Most iconic Sheffield Buildings?

For me it is Forgemasters, this view in particular. But there is a lot to be said for Pinstone Street with the Peace Garden and Town Hall as well.

The Town Hall. If you spend the time to walk around it and look inside you'll understand why it's Grade 1 listed. Yes, you can go inside any time it's open, but not upstairs except on one of the regular free tours.

Previously Hyde Park flats were THE Sheffield building, but they demolished the central block and reclad the other blocks so it's nothing special now. Back in the day it looked monumental and towered over Park Hill -

http://myparkhill.tumblr.com/image/108926440030

Just had a look at your Tumblr photo , what are the half demolished arches never seen them before?

---------- Post added 05-07-2015 at 10:10 ----------

What a stupid new law, like to know how they going to enforce it given their is millions of images on the Net. What a crazy world we live in.

For me it is Forgemasters, this view in particular. But there is a lot to be said for Pinstone Street with the Peace Garden and Town Hall as well.

Good call on the street with Forgemasters - Brightside Street

Actually a shadow of its former self since a lot has been demolished. It used to be big old steel mills on both sides all the way along and in my mind was called the Valley of the Shadow of Death. It's been tidied up and cleaned up a lot.

There was a bit of a stink about demolishing the large factory at the other end where the road curves round. It had architectural merit and historical interest as the place that had cast Spitfire engines. Or something like that.

Good call on the street with Forgemasters - Brightside Street

Actually a shadow of its former self since a lot has been demolished. It used to be big old steel mills on both sides all the way along and in my mind was called the Valley of the Shadow of Death. It's been tidied up and cleaned up a lot.

There was a bit of a stink about demolishing the large factory at the other end where the road curves round. It had architectural merit and historical interest as the place that had cast Spitfire engines. Or something like that.

Didn't know that, although I was aware that the new office-estate at the end towards Meadowhall must have replaced something. I wonder if there are old images of how it was?

Another vote for the Town Hall.

Forgemasters.

It should have been Tinsley Towers but a bit late now. Still a Sheffield icon if you find a photo though

Nobody suggesting the cheese grater? :P

I think that think Sheffield City Council's planning policy has held this city back for a long time. Sheffield needs to find a unique identity and modern architecture could be key.

Something like 'The Skyscraper Valley'

I was under the impression the reason Sheffield is a load of mismatched building is precisely BECAUSE they go for modern buildings, without any consideration for what fits the area.

I'm not sure if its the councils planning policy at fault though, I do not understand the details and legalities they have to follow.

I'm certainly confused who you think would do better. We DID have the Lib Dems in for a while and all they managed to do was lose the money that was meant to revamp the city centre, causing the huge delay we had getting it done.

It would have been the twin cooling towers if they hasn't have blown them up:(

Nobody suggesting the cheese grater? :P

I was under the impression the reason Sheffield is a load of mismatched building is precisely BECAUSE they go for modern buildings, without any consideration for what fits the area.

I'm not sure if its the councils planning policy at fault though, I do not understand the details and legalities they have to follow.

I'm certainly confused who you think would do better. We DID have the Lib Dems in for a while and all they managed to do was lose the money that was meant to revamp the city centre, causing the huge delay we had getting it done.

Many of the much maligned buildings in Sheffield City centre Castle Market, Park Hill etc date from a time when the council took an active role in developing an architectural vision for the city, in the 1950s and 60s the city council developed it's own vision for the visual feel of the city centre. These days councils don't really play a role in the architectural makeup of the city - their role has been reduced to gatekeeper unless they themselves instigate the development.

Just had a look at your Tumblr photo , what are the half demolished arches never seen them before?

It's not my Tumblr account, just a photo I liked when I searched for one showing the original Hyde Park flats. The photo is from before my time in Sheffield, I don't know where those railway arches were.