Dog grooming today

Any one know anywhere/anyone that I could get my Bichon Frisse groomed today ? Thanks

Are you serious :o Do it yourself :rant: You wanted the dog then look after it :loopy: There is so much bonding to be made grooming your 'supposedly' loved dog :roll:

Wow, that is possibly the most ridiculous comment I have ever read . Congratulations to you !! Now, get lost and get a life !!

I don't think that is really in order Bodie. Most people who have breeds that need to be trimmed pay a groomer to do it so that their dog doesn't look like we looked as kids when mum did our fringe.

Rebecca- I'm sorry to say that most groomers work 4 weeks or more in advance, so if there's someone who is available immediately then unless it's a cancellation, that would set alarm bells up in my mind. Most people who have breeds that need clipping book in for their next appointment in 6-8 weeks' time as they leave from their current appointment, which results in a system which includes lots of forward planning.

There's no real way around that and I'd advise booking an appointment to get yourself into the system in 4/6/8 weeks and get between now and then with a little trim around his/her face.

Thank you Medusa, I have recently acquired my dog from a bereaved family member. Never having had a dog that needs much grooming before I didn't realise that you had to book in advance . I have booked into Pets at Home now for 2 weeks time . Thank you for the heads up though, much appreciated .

Are you serious :o Do it yourself :rant: You wanted the dog then look after it :loopy: There is so much bonding to be made grooming your 'supposedly' loved dog :roll:

Bichons are one of the most technical and difficult (in terms of skill) breeds to groom. We should be congratulating the new owner for seeking a professional groomer on recommendations rather than letting it become matted and ignoring its grooming needs.this breed will still require regular brushing at home even if it is professionally groomed every 6 weeks.

Thank you H_Hounds.. I have been brushing him twice daily, but unfortunately he has been given to me a little matted which is why I asked for a reputable groomer. I am fast realising how difficult his coat is to maintain :-)

The hardest coat type for an owner to maintain so don't feel embarrassed. Pets at home will probably want to clip the coat short to get rid of the mats and start again, which is what I would do. Ask them to show you how to brush the dog at home and if you have a bath every four weeks they can remove knots for you before it gets matted if you have been brushing at home. You will want a slicker brush for definite and preferably a decent comb to comb afterwards. The greyhound combs are great.

If the dog is matted now, don't brush it until it has been clipped off as you will just pull at the mats and the dog will start to dislike brushing. Even when the coat is short, brush it to start a good routine with your dog :)

Edited by H_Hounds