Extreme weather thread - Summer 2015

I recorded some of it on my camera. Only saw the flashes though - that was as bright as I've ever seen lightning. Blinding! Some great noise too. Shame it's gone.

Now to hope I can get a bit of sleep. Not slept yet.

Sat up watching it, sadly didn't hear much thunder but the lightning was good. Now I can't get back to sleep.

Nearly time for the dawn chorus now.

A little bit of it, this footage doesn't do that storm justice!

I'll try and download mine. It's like yours but more bassy, though that could be youtube loss of sound.

Now this was a storm.

I think lightning struck a tree outside my house and maybe even my house itself. Phone is dead, router is dead and bits of tree everywhere.

So scary. I knew it was coming but why oh why didn't I unplug these things!

I think lightning struck a tree outside my house and maybe even my house itself. Phone is dead, router is dead and bits of tree everywhere.

So scary. I knew it was coming but why oh why didn't I unplug these things!

Many years back lightening hit our chimney and the sheer proximity to the phone line sent enough current through to wipe out the phone, answering machine, modem, the PC plugged into the modem (the IO chip on the motherboard was a charred mess) and blow the diodes on every network card on the LAN.

So yeah, it doesn't need to actually hit the phone line to do a LOT of damage. It even fried the neighbours Sky LNB which was nowhere near where it hit.

The funny thing is, the phone line itself wasn't damaged and I'm still using the same line today for the full speed fibre broadband can provide.

---

Holy crap, that historical lightening hits map is scary if you click 2-24 hours!!

Edited by AlexAtkin

Holy crap, that historical lightening hits map is scary if you click 2-24 hours!!

That is pretty impressive.

I unplugged my pc and stuff last night. But did the phone line when it started to made the old dial up noise.

I had a long day at work yesterday and so I managed to sleep all the way through it.I have just got to work and water has managed to find it's way into the building.Time to get the mop out.

Good call there TheTwirler, again! What a storm!!

I never heard a thing.Slept like a baby.