Extreme weather thread - Summer 2015

Now that was a storm. Just glad it didn't fry the telephone line and my computers.

That is pretty impressive.

I unplugged my pc and stuff last night. But did the phone line when it started to made the old dial up noise.

How did you know it was making a noise, did you actually lift up the handset to check? Also, have you checked its not still doing it?

I do not believe lightening should cause that unless its actually damaged the filter.

Man that didn't just wake me up, it started off in my slumber so I was dreaming and the storm just hit, I actually felt cold and wet even though I was in bed! Then I realised it was actually doing this outside and I opened the curtain to see... massive.

@theTwirler was this the same system that created chaos in the North Netherlands the day before? Some very impressive footage of that available as well. Good we had it though, at least it was a bit cooler.

Many years back lightening hit our chimney and the sheer proximity to the phone line sent enough current through to wipe out the phone, answering machine, modem, the PC plugged into the modem (the IO chip on the motherboard was a charred mess) and blow the diodes on every network card on the LAN.

So yeah, it doesn't need to actually hit the phone line to do a LOT of damage. It even fried the neighbours Sky LNB which was nowhere near where it hit.

The funny thing is, the phone line itself wasn't damaged and I'm still using the same line today for the full speed fibre broadband can provide.

---

Holy crap, that historical lightening hits map is scary if you click 2-24 hours!!

So you think the lightning might have not actually hit the house. I rather that be the case!

Many years ago a video player was dead after a storm. Wonder if I'm a bit of a target now :(

Worth investing in an extension block with power surge protection built in. Find one that allows phone lines to be plugged into them too.

Mine came with lifetime £10K equipment protection guarantee. If anything fries, they payout but I'm not sure if you'll find anyone selling a lifetime guarantee anymore.

I had one of those connected at the time, but we never managed to find the documents to make a claim. :(

I think it didn't work because of the wonderful quality of the rewiring the council contractors made. They screwed into the earth sheathing so it wasn't making a proper contact. It was lucky I didn't get electrocuted.

How did you know it was making a noise, did you actually lift up the handset to check? Also, have you checked its not still doing it?

I do not believe lightening should cause that unless its actually damaged the filter.

You could hear the noise coming from the phone, without picking it up. The filter seems to be perfectly fine. Phone is working normally etc.

That's really odd. When our house was HIT with lightening year ago, all it did was ring the phones ... CONSTANTLY .... like a horror movie.

That's really odd. When our house was HIT with lightening year ago, all it did was ring the phones ... CONSTANTLY .... like a horror movie.

It was odd, and now you've freaked me out..darn it!!!

I think the lightening hit closeby. I saw a flash and heard an immediate crack of thunder that then shook the house.

The Met. Office forecast for Thursday day for my bit of S10 was a 10 degree drop in daytime temperature compared with Wednesday, and that a 10-20% chance of rain- spot on Met Office.

For today/tonight.

Dry until until 22.00 Friday

Then increasingly heavy showers then torrential rain from midnight until around 4.00 am Saturday

Quickly diminishing in intensity followed by lighter periods of rain until about 7.00am.

Dry but cloudier for the rest of Saturday day.

Well, they weren't correct were they? Temperature is easy to forecast, they said 10-20% chance of rain and in the hours before it rained they changed that to no rain at all, and it rained so hard while I was playing football our pitch almost became unplayable because of standing water.

Heavy showers but no mention of the thunder and lightening? They got that wrong then. Cloudy for the rest of the day? There is barely a cloud in the sky from my window here looking South East!

They also never saw the snow on Boxing day coming, meaning the gritters were not out because the councils rely on their forecast, but I'd warned people about it on here days before!

The Met Office are very conservative and rarely like to stick their neck out, they frequently miss bad weather.

---------- Post added 04-07-2015 at 17:47 ----------

@theTwirler was this the same system that created chaos in the North Netherlands the day before? Some very impressive footage of that available as well. Good we had it though, at least it was a bit cooler.

Hi Tzijlstra

It wasn't - this came up from the South of France right over the Channel and then up through England. In the day I said the clouds appeared to indicate some instability and the conditions were there, it certainly didn't disappoint!

---------- Post added 04-07-2015 at 20:19 ----------

Good call there TheTwirler, again! What a storm!!

Cheers!

The next few days will bit a little grey and slightly cooler, but fear not! By this time next week we should have had a good go at turning the thermostat up and it could be above average temps again, watch this space! :cool:

Well the phone is now kaput lol. Seems you were right. Going to get new stuff after work tomorrow. At least the net is still working!