The Star Online - becoming proper gutter press?

Recently I have become increasingly suspicious of the stories reported by the Star website, the tone of the language used and also the decision as to whether to allow comments or not.

Seems to me Sheffield Star is fascinated by non-stories as long as the subject matter is Asian, Muslim, Foreign, Asylum, Immigration etc.

And in each of case they will open up the comments boards so the same pathetic cadre of individuals can leave the usual ill informed, hate filled, openly racist/Islamophobic comments.

In fact, precisely the same strategy as deployed by the Daily Mail Online for a number of years now.

Admittedly it works. People read, people get angry, people interact with the site through the message boards, and as a result the advertising value of the Star sites goes up.

I know I am not forced to read it and I do so less and less now, but as the only ‘official’ source of local news reporting, should the Star not be aiming for a higher standard of integrity & journalism rather than appealing to the lowest common denominator?

Or maybe it’s just me :-)

Recently I have become increasingly suspicious of the stories reported by the Star website, the tone of the language used and also the decision as to whether to allow comments or not.

Seems to me Sheffield Star is fascinated by non-stories as long as the subject matter is Asian, Muslim, Foreign, Asylum, Immigration etc.

And in each of case they will open up the comments boards so the same pathetic cadre of individuals can leave the usual ill informed, hate filled, openly racist/Islamophobic comments.

In fact, precisely the same strategy as deployed by the Daily Mail Online for a number of years now.

Admittedly it works. People read, people get angry, people interact with the site through the message boards, and as a result the advertising value of the Star sites goes up.

I know I am not forced to read it and I do so less and less now, but as the only ‘official’ source of local news reporting, should the Star not be aiming for a higher standard of integrity & journalism rather than appealing to the lowest common denominator?

Or maybe it’s just me :-)

I think it is just you I'm afraid.

The press operate freely in a society that values freedom of speech and provides a platform for expression.

Simply not liking the views expressed by readers or users(on the forums) doesn't mean it is wrong. Why don't you get involved and post your views on the Star forum?

post deleted

Edited by wmoham001

OP - funny you say that. I agree completely.

Have a look at the difference in reporting the SAME story.

1st the original story:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/campaigns/video-not-in-our-town-right-wing-group-south-yorkshire-casuals-march-following-alleged-rape-of-13-year-old-girl-1-7319671

Now today's update that i came across by chance:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/crime/girl-13-lied-over-alleged-rape-in-barnsley-underpass-1-7337867

Whats the problem. One is a report of the reaction of a bunch of racists to an alleged rape of a girl. The other is pointing out that the rape allegation was false.

I'm first to criticise the Star but they are reporting news. What is the issue I am confused?

The reason being is that it brings in viewers to their ads-laden website.

If people won't buy the physical papers they earn revenue this way.

post deleted

Edited by wmoham001
deleted post

I think it is just you I'm afraid.

The press operate freely in a society that values freedom of speech and provides a platform for expression.

Simply not liking the views expressed by readers or users(on the forums) doesn't mean it is wrong. Why don't you get involved and post your views on the Star forum?

Yes but my issue is with the standard of journalism in the Star.

Surely it should not be aiming for the lowly standards of Daily Mail online?

And i disagree with "not liking the views expressed by readers or users(on the forums) doesn't mean it is wrong".

I'm afraid the comments i have read which as i said have clearly been racist and/or islamophobic, are very wrong indeed.

Yes the mods delete them eventually but cant help but think the Star is almost encouraging these comments in the first place with the poor journalism.

Yes but my issue is with the standard of journalism in the Star.

Surely it should not be aiming for the lowly standards of Daily Mail online?

And i disagree with "not liking the views expressed by readers or users(on the forums) doesn't mean it is wrong".

I'm afraid the comments i have read which as i said have clearly been racist and/or islamophobic, are very wrong indeed.

Yes the mods delete them eventually but cant help but think the Star is almost encouraging these comments in the first place with the poor journalism.

If it's about the standard of journalism then there isn't a disagreement to be had as it's beyond doubt.

On your second point, I think the Star would claim that the view represented in their forums represent a section of their readership or society overall. Being Racist or Islamophobic isn't illegal (unless you sack someone, refuse to employ someone for their traits or bully, attack and harass etc) so I don't see what the problem is, why not join the forum and post your opposing view?

I did think the paper was run by spineless people when it covered the trouble at Page Hall between the Roma and the local people there. Everyone knows that Page Hall is a predominantly Asian area, they are the ones baring the brunt and are unhappy but yet the paper chose to find some white residents and feature them for the story, giving a false impression that its about white bigots again.