Extreme weather thread - Summer 2015

I don't think it'll be as bad as the other day. But Metcheck are saying we could get one. Metoffice say nowt as usual.

Hi Tzijlstra

It wasn't - this came up from the South of France right over the Channel and then up through England. In the day I said the clouds appeared to indicate some instability and the conditions were there, it certainly didn't disappoint!

That means there were two huge thunder/lightning systems rolling around the same-ish part of Europe within days, pretty epic. The storm in the North of the Netherlands was described as the biggest to hit in decades, I reckon the same can be said for the one we had. Changing patterns huh!

Well, they weren't correct were they? Temperature is easy to forecast, they said 10-20% chance of rain and in the hours before it rained they changed that to no rain at all, and it rained so hard while I was playing football our pitch almost became unplayable because of standing water.

Heavy showers but no mention of the thunder and lightening? They got that wrong then. Cloudy for the rest of the day? There is barely a cloud in the sky from my window here looking South East!

They also never saw the snow on Boxing day coming, meaning the gritters were not out because the councils rely on their forecast, but I'd warned people about it on here days before!

The Met Office are very conservative and rarely like to stick their neck out, they frequently miss bad weather.

Met. Office do not make forecasts for a football pitch - they make an estimate.

Here in this part of Sheffield it did not rain enough to take the clothes off the line.

Misquoting the Met. Office does not help either- they said "cloudier" not cloudy which it was.

Regarding Boxing Day the Met. Office predicted that their would be rain, sleet or snow for the South Pennines and advised walkers (including me)accordingly. Reports at the time suggested that gritting was not as successful because of the time it fell and the lack of traffic.

Temperature in Sheffield is not easy to forecast. Altitude, aspect, slope, wind speed and direction, evaporation, humidity, topography and 'shadow' cause significant variation.

That is when local knowledge comes into its own. Using the data provided from their website (not from secondary sources like BBC, ITV or local media) and using your experience give the best forecast of how the predicted atmospheric conditions will affect a football pitch.

The forecast of a storm on Saturday morning peaking at 4am was spot on.

Looking on net weather live radar. Very heavy rain coming up for this evening. Some lightening possible as well.

Met. Office do not make forecasts for a football pitch - they make an estimate.

Here in this part of Sheffield it did not rain enough to take the clothes off the line.

To be honest I stopped reading when I read this bit, you said earlier in the thread you were in S10 and I was playing at Sheffield University.

I'm just going to agree to disagree because the point of the thread was to talk about the weather when it gets a bit lively and I feel like arguing with people on semantics ruins that, so let's both be right and leave it at that?

---------- Post added 05-07-2015 at 15:41 ----------

That means there were two huge thunder/lightning systems rolling around the same-ish part of Europe within days, pretty epic. The storm in the North of the Netherlands was described as the biggest to hit in decades, I reckon the same can be said for the one we had. Changing patterns huh!

Yeah, there has been some very tropical weather in historically untropical areas recently, the El Nino and La Nina phenomenons can have a funny effect on the worlds weather!

I'm hoping for warm but not destructive for July and August - I want to see England have as much chance as possible of winning the Ashes. Plus playing Football 3 times a week can be exhausting when it's TOO warm.

There we are, complaining about the weather again.. Us English eh :D:hihi:

---------- Post added 05-07-2015 at 15:42 ----------

Looking on net weather live radar. Very heavy rain coming up for this evening. Some lightening possible as well.

You're right, in the next hour or two we'll catch some heavy showers but the main bulk of it will pass North of us and the Lightning will be passing probably Barnsley/Wakefield area.

We might get some rumbles of thunder, though!

To be honest I stopped reading when I read this bit, you said earlier in the thread you were in S10 and I was playing at Sheffield University.

I'm just going to agree to disagree because the point of the thread was to talk about the weather when it gets a bit lively and I feel like arguing with people on semantics ruins that, so let's both be right and leave it at that?

---------- Post added 05-07-2015 at 15:41 ----------

Yeah, there has been some very tropical weather in historically untropical areas recently, the El Nino and La Nina phenomenons can have a funny effect on the worlds weather!

I'm hoping for warm but not destructive for July and August - I want to see England have as much chance as possible of winning the Ashes. Plus playing Football 3 times a week can be exhausting when it's TOO warm.

There we are, complaining about the weather again.. Us English eh :D:hihi:

---------- Post added 05-07-2015 at 15:42 ----------

You're right, in the next hour or two we'll catch some heavy showers but the main bulk of it will pass North of us and the Lightning will be passing probably Barnsley/Wakefield area.

Ive just had baked beans, it might be more than a rumble!

Looking rather ominous over town from what I can see. Wind is starting to get up again as well. Here we go again?

wind and rain in Bradway at the moment!

Looking rather ominous over town from what I can see. Wind is starting to get up again as well. Here we go again?

We're lucky to be right on the Southern Edge of the trough - we'll get enough to give the plants a good watering but we should be done within an hour, whereas W and N Yorkshire will probably get twice as much rain as us here.

I hope so, just heard Thunder. Can see the rain band heading this way too from town.

is this our monsoon season;)