Have you moved away from Sheffield?

Was born in Sheffield and left when i was 12. Now live in Canada and my family says its the best thing we could have done. Live in a city called Canbridge which 60 miles from Tornto and even closer to Hamilton. Anyone want to chat send me an email.

Oh by the way left Sheffield in 1965.

Bye

I once moved away from Sheffield and lived on the Isle of Man at a place called Castletown i was 11 at the time and i loved every minute living there. Sadly my parents had to move back to Sheffield :(

G'day !

I moved from Heeley, Sheffield to Queensland, Australia in 1981.

At the time I was 38 and was married with two sons aged 13 and 15 years. I, like you, didn't dislike my life over there, but I was feeling very restless. I figured if I pondered too long about making a move it would be too late and I didn't want to wind up regretting it for the rest of my life.

I must say, it was the best decision we ever made ! We all enjoy the lifestyle and I ventured down career roads I would never have thought possible when I lived in Sheffield. My sons have done well for themselves too.

Yes, there are things I miss, naturally. The social life of the pubs, decent fish and chips, Henderson's Relish and Thornton's Toffee.

But - there are so many wonderful things here to compensate for what I miss. We also have a good excuse to come back to Sheffield every now and again to visit family and get our fill of all the goodies we miss out on.

I wish you well !

Originally posted by Cycleracer

I often get an urge to move away from Sheffield not because i don,t like it here but to broaden or change a life style i have been acustomed to for 43 years.

I would like to hear from anyone who has done that and where and what they are doing now.

I am a family man so stories from single people who have moved to Ibiza for a better nightlife and more birds is,nt relevant in my case.

Have you moved abroad or stayed in this country, Is it the best thing you ever did or can,t wait to get back to Sheffield.

All your stories would be welcome wether they are horror stories or pure bliss and any recomendations would also be adeared to.

After 45 yrs born & bred in Sheffield I decided to do something really drastic, Moved to Chesterfield!

It's cheaper, easier to get round,not as hilly, near countryside, less stress, and life generally is easier here, And I can still go to Sheffield if I want, which I don't.

We moved to Scarborough in 2002 to retire, a small estate called Osgodby near Cayton Bay. It's the best move we ever made, the area is clean and easy access to town. We go back regularly to Sheffield to see kids, but when you have been away for a while you see things are getting very scruffy. Sheffield is unfortunatly on a downward spiral at the moment, great shame.

Lets hope things get better, we still have great fondness for the old place.

Yes i know Osgoodby, I went through it on my bike on training ride to scarbrough a couple of years ago, and its a nice place.

Yes you are right Sheffield is a dirty place and though the council do have ambitious plans to modernise the place theres very little improvement.

Housing estates are certainly getting worse and the market area, well its best keeping away from.

Thanks everyone for your views, there all very interesting and its nice to see folk have left and found a better life.

My problem is the thought of having to find a job if i move, the sale of my house would secure accomadation but i still have to live.

We'll see what happens.:thumbsup:

yes mate,I moved away from Sheffield in 1968.I joined the R.A.F.I have seen Wales,Scotland and various units up and down England.It was the best move of my life.I married in 1969,got a service provided house just after and was never without a house,or wages.I paid my income tax on my wages[a conception some folk find hard to believe!]I saw 2 tours in Germany which were pretty good despite some locals efforts to make them otherwise.We had three youngsters ,who were dragged around from location to location but it definiteley broadened their minds!No inner city cliques for them!I saw 9 months in the sunny Maldive Islands free of charge,although my son was born while I was away and that was a hell of a drag.My apologies to all fervent Sheffielites,but I for one couldn't wait to get away and when I did it was magic.

After years of following my husband round Europe and Great Britain,we finally settled just outside Nottingham but old habits die hard and it's difficult to stop the soles of the feet itching.

I left Sheffield a few years back. I've been around the UK (Manchester, London and Woking). I now live in the USA. I started out in LA and now live just north of San Diego.

I'll be back in Sheff during the summer (fingers crossed) with my American wife. She's never been out of the US before (except for Canada), so I'm looking forward to treating her to the delights of Castleton, Matlock Bath, Bakewell and so on.

I've not been home for a while, so it'll be interesting to see what's changed. I'm also looking forward to translating the Sheff accent for my wife..although, she's picked a bit of it up and can happily converse with my parents (just needs a bit of help understanding now and again). :)

Originally posted by Cycleracer

I often get an urge to move away from Sheffield not because i don,t like it here but to broaden or change a life style i have been acustomed to for 43 years.

I would like to hear from anyone who has done that and where and what they are doing now.

I am a family man so stories from single people who have moved to Ibiza for a better nightlife and more birds is,nt relevant in my case.

Have you moved abroad or stayed in this country, Is it the best thing you ever did or can,t wait to get back to Sheffield.

All your stories would be welcome wether they are horror stories or pure bliss and any recomendations would also be adeared to.

Hi Cycleracer,

I moved from sheffield in 1972 to the States, wasn`t my doing was only 13-14 at that time.

Dad found a better job, and with having 6 kids, a good paying job was what you needed.

We have stayed here, and although it is a nice country, Sheffield will always be in our hearts and we will never forget where we came from.

We never became citizens, for the fact of not wanting to turn our backs on our own country so there is pros and cons to everything.

Hi there ! I was born and bred in Sheffield. Forster Road, Heeley in 1939 to be exact. Lived their until mid 50's when we moved to Crookes where my mam and dad managed a chippie, Moved back to Annes Road (same yard as the deaf and dumb cobbler) round about 1959. I married a girl from the Park district (Aston Street) and we moved to Sharrow Street. Emigrated to Canada from there in 1967 with my wife and 4 children. Best move I ever made although I do miss the old country now and again. Four children are all doing well. One lives in Vancouver. B.C. Another in Georgia U.S.A. Another in London, Ontario and one in Windsor, Ontario, where I live. I recently retired from Ford of Canada and we're having a great time. I was back in 1989 for a month but not since then. My wife has been back numerous times but not so often since both sets of parents have passed away. This country has given us a good life but there are problems mostly with taxation and a corrupt Federal Liberal Government. In summation though I think that my family is better off here rather than there.