Have you moved away from Sheffield?

Born in Sheffield at 561 Pitsmoor Rd attended Firs Hill School Moved from Pitsmoor Rd to Ditchingham Rd where i attended Ellsmere Rd school then finished my schooling at Burngreave school. Left School in 1957 had various jobs before joining the Army in 1959 and went on to complete a full career of 22 years. Retired from the Army in 1983 and got a job as a civil servant for the next 20 years. Since my retirement i now live in Cyprus.

You've had quite a few responses to your posting Paul, so I'm not sure mine will add any new insights. I grew up in Sheffield: Park, Stradbroke, then as a student moved around the city a bit. Moved to Canada in '69 because I'd graduated from Sheffield University and couldn't find a job in UK. Never intended to stay over here. Now, I can't see myself returning. I've had a very good career in Canada and recently retired from university teaching. Lived on the west coast of Canada (Vancouver), then the far east coast (Newfoundland), for the past 11 yrs on Prince Edward Island, Anne of Green Gables country. I love Canada. It's my home now. Do I miss Sheffield? Yes, but alas, the Sheffield I used to know is no longer there. I enjoy this Forum because it brings bk memories of the old days. I'll be visiting Sheffield later this year as I'm planning to start a writing project (better to call it that for now, as I'd rather not be presumptuous and call it a "book" at this early stage) based around my childhood. Cheers.

I often get an urge to move away from Sheffield not because i don,t like it here but to broaden or change a life style i have been acustomed to for 43 years.

I would like to hear from anyone who has done that and where and what they are doing now.

I am a family man so stories from single people who have moved to Ibiza for a better nightlife and more birds is,nt relevant in my case.

Have you moved abroad or stayed in this country, Is it the best thing you ever did or can,t wait to get back to Sheffield.

All your stories would be welcome wether they are horror stories or pure bliss and any recomendations would also be adeared to.

hi,

left sheffield in 1960 to do national service and have only returned for a quick visit now and again, still have a few relatives in the area, I have lived in the midlands ever since. Sheffield seems to be thriving but there is something missing now. In the fifties it was a city that had been created by the people who had lived and prospered there and was in its own way unique. I haven`t visited all the cities in the u.k but I suspect that they have all, like sheffield, been tescoed and morrisoned to death and really you could, accents aside, be any where in the country. I have fond memories sheff. but they are all in the past and for me that was the best of sheffield. The place I live now is no different and has had every ounce of character ironed out of it in the last forty years. All the old names have gone , replaced by all the usual ones that have taken over every other city in the land.We may all be better off but we have definitly lost something.

Hi Paul

Been a while since i last sent you a message.;)

I moved from Attercliffe Sheffield To Torquay South Devon after fancying a change.

Been here now for 16 years.Its nice here what with the weather and scenic views.On the other hand though its fullof all the undesirables that come down from up north for an easy life.Seems like all the seaside towns down here are turning this way.Gets worse every year.:gag:

I miss the community too.Live in a flat here and never see my neighbours let alone a good chat.

I will be moving back in a year or so,if not sheffield then york or around the areas depending on jobs.:huh:

So all said i do love it down here,nothing better on a day off to go sit and watch the sea and listen to the tide wash in.

but it seems to go abroad is the best alternative.As nobody seems to look back.I do get dissapointed when i come back to visit at how much has changed.but my memories keep my roots in sheffield:love:

Cheers Mate

Andy

Hi Paul,

I moved to Rotherham, then Doncaster, then decided it wasn't far enough away!! I always had a yearning for the sea and after a life of crap, no self-belief or self-esteem, I decided I would rather live life than just survive it..I moved to North Northumberland 4 years ago in June, with nothing but a hackney carriage plate on my car, and my first months' rent and not knowing a soul here...4 years on, I run a very successful taxi firm. I took on another owner/driver who I had become firm friends with up here, who last year became my husband! I live in an adorable large farmhouse by the sea, and I have also accidently become a music promoter in the last 12 months...Life couldn't be better..my only regret?....that I didn't find the courage to do it sooner!

Follow Your Heart is what I say...

Regards.

Fiona.

PS..I'm around the same age as you i think..

and Life does begin at 40!!

PS..I'm around the same age as you i think..

and Life does begin at 40!!

I think it reallly does Fiona, life certainly gets easier in a funny sort of way after 40.

Unfortunatley I,m way on the wrong side of 40 now, right side of 50.. I,m 48.

Sounds very nice were you are, it just goes to show that you don't always have to move abroad to be happy.

I think themain problem with this country after the rip off government whch i won't go into, is the weather.

I would imagine its even more bleak were you are but cozy though.

Thanks for the reply Fiona, and good luck with your taxi firm.

PS: I will be up in Lindsfarne this summer, might need a cab from the train station.

Hi Paul

Been a while since i last sent you a message.;)

I moved from Attercliffe Sheffield To Torquay South Devon after fancying a change.

