Have you moved away from Sheffield?

I lived in Sheffield until I was 43 (twenty years ago) there I was divorced, child ready to fly the nest, when I met a lovely man from Suffolk. I moved to Ipswich, re married and then four years ago when we retired we moved just down the road to Felixstowe - I love it my little house by the sea! Until recently I came back to Sheffield every month to see my old mum(now 90) who now lives

in a nice care home on the next road to me. I still have friends in Sheffield and am amazed at how up market it is now - trendy cafes and restaurants and the great music and art scene. All in all though, I do love Suffolk and when I return on the A14 see the SUFFOLK sign and think 'great home at last'.

My thoughts exactly, Sheffield was great growing up, not a place that I would want to be now. I miss the old Sheffield, I don;t miss to-days Sheffield.

I've worked all over the world and now live in Thailand for the past 16 years.

Hi Garthai - where are you based here? I am east of Pattaya. I hope you haven't been caught up in the ongoing floods.

I moved away from Sheffield 15 months ago. Met a lovely man and moved to Scunthorpe. I'm very happy with my partner, but i can't wait to move back to Sheffield. We visit my mum and son often and then i have to come back here. Maybe home is where the heart is after all. :)

I often get an urge to move away from Sheffield not because i don,t like it here but to broaden or change a life style i have been acustomed to for 43 years.

I would like to hear from anyone who has done that and where and what they are doing now.

I am a family man so stories from single people who have moved to Ibiza for a better nightlife and more birds is,nt relevant in my case.

Have you moved abroad or stayed in this country, Is it the best thing you ever did or can,t wait to get back to Sheffield.

All your stories would be welcome wether they are horror stories or pure bliss and any recomendations would also be adeared to.

I know this is a very old thread, but the topic is timeless so thought I would post.

I have lots of relatives/friends who emigrated, non have regretted it and all stayed in their chosen countries.

Tanners, you are still here so maybe it is not for you?

One day I will move abroad, and my chosen place will be Ibiza. not for the wild party element, but for the beautiful relaxed lifestyle it offers. I don't think I could ever leave England and cut the cord completely, but to live there part time and have a flat here in my home town to come back to is my goal.

This could be a reality within about five years, but I prefer to take a bit longer and make sure I have thought it out properly.

I know this is a very old thread, but the topic is timeless so thought I would post.

I have lots of relatives/friends who emigrated, non have regretted it and all stayed in their chosen countries.

Tanners, you are still here so maybe it is not for you?

One day I will move abroad, and my chosen place will be Ibiza. not for the wild party element, but for the beautiful relaxed lifestyle it offers. I don't think I could ever leave England and cut the cord completely, but to live there part time and have a flat here in my home town to come back to is my goal.

This could be a reality within about five years, but I prefer to take a bit longer and make sure I have thought it out properly.

Bet you are still here when the hearse comes:confused:

Bet you are still here when the hearse comes:confused:

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi: That's what happens in most cases.

As the song goes...

"I met a man who had a dream he'd had since he was 20, I met that man when he was 81"

HI Si@guisborough l see you worked at Porter Plant l worked at the Town Hall with a Bob Porter he was a portly man same as l am now, when ever l have seen the ad; for that firm, l have thought Bob may have been connected,was there a Bob at the firm?.he had one or two sons in the building trade.and lived in that area. Cheers Arfer Mo.

yes paul, i was dragged kickin & screamin away from sheffield in 1964 when i was eleven in a move by my parents to find "greener grass".leicester is ok but we consequently lost touch with our family in sheffield & at 58yrs old i still miss both sheffield & my family. as i have finally joined the 21st centuray now & got a p.c. i mite be able to do somthing about finding them.

if you intend to up sticks, DON'T BURN YOUR BRIDGES PAL.

I often get an urge to move away from Sheffield not because i don,t like it here but to broaden or change a life style i have been acustomed to for 43 years.

I would like to hear from anyone who has done that and where and what they are doing now.

I am a family man so stories from single people who have moved to Ibiza for a better nightlife and more birds is,nt relevant in my case.

Have you moved abroad or stayed in this country, Is it the best thing you ever did or can,t wait to get back to Sheffield.

All your stories would be welcome wether they are horror stories or pure bliss and any recomendations would also be adeared to.

HI Paul. lv'e read most of your threads and answers, have you decided? nobody will do that for you, but don't leave it too late like me, l was 80 when l sold up and followed my sons and grandkids and came to S/West France, don't let anyone try to tell you they do not like the French, as you will know its who you fall out with individually and not the country they live in, l have yet to dislike any French person in over 7 years, if your'e retired and ready for some peace and quiet l can recommend the rural area of France,you can take your pick lots to chose from, l don't know where you live Paul, but if say youre in the middle bracket of the average working mans home,if you sold i'ii bet you would be able to get a much better home and end up with at least double your bank balance,thats on average. l bought almost an acre of almost level land and had a 2 bed bungalow built with a 12 ft wide and 20ft long garage on this site complete with small swimming pool, and a third of it to garden and fruit trees and more than doubled mine. Cheers and good luck what ever you decide. yours Arfer Mo.

HI Paul. lv'e read most of your threads and answers, have you decided? nobody will do that for you, but don't leave it too late like me, l was 80 when l sold up and followed my sons and grandkids and came to S/West France, don't let anyone try to tell you they do not like the French, as you will know its who you fall out with individually and not the country they live in, l have yet to dislike any French person in over 7 years, if your'e retired and ready for some peace and quiet l can recommend the rural area of France,you can take your pick lots to chose from, l don't know where you live Paul, but if say youre in the middle bracket of the average working mans home,if you sold i'ii bet you would be able to get a much better home and end up with at least double your bank balance,thats on average. l bought almost an acre of almost level land and had a 2 bed bungalow built with a 12 ft wide and 20ft long garage on this site complete with small swimming pool, and a third of it to garden and fruit trees and more than doubled mine. Cheers and good luck what ever you decide. yours Arfer Mo.

Hi Arfer Mo supprised to see this old thread risen again but I haven't done anything yet I'm only 52 so not to in a rush.

The trouble is my work and don't retire till 2019 but thats when I may do something about it, thinking of france to be honest not to far but a complete different lifestyle...

I emigrated to Canada in 1970; it was one of the best things I've ever done. Beautiful country, lovely people.

I lived in Sheffield for 9 years after living in and around Worksop for the previous 20 years. My three kids were all born in the NGH, but we realised that bringing them up in Handsworth was not ideal, so we sold up and moved to Devon in 2000.

Devon was nice, but just not quite right, so we moved to West Wales in 2003, and to be absolutely honest it's the best place I have ever lived in. Don't believe all the stories about the Welsh hating the English, it's not all true. We were accepted almost immediately, even in a mainly Welsh speaking area, we only let on some years later that both the wife and I were from Welsh families.

If you muck in, help out at local events, let your kids go to the local school, then you soon make friends and contacts. I think this is true for almost everywhere.