Have you moved away from Sheffield?

I left Sheffield in 1986 at the age of 18, and joined the RAF. Since moved all over Britain. Left the RAF in 1998, and now live in South Wales near Cardiff.

I loved Sheffield, and still visit my mother a few times a year, but I'm glad I have experienced other places and other people.

I've also got a decent job out of it, which I doubt I would have got in the Sheffield area in the late 80's.

Born and bred Sheffield. Left in 75 when I was 25, lived 8 years in Norfolk.At this stage tried to move back to the area but work dictated otherwise.

Moved to north of Scotland and been here ever since.

Do I miss Sheffield? Plenty.

Mostly miss the directness of the people and the places of my growing up.

Nostalgia can be a killer and it's easy to be nostalgic from a distance but as I head towards retirement I'd give my right arm to be back.

Born and bred Sheffield. Left in 75 when I was 25, lived 8 years in Norfolk.At this stage tried to move back to the area but work dictated otherwise.

Moved to north of Scotland and been here ever since.

Do I miss Sheffield? Plenty.

Mostly miss the directness of the people and the places of my growing up.

Nostalgia can be a killer and it's easy to be nostalgic from a distance but as I head towards retirement I'd give my right arm to be back.

Hiya Philip, spent 7 years near Elgin. Very nice place, don't like the English too much though!!

We moved to Denmark about 7 yrs ago. Have worked as a boatbuilder in the North of Zeeland, and am now working for the Danish Red Cross, which is the best job I have ever had.

We miss the social (pub) life in England, as it's non-existant here, and of course all the goodies that are made in Sheffield.

The worst part about being here is that as a fluent Danish speaker, I realise that when I (eventually) leave Denmark, there is only really a couple of places in the world that Danish is spoken, so all the time and effort spent learning a really difficult language is a little bit wasted.

Born and bred in Sheffield. Aged 18 I went to London to work in hotels. Had a blast. Bed and board provided with the job and spending money for my days off. It was a real adventure.

A year later I came back to Sheffield but 2 years later I moved to rural Hampshire with a b/f and lived there for a couple of years. Total contrast to the city, all dark and local :hihi: The village pub was called the Green Dragon and the landlord Mr Slaughter (I kid you not!) they never called me by my name they always referred to me as "Sheffield".

I realised where my heart is when I used to visit home. We always hit the outskirts of the city in the evening and the iridescent yellow glow of Sheffield from the motorway with the towers shadowed in the distance told me we were finally home. Sheffield was always referred to as home wherever I was.

I'm happy and settled here now, wouldn't swap it for anything. Its nice to go away though, it makes you appreciate what you never saw.

lol.. when I used to visit home when I lived in central London the biggest shock upon my return was how green everywhere was, with our little privit hedges round the gardens and verges. London is just concrete :)

My last name is Sheffield (Thomas Sheffield). My ancestors left Sheffield over 300 years ago and in the summer of 2005 I plan to visit Sheffield.

There was a family of Sheffields living on Parkside Rd, Hillsborough Mr/mrs Sheffield were local window cleaners who worked well into their 70s. They had a daughter called Sandra. This was between 1950 until the late 1980s

I often get an urge to move away from Sheffield not because i don,t like it here but to broaden or change a life style i have been acustomed to for 43 years.

I would like to hear from anyone who has done that and where and what they are doing now.

I am a family man so stories from single people who have moved to Ibiza for a better nightlife and more birds is,nt relevant in my case.

Have you moved abroad or stayed in this country, Is it the best thing you ever did or can,t wait to get back to Sheffield.

All your stories would be welcome wether they are horror stories or pure bliss and any recomendations would also be adeared to.

hiya i did live in sheffield for the 22 years i have been on the earth but coming up to a year ago me and myother half an the kids wanted to do something with our lifes we are still young and had the oppertunity to move to sourthern ireland due to my partners dad livin in ireland allready and havin his own buissness i wasnt that keen on movin away from all my family at the time but we really needed a clean break away from the same old thing in sheffield i was pregnant with our 3rd child so the strees of movin to another country took its toll as much as i was heart broken leavin my family i did it because they say you follow the one you love and now i am really glad iwe did make that move its a great place as sheffield is very busy and ya always rushin around here is so laid back i carnt explain what it is like you wud have to visit to know weather it for you or not i did come and visit sheffield in december and i couldnt wait to come back to ireland people are so rude but in ireland they are so freindly i dont think i wud ever move back to sheffield its a hole no disrespect to ya when i say that also its great for kids scholls are fab better than sheffield i wud say you will have to give it a try some day :thumbsup:

Where do you live in Southern Ireland.

I was in wicklow not to long ago, nice place great scenery especially in Avaco and glenalough.

Its an idylic place to be though I would not like to live there, I don't think, though maybe I could settle there.

You have made a good move there, nice in Wexford and Donigall to.

I moved from sheffield to Leicestershire in 2002, Ok, so its hardly Oz or Canada, but its still a different world, Its brilliant here, and as much as I loved Sheffield I`d never move back, life is easier here, even the damn kids are polite!

:) Hi Paul

I was born and bred in Sheffield, (Heeley). I then moved to Gleadless. I then met a lady and moved in with her, she lived at Doncaster, we were really happy there. We then moved to Wemouth in Dorset, where we were married. Dorset is a lovely place but one thing we did'nt think about was, it is a holiday resort, too expensive. We are now living back in Doncaster and really enjoying it.

Think twice Paul before moving from one place to another, the grasss is not always greener on the other side. :mad::):thumbsup:

moved to Canada in 65 and only made one visit back to the U.K i almost came back to Sheffield but the driving scared living hell out of me(every one drives on the wrong side)&those roundabouts i'm still sweating.ah well i've still got the forum.