kids we climbed up through the rotating spiked bars onto the top of the the flats. Still remember the awesome "top of the world" feeling. Makes me feel dizzy looking back!!

Edited by blackydog

ps as kids we climbed up through the rotating spiked bars onto the top of the the flats. Still remember the awesome "top of the world" feeling. Makes me feel dizzy looking back!!

That photo looks like it could have been stretched horizontally just a little but that would make it look better.

Station approach going to Victoria Station Hotel. At a guess, somewhere round here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3862075,-1.4600421,3a,75y,132.04h,90.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKBk8My0sbzrNkOkBn1M2fQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Must be

The arches at the front are still built in and integrated with the Hilton on the canal side.

It says a lot that we're kind of struggling for a singular truly Sheffield Icon building. My vote would have been the cooling towers, - a special example of a particular building type, and probably at this point completely individual compared to any other example of the type anywhere in the world. The proportions, curves, the consideration of decoration at the top. They were literally unique to Sheffield, and at 70ish years old probably some of the oldest examples of such structures in the world.