Disgusted With PIP Decision

Following this thread with great interest.

We took my Stepdaughter for an appointment for PIP on Thursday. It was in Barnsley. To get into the building we had to walk up 3 flights of stairs, strangely enough to exit the building we had to walk down approx. 6 steps:loopy:. There was no mention of a lift but as I needed the toilet and I was not the person with the appointment I was sent back down the 3 flights of stairs so the lift was visible to me.

On arrival at the reception, we were greeted by an abrupt receptionist who told us that only the person with the appointment and her appointee would be allowed in the room. I was upset by this as my O/H is Stepdaughter's appointee. My Stepdaughter is a 36 year old woman who has had learning difficulties and cerebal palsy since birth so obviously it is me that does a lot of the caring.

The person we saw decided we could both go into the interview. She seemed really nice and as a nurse seemed to understand my Stepdaughters condition, but that doesn't really mean anything.

We await the decision with bated breath.

Edited by jane2008

I'm sure they just refuse the first application as a matter of course, it delays things, and they hope it will encourage some people to give up.

I'm so sorry you have to go through all this rigmarole, but it seems to be a common occurrance. Please don't give up. Be determined and see it through. You'll get there in the end.

Good Luck.

Thats another classic appointment, flights of stairs means they are able to walk/climb stairs and there fore often get rejected

I've got my tribunal date through for the 13th of November, the DWP did all they could to get my case thrown out but they have accepted it. I'm taking this as good news

Reading through these stories i am disgusted by the way people are treated and i think one answer would be that people accompanying anyone attending appointments ought to leave them on the ground floor and go up and request that doctors assessing them go downstairs to assess them or otherwise they will have to go home without being assessed, take photographic evidence and produce this at the subsequent appeal

Received my decision letter today. Don't qualify. Only 5 points. In tears. I know they count on people to give up but I seriously wonder if the fight will be worth the effort and heartache.

Received my decision letter today. Don't qualify. Only 5 points. In tears. I know they count on people to give up but I seriously wonder if the fight will be worth the effort and heartache.

You've got a month to do the "mandatory reconsideration " that is necessary before the appeal.

Yes, it could be worth the effort as many turned down first time, get the decision reversed either in the in-house "mandatory reconsideration", or, the actual appeal, which I believe takes place in a court.

Basically the DWP is a crooked system which illegally denies many claiments PIP because its assessors are either inept, or complicite.

If you've got evidence in the form of reports from doctors etc, and, it justifies the PIP criteria, then there's a very good chance the original decision will get reversed.

Good luck, I know it's gutting to get that letter, but it's not over till the final decision is made.