Been here now for 16 years.Its nice here what with the weather and scenic views.On the other hand though its fullof all the undesirables that come down from up north for an easy life.Seems like all the seaside towns down here are turning this way.Gets worse every year.:gag:

I miss the community too.Live in a flat here and never see my neighbours let alone a good chat.

I will be moving back in a year or so,if not sheffield then york or around the areas depending on jobs.:huh:

So all said i do love it down here,nothing better on a day off to go sit and watch the sea and listen to the tide wash in.

but it seems to go abroad is the best alternative.As nobody seems to look back.I do get dissapointed when i come back to visit at how much has changed.but my memories keep my roots in sheffield:love:

Cheers Mate

Andy

Hi Andy

Good to hear from you again, keep downloading my dance show on your Ipod, it will break the silence.

I remember Torquay with fond memories, the last time I was there was in 1973, and remember a park on the sea front which was on the left side of the sea front and it wound up and up with benches on the path, i remember it was quite steep.

Is that still there.

I also remember a roman type building on the sea edge which looked liked something out a Cleopatra film set.

We stayed on Morgan ave are you near there.

I often get an urge to move away from Sheffield not because i don,t like it here but to broaden or change a life style i have been acustomed to for 43 years.

I would like to hear from anyone who has done that and where and what they are doing now.

I am a family man so stories from single people who have moved to Ibiza for a better nightlife and more birds is,nt relevant in my case.

Have you moved abroad or stayed in this country, Is it the best thing you ever did or can,t wait to get back to Sheffield.

All your stories would be welcome wether they are horror stories or pure bliss and any recomendations would also be adeared to.

I moved from Sheffield many years ago. Had no choice as I was kid at the time. We moved to Sussex. Didn't like it one bit. Missed the open down to earth friendliness of Yorkshire people more than anything. I've travelled a bit in the world since then and happy where I am now but still love to go back to visit Sheffield and the rest of Yorkshire.

Hi Paul and thanks for your reply..I must admit the weather (and yes..the government) can be downsides to staying in this country, but I think I would get homesick for our beautiful coast and country if I went too far away (I'm seriously considering my next move in next few years, to the Outer Hebrides or at least somewhere in the Highlands/Islands). I also find the British seasons can be quite...erm...interesting..I'd be bored if the weather were too consistent!

When you come up to Lindisfarne this summer, you can book my taxi by all means (details can be found at http://www.bordercabs.com). Look forward to seeing you hopefully in the Summer (if we get one this year!!)

Fiona.

Born at Malin Bridge, grew up in Dykes Hall Road, matured at Wadsley, put out to grass in North Lincs. As I prepare for my bus pass in a fortnight, sometimes I miss Sheffield, but when I think about it, I suppose it is mainly the people (family and friends) that I miss. But Sheffield has a lot going for it; you have the amenities of a big city while being within easy reach of the Peak District etc. Housing is affordable, Sheffield folk are friendly, the shops are quite good (for example, Hillsborough isn't as bad as some forummers claim) and there are very good sports facilities. As and when I sell my Wadsley bungalow (it's on the market) I'll be a permanent Lincolnshire resident and will be happy here. And in the long run, if anything prevented me from returning to Sheffield, it would be the traffic.

You've had quite a few responses to your posting Paul, so I'm not sure mine will add any new insights. I grew up in Sheffield: Park, Stradbroke, then as a student moved around the city a bit. Moved to Canada in '69 because I'd graduated from Sheffield University and couldn't find a job in UK. Never intended to stay over here. Now, I can't see myself returning. I've had a very good career in Canada and recently retired from university teaching. Lived on the west coast of Canada (Vancouver), then the far east coast (Newfoundland), for the past 11 yrs on Prince Edward Island, Anne of Green Gables country. I love Canada. It's my home now. Do I miss Sheffield? Yes, but alas, the Sheffield I used to know is no longer there. I enjoy this Forum because it brings bk memories of the old days. I'll be visiting Sheffield later this year as I'm planning to start a writing project (better to call it that for now, as I'd rather not be presumptuous and call it a "book" at this early stage) based around my childhood. Cheers.

I was born in Meadowhead in 1929, left Meersbrook Bank School in 1943 and worked in the painting and Decorating business until I was called up for National Service. Tried to work at my old job but there was no work in winter so I re-enlisted and came out of the army in 1973. Settled in Wivenhoe,near Colchester for 14 years then built a boat and sailed down to Spain. Bought a flat in Benalmadena but sailed around the Med. in summer. Moved to the USA in 1994 Florida where I've been ever since. My wife and I bought an RV and traveled all over the east coast of USA and Canada, we met a Sheffield woman who was part owner of an R.V park in PEI. The bridge hadn't been built then but we knew it was well into planning stage but we went by ferry, it's a lovely island.

I can't say I've ever missed Sheffield, but I do miss Sheffielders, take it from a world traveller theres nowt wrong wi most Sheffielders. Some of the most gracious people I've met are the Chinese and the Omanis ( Oman) the worst were Saudis and Essex people.