Have you moved away from Sheffield?

I moved to a place called Leigh in Lancashire in 1999 to be with my girlfriend and also for IT work.

Moved to the outskirts of Manchester in 2000 and absolutely love it - great roads, fantastic clean and modern, yet also contempory city centre, (I would highly recommend visiting St. Annes Square in Manchester to listen to a guitarist busker called Nick Bold - he has a fantastic singing voice and regularly has 'audiences' of dozens all sat around drinking coffee and enjoying his concerts! )

...great sunday shopping, fantastic sports facillities, just on the doorstep of the Peak District (it does have a western boundary too!), much closer to the coast, and has the general atmosphere of a city pulling together and enjoying life.

I miss Sheffield a lot, which is why I spend my time on here, and do visit every few weekends but I don't think I'd come back. Sheffield is trying it's best, but so are many other cities in the UK and nothing makes Sheffield stand out to be the world class leader it once was, and that makes me very sad.

I moved away from Sheffield in 1991, straight after finishing school. Lived in Edinburgh for a year, the Birmingham area for a few years, then a couple of years in the Hampshire/Surrey area. I moved to Munich for work in 1999.

I still keep in touch with a couple of mates back in Sheffield. I don't get chance to go back very often, but with the magic of the internet and telephones that's not really a problem...

8) I moved away from Sheffield in 1989. I lived in Bermuda for 2 years and worked on cruise ships around the Caribbean for 3 years. Now I live in Guf Breeze, which is north west Florida. Sheffield is still home.

My husband and I are visiting my family in November for a 2 week holiday. He's American so I have to prepare him for a major culture shock. He enjoys a good cup of tea and actually loves beans on toast. I think he'll survive. However, he can't understand the fact that they serve warm beer! So please everyone in Sheffield, treat him gently and don't laugh at his accent.

I can't wait to see Sheffield again. It's been 3 years since I was there. I hope it hasn't changed too much.

CYA soon:) :wave:

get yerself down to Takapuna's on West Street, used to be Donna Hartley's Gym.. opposite Edwards.

Top night!

We moved to Calgary, Canada in 1979 and have been here ever since. Wouldn't move back but occasionally get nostalgic for what it used to be like when I was growing up in and around Ecclesfield. Been back a few times for a visit - everything changes!:)

Originally posted by Jules Student

I moved to London in 1989 and am on my way back soon to study at the University - all I can say is 'it's grim down south'. Travelling 2 1/2 hours every day just to get to and from work aint my idea of fun. And the people - they're all so miserable / unhelpful / down right rude. I can't wait to come back!

I also moved down South,first to Sidcup and now I live in Blackheath,southeast London.Unlike your self I have found most people to be just fine.I do hope you have a better time in the future.Good luck.

Guest HappyShopper

I lived in Birmingham for 3 years. Sound place and despite the popular misconception, everyone didn't talk funny. Although the accent does get very strong when you venture out into the Black Country (think of Lenny Henry saying the word "Dudley"!)

I've known a few people who have left Sheffield, but they have all come back. This speaks volumes for Sheffield. I'm not knocking Liverpool, but I have met many Scousers and they all seemed pretty eager to leave Liverpool, they always bang on about how great Liverpool is and yet they have no desire to return to Liverpool!

I left Sheffield a little over 20 years ago, when I was in my early twenties and rarely go back (I'm sorry to say). It's not that I don't want to, more lack of time. When I do, it is mostly to visit my mother who lives in Shiregreen.

I was born in Greenhill (Gervase Ave.), moved to Woodside/Pitsmoor at the age of 2 and finally lived in (Low) Wincobank before leaving Sheffield. I currently live in Edinburgh (and have done for most of the 20 odd years) with my wife (from Glasgow) and 2 kids. Edinburgh is, in some ways, similar to Sheffield and in others quite different. For starters, we also have 7 hills. The difference is that they are mostly not built on for various reasons (the cores of extinct volcanoes, for instance). Also, the quality of life (and the house prices!) is somewhat higher here.

Having said all that, I do have some fond memories of Sheffield and hope to share them as suitable discussion topics (and time) allow.

Originally posted by HappyShopper

I'm not knocking Liverpool, but I have met many Scousers and they all seemed pretty eager to leave Liverpool, they always bang on about how great Liverpool is and yet they have no desire to return to Liverpool!

Well funnily enough, I left Sheffield in 1995 (after 27 years living there) and moved to Liverpool. While there are many things I love about Sheffield - it is my home city after all - I have no desire to move back.

Liverpool is brilliant - architecturally stunning, culturally alive, exciting and invigorating. I'm proud to have 2 sons who have been born here, and the sight of the Pierhead gives me goose bumps. Sheffield is blessed with an amazing landscape - the hills lend it wonderful qualities, but I find that it feels like a large town rather than a city. This is what many find attractive, but it's not for me any more.

So, always a Sheffielder of course, but I've got to be honest. These days it's Liverpool I love most.

I moved from Sheffield in 1984 to London, still there and it's OK, but would love to move back some time.

Quality and pace of life is so much better than the smoke.

I was born in Sheffield, but my family moved to Canterbury in my early years......so that's why I don't no toooooo much about this town. hmmmmmmm.......

I lived in Sheffield from 1931 to 1950 when I emigrated to Canada.

Lived most of that time in Middlewood, attended Marlcliffe rd. elementary school and then High Storrs Grammer school 'til 1947 when I started an Engineering apprenticeship at Laycock Engineering in Millhouses, going to Night School 3 nights a week.

Fondly remember Saturday nights at either Nether Edge Hall or Brincliffe Oaks and the Tea dances at the City Hall and listening to records at Wilson Pecks on the pretext of deciding whether to buy or not.

Remember listening to Jimmy Edwards Variety Hour,Itma, and the Brass Band concerts midday on Saturdays on the radio.

Those were the good old days, long gone unfortunately.

John Hatch.