Extreme weather thread - Summer 2015

I've been watching it from S6, lots of flashes over Stocksbridge way, but no sound....:huh::huh:

It was so close, but so far. I didn't sleep well again. Needs to rain...cool it off

For anyone that missed the lightning, this is what was happening...

I saw a bit of heat lightning over South Anston yesterday afternoon. Got rained on on the M1 on the way home, but the rain never made it to Wadsley.

BBC Weather currently predicting hail in Sheffield on Sunday lunchtime. Seriously!

BBC Weather currently predicting hail in Sheffield on Sunday lunchtime. Seriously!

You could see some sooner than that as there are a few small cells over France at the moment and their path is due North, but it's hard to read how far North they will travel and whether they will merge in the process.

I'm not as au fait with the Summer weather as I am the winter stuff, the prevailing consensus is that it probably won't get to us but we could get some rain and thunder tonight.

Again, so many variables at play that far out it's probably best to look in about 4-6 hours time. I'll definitely get back to you before tea time to give an update on how it looks.

You could see some sooner than that as there are a few small cells over France at the moment and their path is due North, but it's hard to read how far North they will travel and whether they will merge in the process.

I'm not as au fait with the Summer weather as I am the winter stuff, the prevailing consensus is that it probably won't get to us but we could get some rain and thunder tonight.

Again, so many variables at play that far out it's probably best to look in about 4-6 hours time. I'll definitely get back to you before tea time to give an update on how it looks.

Thank you twirler!

I was gutted I missed the lightening last night! My friend who is also in Chesterfield saw it. I was fast asleep :D

For anyone that missed the lightning, this is what was happening...

Thanks for this:)

yeah we saw that last night from our house at Chapeltown, it was directly north of us

watched it for maybe 10 minutes, never seen anything like it before

quite spectacular

Well there's a big band of weather about to move over Sheffield, it's slow moving and it has some rain with it, but no thunder or lightning with it.

It's not really torrential rain, the odd short spell of heavy rain but nothing that is going to worry the drains I don't think.

The stuff from France is just hitting the South Coast, it is so slow moving I can't see it getting here. At least the rain might move a bit of the mugginess that is still lingering in the air!

---------- Post added 02-07-2015 at 16:49 ----------

P.S. Met Office predicts 10-20% chance of rain for us tonight at best, so looks like I'm directly opposite them once again :)

Edited by TheTwirler
typo

My friend has been camping for the last week.

Must have been unbearable in the tent at night.

Hope she slept with her flaps open.

When is it gonna rain?

Im stickier than Sticky the Stick Insect stuck on a sticky bun.

Just started spotting with rain in Birdwell now............