Have you moved away from Sheffield?

Thirty years to the day that Dad started uni (Polytechnic as it was in those days), eldest daughter has just started out on the student trail. So, on a visit to the UK to see her, decided to have a look at where she will be living in Sheffield.

Driving around the city, I recognized, well, not a lot. Arundel Gate has changed beyond recognition - and where has the Nelson Mandela students union building gone ? The Wedding Cake has disappeared as have the Egg Boxes, but I'm not going to cry over that one. Despite all the changes, I still find that Sheffield has a magic charm to it, the folk are generally warm & hospitable. Only blot on the copybook is the presence of Chavs and I've heard some scary stories of drug gangs in some areas of the city....

Was born in Nether Edge hospital in 1945, grew up on Eccleshall Rd opposite the Star Cinema. Attended St Marie's and St Vincent's Catholic schools, joined the army in 1960 and served in Libya, Cyprus, Germany, Norway, Persian Gulf, and the USA. Visited France, Belgium, Denmark, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Africa and Korea. Was an army pilot flying helicopters and retired to remain in the USA. Have visited most US states and lived in Alabama, Texas, Illinois, and now Florida. There is a huge world outside Sheffield and I'm glad I found it. I have only been back to Sheffield a few times, each time finding that I was growing further from my mates. We just had less in common, I suppose. I would say that living elsewhere in the world is not hard. Mostly, it's a matter of filling out the right paperwork. I love Florida for the weather and the great lifestyle.

Have just been reading this thread,extremly interesting.In 1950/60 i was driving long distance for H. MATTHEWS,and other's,eventually driving for RILEY'S at Intake.On sundays i would always have my sunday dinner at home before setting out for my intended destination.One sunday whilst waiting for the yorkshire's to rise,i was doodleing in the ads,in the back of the paper,you know:run a catalog club-holiday lets ,etc.One ad said"opertunity's in CANADA,so i filled that one in as well,not intending to send any of them in.However upon my return home,my wife said "i've mailed that ad of to CANADA for you.Eight months later,oct.66,we landed in WINNIPEG. MANITOBA.We landed there with 3 kids aged 7 5 3,six hundred pounds to our name,no job,didn't know anyone,living in a cheap hotel(immigration recomended),and paying for that out of our finances.First six months was a struggle,but we managed,in spite of my wife getting pregnant just weeks after we got there.New house-new baby,good fresh canadian air.My wife was not amused at the time.Three weeks after our arrival it snowed and BELIEVE me,we did not see the ground again until the next may.However we lived in WINNIPEG,for the next 12 years(must have been mad),before moving to beautiful b.c..Now living 40 miles east of Vancouver,in LANGLEY.Glad to say that 4 kids,122 foster kids,13 gran kids, 7 g,gran kids ,plus two more in the spring, we are still around.Managed to get home quite often,over the years,and have had lots of great holidays in ENGLAND and abroad,that we may not have been able to afford in the u.k.You cannot beat the british country side for beauty or the people for friendliness.So i'm happy to get home(always will be to me) as often as possible.Best wishes for 2011,health and happiness to everyone.eightlegger.

I've got some thoughts about moving away to add to my earlier post: Over the years, I have met dozens of folk that have moved away from their own towns, the latest being my daughter and family that have moved over to Florida to live near me. Some folks have done well and some have scurried back to where they came from.The only way to make a go of it is to realize that wherever you are, is not where you came from. You have to stop complaining that things are different. You will probably be homesick,but if you get on with life the homesickness fades over time. When I first moved to the USA, if did not seem as foreign as say, Germany, because they speak (sort of), English. It took about 6 months as a civilian after I left the army before I realized that the USA is very much a foreign country to a Brit. There are different schools of thought, different institutions, different political systems, different social structure etc. It also took quite a while before I realized that they did not care about my complaints, and that they were not going to change anything just because I told them things were different elsewhere. Once you get over all that, you can settle down. I did. Of all the things I miss most, I miss the sense of humour. (my spell check is telling me this should be spelled humor). I have learned to laugh at many of the same things the natives do, but I miss the irony and the dry wit of my homeland.

