Calling all Ludlam's, and possibly history Buffs,

Just wondering some Nice folks could fill int gaps :loopy: for me,

I'm about to do a bit of research on my family tree, and try and fill in just where i used to visit my dads aunt and uncle , as what could have been a for years old, at 18 i attended some kind of Do , for Little Mesters :help:, and Apparently they have something to do with my history ,

my Great Aunt and uncle were Lillian (Lil) and Clarence

i remember row upon row for red brick terrace housing, and a working man club with a "if my memory serves me right" a crown bowling green at the front,

so those are the gaps , my Grandma was called Margaret , rivlin ? valley was mentioned, thanks in advance , mta ive never lived in sheffy ,my mother has dementia now, its something we didnt talk much about , but id like to chat about memory lane, cheers

Edited by Jenny Ludlam

I'm about to do a bit of research on my family tree, and try and fill in just where i used to visit my dads aunt and uncle , as what could have been a for years old, at 18 i attended some kind of Do , for Little Mesters :help:, and Apparently they have something to do with my history ,

i remember row upon row for red brick terrace housing, and a working man club with a "if my memory serves me right" a crown bowling green at the front,

so those are the gaps , my Grandma was called Margaret , rivlin ? valley was mentioned, thanks in advance , mta ive never lived in sheffy ,my mother has dementia now, its something we didnt talk much about , but id like to chat about memory lane, cheers

A timeline would be handy.

The only cutlery firm I can remember is Cooper Ludlum, it wouldn't take much to research this firm. Sheffy? What's that supposed to mean the names SHEFFIELD.

The Crookes Working Mens Club on Mule House Rd, has a bowling green at the front,and red brick terraced housing nearby.

Your reference to Little Mesters, and Rivelin valley could possibly play a part of your family history. As several small works existed in Rivelin valley making use of the river to drive water wheels to drive hammers,and grind stones.

Edited by bazjea

I went to school with an Arthur Ludlam. I think his parents had the Olive Grove pub.

I had an honorary aunt and uncle, as a tot, who were ludlams. They lived on Gleadless valley. I can't remember the wife's first namev(lily?) but the husband was Douggie.

Eric Ludlam was a noted boxer, would be about 80 now I think.

I knew Dave Ludlam years ago. If memory serves me well, his father was the Ludlam in Cooper and Ludlam. I think his Mums name was Vida(?)

Lived across from the Ludlams on Steel Bank, (Close to the Bole Hills) in the 50's. I remember they had a Chow Chow which used to take Mrs Ludlam for a walk each day :)

Eric Ludlam was a noted boxer, would be about 80 now I think.

eric was married to my nan I think it was him or his brother her name was joan lived on arbourthorne :confused:

it was eric he married my nan joan he died unfortunately in the 80's towards the end of his life he was wheelchair bound :(

On 01/07/2015 at 21:51, USUK said:

Lived across from the Ludlams on Steel Bank, (Close to the Bole Hills) in the 50's. I remember they had a Chow Chow which used to take Mrs Ludlam for a walk each day :)

I’m Arthur ludlam’s grandson I used to go to moorside Avenue most sundays with my dad Ron ludlam I remember they said they used to keep chow dogs 

On 23/06/2021 at 09:06, John ludlam said:

I’m Arthur ludlam’s grandson I used to go to moorside Avenue most sundays with my dad Ron ludlam I remember they said they used to keep chow dogs 

I remember them well. I lived on Moorsyde Crescent almost directly opposite the Ludlams 🙂