Help -Wireless modems

Hi,

im after a bit of help really as im a little confused. I am wanting to run our internet in different rooms but without wires.

We have 2 laptops i would like linking to this (dont necessary have to be on at same time).

this is the dangerous small bit of knowledge. I have heard of routers, wireless modems etc. but not 100% sure what does what and what i would need for home use only.

done a search on the forum but still confused.

help

Linksys make great wireless ADSL modem routers. I have a WAG354G and am very pleased with it, so I'd lean towards recommending the same model.

Anyway have a shop around to see if you can get a good deal on that model and what the specification differences are between models. Most important thing is that the wireless supports WPA as WEP is easy to hack for those that are determined.

i have also heard linkseys are good, wireless seem to go wrong all the time, i think its one of the most popular issues on this forum in Tech. If you have two phone sockets id use that as wireless can tend to go a bit ape Sh*t at times.I would have to recomend belkin54g available most places but rather pricey. Up to you really, wireless can crash and overheat lots, but at the same time its just handy and a nice thing to have.

forgot to say we ahve broadband, nothing fancy just standard.

Are you on cable broadband or do you use a telephone line? It makes a differance to the kit you will need.

What is your current modem model?

we are on cable broadband via telewest

thanks for all info.

I'm on cable - what modem are using - my old 'Webstar' has just died and they've given me an equally cheap and nasty motorola sb5100 - I am using it cabled on both laptop and pc at the moment but am considering going wireless - I'm currently connected to someone's local wireless connection but sooner or later they'll realise and protect it. I also want to use my DS over it - so let us know how you get on.

We have a Linksys wireless router on Telewest - WRT54GS, £50 or so, loads of good features and a doddle to set up. Wireless is something that can be a bit daunting the first time you set it up, but for most people it then works perfectly after that...

so does the router replace the telewest box - or do you plug the output from the box into the router? Did you need any other cables?

so does the router replace the telewest box - or do you plug the output from the box into the router? Did you need any other cables?

You run a network cable from the telewest modem into the wireless router, then that's it.

Ah Rich, but it's not. What if the modem has USB output? I think telewest supply a mixture of USB and Ethernet. Mine in Sheffield was ethernet, but a mate down south also on telewest had a USB modem. Thats why I asked which model they have.