Have you moved away from Sheffield?

Hi moved to Ontario Canada in 1974 with a wife and 4 boys did ok i had atrade i was a Millwright retired in 2003 from a power station were i worked at my boys did ok as well they joined the Navy and have done very well they have sailed all over the world I went back to sheffield last year and I did not recognize the city at all I know now I made the right move anyway I used to live in Tinsley on Ferrars drive iff anybody knows me gie me a message

Left Sheffield in 1995 for Marbella Spain. Visited Sheffield last year for the first time since I left. Hardly recognised it, city centre seemed disjointed. Now living in Hampshire. Have some happy memories of Sheffield but wouldn't want to return.

Left Sheffield in 1995 for Marbella Spain. Visited Sheffield last year for the first time since I left. Hardly recognised it, city centre seemed disjointed. Now living in Hampshire. Have some happy memories of Sheffield but wouldn't want to return.

Hi katerina yes I did not recognise the city at all I know I made the right move when I came to Canada it is not the same I Lived in Tinsley that as not changed mutch a lot of Packstans live there now anyway nice talking to you

Well, it's been about 20 years since I left Sheffield but get back every 1 - 2 years. The last couple of times it was in the dead of winter because of family commitments. I know this might sound "Nesh" but I have become a fair weather Sheffielder, it is wonderful place to visit in the summer, long days and beer gardens but I am always a little depressed visiting in the winter.

i moved away from sheffield in 1992, to move to Germany, met my american army husband in 1993, in Germany, we married in sheffield. had a boy in 1994 and moved back to sheffield for awhile in 1995, then moved to america in june 1995, traveled all over the USA, being how i was an army wife, even went to Hawaii for 3yrs, then back to Germany, then we moved to Texas in 2003, and we've been here ever since, my husband retired from the army in May 2010, and we have 2 boys, 15 and 16. i would love to go home sometime, as i do miss some things about sheffield

I was born n bred in Sheffield, but moved from Sheffield in 1979/80, I went down south about 30 miles south of London to a place called Woking in Surrey, I was discaling the sewers, while I was there I went to a Christmas party there I met Eileen it was 14th Dec 1979, Just after the new year I moved in with Eileen & Michael her 10 year old son, I Proposed to her, We got engaged on the 29th of Feb and on 14th June 1980 we got married ( 6 months to the day of meeting) We've been married nearly 31 years, We moved away from Surrey 6 years ago and we moved up to Scotland (Aberdeenshire) to be near Mike & his wife and now 4 children, You can take the person out of Sheffield, But you can't take Sheffield out of me. I still think of Sheffield as HOME, and yes I still miss it. JP

PS born on the Manor, lived in Manor Park then lived in Woodhouse. JP

i've lived in Woking, Surrey, early 80's i think it was

hi i moved away from sheffield not fat just down the road to chesterfield

but my 2 step sons both moved awy one to scotland who as started his own internet business and doing godd the eldest moved to New Zealand about 6 yrs ago along with ouw 2 grand children they have got a fabulous live near christ church dispite the earth quake and after shocks the kids love it being 12 and 7 the schools are brilliant spend lots of time doing sports they have 2 swimming sessions a day in the school pool everything is sport orintated,

the cost of living is not as good as ours and wages tend to be less but they dont spend hours in front of tv they are out doing stuff. if i was twenty or 0 yrs youger i would nt hesitate to follow them but at nearly 60 and diadled and need lots of hospital care so impossible. because of my illness i cant fly but my wife as been a couple of times and loves it. if anyone was thinking about leaving this God forsaken country my advice is to get out. britain is dead and gone nothing worth fighting for any more stop imigration and get out of europe

I moved away in 1981 to be with my husband who was in the Army. I cant see me ever living there again, but I enjoy visiting.

Yes, born near to Sheffield, Swallownest in 1940.

Moved to Driffield near Bridlington in Nov 1967 and started my business there

Nov 2006 moved the business and manufacturing to Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur area.

Hot and sunny every day 365 per year - no seasons, low prices (petrol is always UK Pounds 1-50 gallon) eat out most meals, starting with breakfast - cheaper than cooking at around 50 ul pence for a big breakfast and a large fresh fruit juice.

Easy access for weekends in Thailand, Bali, Brunei, Sarawak, Sabah, most of China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, Vietnam etc., average flight cost about UK Pounds 25-00 return. Can drive to Thailand in 6 hours and to Singapore in 4.1/2 hours.

Fantastic beaches, worlds finest scuba and snorkelling.

Can get all foods you have in UK at Carrefour, Tesco, Giant, Cold Store etc..

Every type of restaurant on every street.

Even the poorest of familes eat out at least twice a day due to low costs

For me and my wife to go out with 2 friends to a good restaurant and have top notch food, drinks and wine, the cost is usually around UK Pounds 4 to 7

My wife visits her sister in Hull every year, but I never go to the UK - crap weather, rip off prices, and the results of a Labour Fiasco.

A UK state pension is enough here for a good life if that is a persons only income.

Excellent health service, usually same day service for tests and next day for operations - no waiting lists - just get it done fast

Can thoroughly recommend the life here, and from a business point of view, my manufacturing costs are about 20% of the UK costs and quality is excellent from my Chinese workforce.

Hope this information is usefull to you - Regards - Grey Eminence - State of Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia

Hi Pat, Just read this post, you must be due in Sheffield soon, must arrange a meet as I am working not too far away on a new power station near Retford each Monday to Friday then home to London at weekends.

I was born in Darnall and moved to London in 79, lived there ever since,worked for the same company for 36 years now. I went to the Orient match last weekend, terrible performance.

Hi there, I was born in Handsworth 1947, now live in a village (Elkesley) near Retford and work in Retford although have to travel quite a bit in connection with my work. I am due to retire next year when I'll be 65 but enjoy my job so will work on for a bit.