SYPTE consultation on bus route changes

for one thing much of the world has time-based tickets so changing buses doesn't cost you extra!

I also think that while one can't expect direct links to everywhere one may want to go, if one has a direct link now one has a legitimate complaint when it's taken away

Edited by SteelCityAle

for one thing much of the world has time-based tickets so changing buses doesn't cost you extra!

I also think that while one can't expect direct links to everywhere one may want to go, if one has a direct link now one has a legitimate complaint when it's taken away

I think having a direct bus to town is reasonable.

SYPTE were describing their new regime as "Better Buses". Now they should be honest and admit that services are deteriorating under their watch.

SYPTE were describing their new regime as "Better Buses". Now they should be honest and admit that services are deteriorating under their watch.

On the other hand is it right to fill the roads into town up with convoys of half empty buses when a more efficient, faster and more reliable journey can be offered by a local bus feeding into trams or suburban train services as is the way in some big European cities?

Not that the Sheffield proposal actually appears to achieve that very well...

On the other hand is it right to fill the roads into town up with convoys of half empty buses when a more efficient, faster and more reliable journey can be offered by a local bus feeding into trams or suburban train services as is the way in some big European cities?

Not that the Sheffield proposal actually appears to achieve that very well...

You are right about the Sheffield proposal.

Strange how things change.

For the past 10 years or so, SCC has been providing lanes for these convoys of half empty buses. I would have thought that bus occupancy rates were higher than either trains or cars locally, certainly outside of peak times.

Plus a few years ago, Stagecoach justified increasing the price of their bus/tram ticket by stating that electricity prices had risen, making a 10% premium over the bus only ticket.

The European cities tend to have guaranteed connections. Stagecoach do not. Always amusing to see the meerkat impressions on the approach to Middlewood.

Since they stopped the through buses from Stocksbridge, I have tended to use the car a lot more as I have just had enough hanging around at Middlewood.

SYPTE is probably the worst PTE in the country and the only one that don't issue timetables .

Aside from the fact many people's direct link to town is being removed or reduced, telling people their 20 minute direct journey is being replaced by two ten minute journeys punctuated by anything up to half an hour in town is a decline in service however you look at it - and you'll pay twice for the privilege. Also 'town' doesn't always mean the same thing, some buses go nowhere near bus station

As others have mentioned, there's no way there'll be guaranteed connections, so we can all look forward to arriving at the interchange as our 'connection' pulls away

Guest busdriver1
SYPTE is probably the worst PTE in the country and the only one that don't issue timetables .

But still charge the bus companies for producing them.

It's interesting to note that a thread about a few threatened trees on Rustlings Road has received far more attention than this one, where the day to day travel of many citizens is going to be materially changed in only 2 months time.

A consultation was belatedly announced after a team of out of town consultants had spent months working on the network changes, revised after input from the major bus companies. Only after they'd finished were the bus using public allowed to air their views - surely backside foremost?

However, the people who seem to have made most protest are those who are relatively infrequent users. Possibly once a week shoppers and occasional hospital and doctors surgery visitors. Daily commuter numbers are dropping off as car users accept all the delays and costs of car operation The convenience makes up for it.

It will be very interesting to see what, if any, changes are made to the network as announced last month. Hopefully whatever changes are made won't upset those who have remained happy up to now.

Daily commuter numbers are dropping off as car users accept all the delays and costs of car operation The convenience makes up for it.

Really? Last thing I heard was that car traffic was dropping in Sheffield, and bus passengers were up? See the statistics at http://www.dft.gov.uk/traffic-counts/area.php?region=Yorkshire+and+The+Humber&la=Sheffield and http://www.sypte.co.uk/media.aspx?id=3998.

For me I work 4 days a week in the city center and the car stays in the drive all those days.

There is a bus every 10 mins (87) drops me 2 mins from where I work and back to the end of my road.

No worries about parking or negotiating traffic and with a monthly saver less than £10 a week.

Hate it on the odd occasion when I have to drive to work.

I've filled in the survey. My main bus route doesn't seem to be too affected other than a change of number. I'd like to see more direct routes. To get to meadowhall takes two buses and over an hour compared to 15 minutes in a car. Not easy with a pram.

Why call it a consultation when it's pretty much a done deal. This morning, the driver of the bus I was on was explaining the new route from the end of October to his colleague.