In the USA, my son had the good fortune to go to one of the top ten high schools in Illinois, Stevenson in Buffalo Grove (Chicago area). There were 4000 students. The parking area was full of students' cars (they can drive at 16), many of them new beemers (not my son's, he had one of my old hand-me downs). The students had more than 100 extracurricular societies and hobby, and sports activities additional to the academic programme. The school had an Olympic size swimming pool on the premises that put poor old Glossop Road baths to shame, two theatres that most small towns would be glad to have, and very high academic standards. My son played ice hockey for the school and loved it.

On a rare visit to Sheffield, I took him once to see the remains of St. Vincent's on Solly St where I went to school, and asked him how he would prefer to go to school there. He looked around him with alarm at the poor neighbourhood. I told him that the only extracurricular activity I had there was getting home without running into one of the bullies. (you know who you are). Ah, yes, happy days.

We are now fully integrated in American society. My son went to university here and is an American cop. My son in law owns two car repair garages (shops in the local vernacular) here in Florida. I have lived and worked in the US since I left the army in 1991, and I still have not lost my Brit accent, but it is toned down a lot. I'm a Sheffielder at heart, but I'll never live there again. Oh, it is January, and I am sitting in my shorts and T shirt with the windows open.

I have truly loved reading the postings on this site, as it has made me think more about Sheffield that I had thought in the last 40 years. If you too do decide to move, you will find that there are active Brit communities in most countries all over the world. It is a good way to find a friendly accent and help if you want.

Sorry this is long. Anyway happy new year to all.

My sister & brother-in-law went out to South Africa Mary(nee McCurdy) & Gary Robertson nearly 20 years ago now living in Botswana Gary doing very well working for Debears the diamond people Mary enjoying the good life they will vnever come back here to live I miss them lots but it is wonderful to go out to visit and see all the wild animals ;)

I was born in Meadowhead in 1929, left Meersbrook Bank School in 1943 and worked in the painting and Decorating business until I was called up for National Service. Tried to work at my old job but there was no work in winter so I re-enlisted and came out of the army in 1973. Settled in Wivenhoe,near Colchester for 14 years then built a boat and sailed down to Spain. Bought a flat in Benalmadena but sailed around the Med. in summer. Moved to the USA in 1994 Florida where I've been ever since. My wife and I bought an RV and traveled all over the east coast of USA and Canada, we met a Sheffield woman who was part owner of an R.V park in PEI. The bridge hadn't been built then but we knew it was well into planning stage but we went by ferry, it's a lovely island.

I can't say I've ever missed Sheffield, but I do miss Sheffielders, take it from a world traveller theres nowt wrong wi most Sheffielders. Some of the most gracious people I've met are the Chinese and the Omanis ( Oman) the worst were Saudis and Essex people.

Florida, you're 82 years old :o...are you sure :confused:

Left sheffield 1976 and moved around a while before settling in Bermuda 25 years ago.Have a job I enjoy (most of the time ) and a good standard of living.Done quite a bit of traveling and visited quite a few countries ,but always get back to Sheffield once a year to see my sisters and the fabulous S.W.F.C.

will be there in 3 weeks and looking forward to it ,but don't know if I could settle back in Sheffield for good .

Yup. Left a couple of years ago now living in sunny Houston, Texas.

Left sheffield 1976 and moved around a while before settling in Bermuda 25 years ago.Have a job I enjoy (most of the time ) and a good standard of living.Done quite a bit of traveling and visited quite a few countries ,but always get back to Sheffield once a year to see my sisters and the fabulous S.W.F.C.

will be there in 3 weeks and looking forward to it ,but don't know if I could settle back in Sheffield for good .

Hi Pat, Just read this post, you must be due in Sheffield soon, must arrange a meet as I am working not too far away on a new power station near Retford each Monday to Friday then home to London at weekends.

I was born in Darnall and moved to London in 79, lived there ever since,worked for the same company for 36 years now. I went to the Orient match last weekend, terrible performance.

Born and bred in Sheffield, Bombed mit der Luftwaffe, they missed me and I am still here.

I was born in Sheffield, lived at Carbrook, Attercliffe, Darnall, Woodhouse, jpoinrd the Army at 18 and went to Germany. Lived in Dorset for a few years andd now live in Ontario Canada, LOVE IT!!!! Still miss Sheffield though and come "home" every 18 months, although my husband hates it when I say home,. He says Canada is home, but Sheffield is always home to me

I moved from Sheffield and I now live near aintree Liverpool, but I still get back

to Sheffield 2 or 3 times a year.