Give Sheffield Airport a chance.

I think there is a lot of confusion between Robin Hood Airport (which is in Donny and nearly 20 miles away from Sheffied) and Sheffield Airport which has been closed for years. I agree though that Sheffield should have an airport and I think the catchment area justifies it.

Does not work that way.

If you are a small isolated island with little population you will have an airport.

If you are like Sheffield, a smallish city that is called a town by many with 3 hotspot airports nearby you will not get another airport within that catchment area.

Hate to break it to some of you but the brand new development Factory 2050 by the AMRC has been built on the runway of the now disused airport so there will never be any planes landing there again.

Does not work that way.

If you are a small isolated island with little population you will have an airport.

If you are like Sheffield, a smallish city that is called a town by many with 3 hotspot airports nearby you will not get another airport within that catchment area.

Sheffield is the biggest city in the UK to not have an airport so there's a reasonable argument for it, however the major issue being geography, the city is made up of 7 hills there's not enough flat space for a runway so we have an airport in the next town over.

Sheffield is the biggest city in the UK to not have an airport so there's a reasonable argument for it, however the major issue being geography, the city is made up of 7 hills there's not enough flat space for a runway so we have an airport in the next town over.

Don't start that argument again -there are a lot of hills - just not 7!

There has been no bus service between East Midlands Parkway and East Midlands Airport for years.

Change at Derby.

Not as of March this year. East Mids trains have a railink mini bus from EMP to EMA. That runs at the same time to coincide with train arrivals and departures.

You can also get a taxi, which would be cheaper for more than 1 traveller, but you should book a taxi to be sure.

Does not work that way.

You're trolling is far too obvious. Small, town, blah, blah.

Sheffield does need it's own airport and not the robin hood, we need one near the city like London as it's city airport, show should we have one with 2 runways long enough to take off and land 747s and the air bus. sheffields and chesterfield have plenty of land were an airport could be built, there is plenty of land were the old coalite site, going towards morrisons. there are thousands of acres there enough to build a long enough runway to land 747s, it's flat enough for a terminal building and control tower if the area wats business we need a fully operational airport for international flights if any councillors read these pages give sheffield, south yorks, north east Derbyshire what it needs bring south yorks to life x

Why would we need 747s and the Airbus, we didn't produce enough passengers to run small scheduled flights to Amsterdam, never mind enough for huge, long range planes.

Sheffield does need it's own airport and not the robin hood, we need one near the city like London as it's city airport, show should we have one with 2 runways long enough to take off and land 747s and the air bus. sheffields and chesterfield have plenty of land were an airport could be built, there is plenty of land were the old coalite site, going towards morrisons. there are thousands of acres there enough to build a long enough runway to land 747s, it's flat enough for a terminal building and control tower if the area wats business we need a fully operational airport for international flights if any councillors read these pages give sheffield, south yorks, north east Derbyshire what it needs bring south yorks to life x

Nice idea, but the only way that would work was if there was no competition from Manchester or East Midlands. The infrastructure and catchment is extremely well established.

You're trolling is far too obvious. Small, town, blah, blah.

Well it does not have an IKEA so it can't be that big.

There has been no bus service between East Midlands Parkway and East Midlands Airport for years.

Change at Derby.

In the early 80s, I used to regularly fly to and from the Middle East, via East Midlands and Schipol. I used to use the Coach (National Express now, I can't remember if it was called that at the time). I've used it since for holidays also. centre of Sheffield 9at least it was then, it might be Meadowhall now for all I know), direct to the airport.

---------- Post added 03-07-2015 at 15:29 ----------

Why would we need 747s and the Airbus, we didn't produce enough passengers to run small scheduled flights to Amsterdam, never mind enough for huge, long range planes.

IIRC, wasn't it that the slot into Amsterdam was given up by the KLM subsidiary that ran the service. Even though other companies were ready to run a service from Sheffield, there was no longer a slot available.

My abiding memories from the few times I flew from Sheffield:

A free bus turning up, on spec, to meet the flight and take us into Sheffield (a trial to see if it would be worth running a service - just a trial, so it was free). There was no advanced warning it would be there. We just saw it, asked the driver what it was all about. He explained, so we got on. saved us a taxi fare.

The other one was checking in (along with about half a dozen people), and being advised to "Go to Gate No 1" - which turned out to be the only gate, about 2 yards from the check-in desk.

---------- Post added 03-07-2015 at 15:33 ----------

as much as I liked Sheffield Airport, and used it for trips to Amsterdam as well as a package holiday to Jersey (it closed just as I was thinking about a trip to Irelaqnd), it has gone and can never return in its previous form. I don't see any point in trying to build another airport. We should look towards doncaster developing, along with the improving transport links from around South Yorkshire. That has much more potential than a dedicated "Sheffield" airport.

In the early 80s, I used to regularly fly to and from the Middle East, via East Midlands and Schipol. I used to use the Coach (National Express now, I can't remember if it was called that at the time). I've used it since for holidays also. centre of Sheffield 9at least it was then, it might be Meadowhall now for all I know), direct to the airport.

---------- Post added 03-07-2015 at 15:29 ----------

IIRC, wasn't it that the slot into Amsterdam was given up by the KLM subsidiary that ran the service. Even though other companies were ready to run a service from Sheffield, there was no longer a slot available.

My abiding memories from the few times I flew from Sheffield:

A free bus turning up, on spec, to meet the flight and take us into Sheffield (a trial to see if it would be worth running a service - just a trial, so it was free). There was no advanced warning it would be there. We just saw it, asked the driver what it was all about. He explained, so we got on. saved us a taxi fare.

The other one was checking in (along with about half a dozen people), and being advised to "Go to Gate No 1" - which turned out to be the only gate, about 2 yards from the check-in desk.

---------- Post added 03-07-2015 at 15:33 ----------

as much as I liked Sheffield Airport, and used it for trips to Amsterdam as well as a package holiday to Jersey (it closed just as I was thinking about a trip to Irelaqnd), it has gone and can never return in its previous form. I don't see any point in trying to build another airport. We should look towards doncaster developing, along with the improving transport links from around South Yorkshire. That has much more potential than a dedicated "Sheffield" airport.

There are flights from Sheffield-Doncaster Airport, 5days a week to Dublin. So you could finally take your holiday in Ireland

Edited by bazjea