Thornton's Chocolates

Re Archer Road, isn't there a supermarket on that site now?

Sainsbury's supermarket is on the former Pickford Holland refractory site and some of the car park extends onto part of the former Laycock Engineering site, as does McDonald's, Pure Gym etc, Thornton's was where the apartments are as previously mentioned.

There are some old pics of the area on this site:

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw038993

Quite a few people I've spoken to can remember Thornton's being on Archer Road, but no one call recall them being on Stalker Lees Road, I've walked up and down the road and there in no sign of where the chocolate factory once was, although their website say it was there. I'd like someone to give a hint as to where the factory was.

I would have thought Thorntons would be glad to help with your enquiry. There is only a couple of sites i would guess they were based on Stalker Lees as its only a short road. Clamark House or near would be my guess, its so long ago they were there. Hillsbro would probably be able to check the actual no of the building, he is a great source of information.

Edited by only_me

Thorntons Millhouses factory was at the junction of Smithywood crescent Ulveston road and Archer Road.

Laycock eng owned both sides of Archer road around the bottom of Fraser road.

The entrance to Sainburys car park is where the offices and main gates were for the Archer road factory.

Wife worked there about 36 yrs ago Susan Ibbotson at Archer Rd

do you mean the one on archer road, millhouses, as mentioned by me a few posts back?

It probably was that, only I thought it was on the main road. I remember a guy who had worked there saying toffee used to stuck everywhere. Implying the place wasn't all that clean.

in 1963 owards,iworked at hattersly&davidsons whosub contracted to thorntons.it struck me as not clean.......

Does anyone have any memories or remember where the Thornton's chocolate factory was on Stalker Lees Road

No but I love their chic's have to Oder them online as I now live in New Zealand:)