Swapping 18650's

Ive got a drill with a li-ion battery. I opened it up and saw they were 18650's

http://sinpool.en.alibaba.com/product/60183283444-801112281/SAMSUNG_18650_25A_13B_13BM_INR18650_13B_M_18650_1300mah_samsung_13BM.html

Question is can i swap over and put 5 higher capacity 18650s in?

Its charger is a Dewalat universal charger (DCB107)

Any advice appreciated :)

as long as the are the same physical size, and don't produce any more heat (as they will be packed tightly in) then it will be fine...

You could always drill a couple of holes in the plastic casing for a little more ventilation, though, but do you really want to do that? :)

Thanks and no i wont be drilling any holes in it. So the added capacity of the new cells ill be buying wont cause issues when charging or is that a kind of suck it and see situation?

Thanks and no i wont be drilling any holes in it. So the added capacity of the new cells ill be buying wont cause issues when charging or is that a kind of suck it and see situation?

They will take longer to charge, especially on a charger designed for lower powered batteries.

But they will charge fine, and work fine... (they will probably live longer too, as charging batteries slower, can help extend the life)

I've rebuilt laptop batteries in the past. Most of them use 18650's

You should be able to use higher mAh without any issues at all, and all should be rated at 3.7v.

My only other advice is if buying Ultrafire batteries, take their ratings with a pinch of salt. Whether I got some fakes ones, I can't say, but the 3600mAh ultrafires were slightly worse in terms of length of use, than the 2800mAh sony batteries they replaced.

Just as a little extra advice, make sure you handle the protection circuits carefully when detatching them and reattaching them. Some protection circuits are 'intelligent' too and won't allow higher capacities. They charge, but not to completion. Most drill packs don't go this far but just a warning for up-to-date laptop packs.

Just as a little extra advice, make sure you handle the protection circuits carefully when detatching them and reattaching them. Some protection circuits are 'intelligent' too and won't allow higher capacities. They charge, but not to completion. Most drill packs don't go this far but just a warning for up-to-date laptop packs.

Thanks for the heads up. Is it possible for a protection circuit to detect the mAh? I remember reading about it in the past, and someone explained it's not possible because a 2000 and a 3600 could appear identical when tested.

A lot of conflicting reports out there. Many 18650's have built in protection, at least the ones i used did. Certainly don't mix different ratings or brands, or ages of the same cells.

Thanks for the heads up. Is it possible for a protection circuit to detect the mAh? I remember reading about it in the past, and someone explained it's not possible because a 2000 and a 3600 could appear identical when tested.

They don't instantly detect the mAh because it's not possible as you say. Some do however effectively 'count' as they are being charged and seem to be pre-proogrammed with a limit up but I've only seen this on recent laptop packs.

I haven't dealt with any power tool packs new enough to possibly include this technology but at the rate battery technology is advancing it wouldn't surprise me. A few electronics engineers seem to be in agreement that some certain brands/models of mobile phone incorporate the technology to prevent cheap chinese pack replacements being used (sufficiently intelligent to brick the device)..... as though gluing the packs in and sealing the handset wasn't enough.

Buying decent 18650's can be a nightmare, loads of dodgy fakes coming out of China.

I've found a guy who runs this site:

http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/

He trades on eBay here http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/big_f_d_d/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

I've had some Senybor batteries off him and they were awesome, it looks like he's started producing his own stuff now.

They don't instantly detect the mAh because it's not possible as you say. Some do however effectively 'count' as they are being charged and seem to be pre-proogrammed with a limit up but I've only seen this on recent laptop packs.

I haven't dealt with any power tool packs new enough to possibly include this technology but at the rate battery technology is advancing it wouldn't surprise me. A few electronics engineers seem to be in agreement that some certain brands/models of mobile phone incorporate the technology to prevent cheap chinese pack replacements being used (sufficiently intelligent to brick the device)..... as though gluing the packs in and sealing the handset wasn't enough.

Thanks again, seems like a mine field... So in your opinion guess the only way for the OP to be 100% confident is to replace like for like. The exact brand and rating.

Buying decent 18650's can be a nightmare, loads of dodgy fakes coming out of China.

I've found a guy who runs this site:

http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/

He trades on eBay here http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/big_f_d_d/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

I've had some Senybor batteries off him and they were awesome, it looks like he's started producing his own stuff now.

bookmarked... thanks