SYPTE consultation on bus route changes

The new number 3 goes Meadowhall-Firth Park-Northern General-Spital Hill-City-Nether Edge.

He will not have the connection with Tesco like the 75,76 used to from firth park rd near the old library. Tesco is not the only thing, now he will have to change bus for everything on burngreave rd. The 7/8 go straight over rock street.

He will not be the only one who will be greatly disadvantaged to be forced to unnecessarily change busses after few stops in his own side of town.

Why unnecessarily? Because the 76 will be renamed 20 and only difference will be that it then will go over hucklow and what now is the 47,48 will be numbered 7/8 and go over firthpark rd.

But the people on hucklow already have buses to burngreave, spital hill now so they are free now.

When they change it all passengers from firth park road going to burngreave or spital hill Tesco are forced to change with no option for alternative.

Now anyone wanting to go to rock st. or riverside pub from firth pk rd needs to change But who wants a rollercoster ride over that road anyway?

Edited by dutch

Anyway Dutch, glad to see you are engaging with the consultation and raising any issues with the proposals in your area.

I would encourage everyone to do so - look at the maps and service lists at http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/sbp then fill in the online survey.

Don't forget in some areas there are trains or trams as well as buses. Would you rather have a little local bus feeding in to rail services to town rather than sitting on the bus all the way to town? It may overall be quicker?

Thanks for all the information you have given Andy, much appreciated.

The problem with feeder buses is where the connection is unreliable. The TramLink to Stocksbridge is a good idea, but the trams seem to enjoy driving off when the bus approaches.

Before the changes, I could catch a bus to Hillsborough in half an hour; now it takes 40 minutes to Middlewood and then another 5 minutes on the tram. Biggest problem is when you are heading for a train as you have to give it about 20 minutes longer than when it was a direct bus.

Of course the experts withdrew the evening and Sunday through bus from Stocksbridge and told us to use the Tramlink just before the tram replacement works started.

So overall, I would recommend making a direct journey rather than having interchange anxiety when you need to change.

Thanks for all the information you have given Andy, much appreciated.

The problem with feeder buses is where the connection is unreliable. The TramLink to Stocksbridge is a good idea, but the trams seem to enjoy driving off when the bus approaches.

Before the changes, I could catch a bus to Hillsborough in half an hour; now it takes 40 minutes to Middlewood and then another 5 minutes on the tram. Biggest problem is when you are heading for a train as you have to give it about 20 minutes longer than when it was a direct bus.

Of course the experts withdrew the evening and Sunday through bus from Stocksbridge and told us to use the Tramlink just before the tram replacement works started.

So overall, I would recommend making a direct journey rather than having interchange anxiety when you need to change.

I would chuck another example at you, purely a theoretical one, but at my end of town.

The current 25/25A from Bradway to Sheffield Centre is scheduled to take 35 minutes off peak and up to 50 minutes in the morning peak.

Very close to Bradway is Dore & Totley railway station, where you can catch a train non-stop into Sheffield Centre that takes no more than 10 minutes. If only you could get a bus down to Dore station - the combined bus+train journey time would be much less than the "direct" bus into town!

And incidentally on the proposals under consultation the 25/25A becomes the 4A and gets diverted via the Lowedges estate instead of Greenhill Parkway, taking even longer!

I would chuck another example at you, purely a theoretical one, but at my end of town.

The current 25/25A from Bradway to Sheffield Centre is scheduled to take 35 minutes off peak and up to 50 minutes in the morning peak.

Very close to Bradway is Dore & Totley railway station, where you can catch a train non-stop into Sheffield Centre that takes no more than 10 minutes. If only you could get a bus down to Dore station - the combined bus+train journey time would be much less than the "direct" bus into town!

And incidentally on the proposals under consultation the 25/25A becomes the 4A and gets diverted via the Lowedges estate instead of Greenhill Parkway, taking even longer!

To be fair, the new 4A will only go half through Low Edges, running from Meadowhead to the Greenhill roundabout before diving down Gervase Road. On the return journey it won't have anywhere to pull in near there - and they only built a bus lay-by last year (after Amey re-laid Greenhill Parkway).

Maybe when there are more trains at Dore & Totley station it would justify a bus connection. Stagecoach tried running the 293 down Twentywell Lane from Dronfield a few years ago and it wasn't a success - and not easy to turn a full sized bus into or out of Twentywell at either end.

Neither the North or South maps appear to include any detail for the city centre. It looks like there should be a separate box, similar to what they have done for Killamarsh and Stocksbridge. Does anyone know if the map for the centre is available anywhere?

Neither the North or South maps appear to include any detail for the city centre. It looks like there should be a separate box, similar to what they have done for Killamarsh and Stocksbridge. Does anyone know if the map for the centre is available anywhere?

I've not seen any.

To be fair, the new 4A will only go half through Low Edges, running from Meadowhead to the Greenhill roundabout before diving down Gervase Road. On the return journey it won't have anywhere to pull in near there - and they only built a bus lay-by last year (after Amey re-laid Greenhill Parkway).

Maybe when there are more trains at Dore & Totley station it would justify a bus connection. Stagecoach tried running the 293 down Twentywell Lane from Dronfield a few years ago and it wasn't a success - and not easy to turn a full sized bus into or out of Twentywell at either end.

And denizens of Dore itself are also up in arms about losing their long-standing link to the University of Sheffield.

See my post 100. City centre map is not available. As far as I can make out routes through town are as near as possible to the existing routes. Very close attention to the maps should help to follow the routes to entry and exit points. I asked about routes 25/25A and 53 which become 4A and 4. The new routes follow the same routes through town as the ones they replace.

However, major road works will be taking place in the centre over the next 2 years, so it's likely we'll be seeing temporary and permanent changes to reduce traffic in the central zone. We'll need to keep our eyes open for those.

If you have any concerns make sure you complete a questionnaire from the links provided. If we don't ask or comment directly we may miss the opportunity to influence the changes.

The problem with the whole process is the staff have little knowledge of proposed running times time from a2b . Just a map with sections missing I don't know who made the route proposals but they seem to lack any real knowledge of people's needs . As for reducing bus numbers with ever increasing passenger number with wheelchairs and prams will there be buses with increased capacity for such passengers?

Dore residents are putting faith in a petition to save the 70. See; https://www.change.org/p/save-the-70-retain-the-70-bus-route-from-dore-to-sheffield-city-centre

There are about 13 weeks from the end of the consultation until implementation at the end of October, if all goes to schedule. In truth there are only 7 weeks to make any changes as 6 weeks notice then has to be given before they take effect. Sounds a tight timetable, and highlights the need to get comments in early.

Dore residents are putting faith in a petition to save the 70. See; https://www.change.org/p/save-the-70-retain-the-70-bus-route-from-dore-to-sheffield-city-centre

There are about 13 weeks from the end of the consultation until implementation at the end of October, if all goes to schedule. In truth there are only 7 weeks to make any changes as 6 weeks notice then has to be given before they take effect. Sounds a tight timetable, and highlights the need to get comments in early.

Yes the Dore Village Society have mounted a campaign, there are posters on every bus stop from Dore to Ecclesall and in the Devonshire Arms pub. The alternative bus being offered, the 81, doesn't serve Hallamshire Hospital, University of Sheffield or the independent schools near the Botanical Gardens, nor does it go near the nightlife of West Street/Devonshire Quarter. It will instead go direct down Ecclesall Road to Moorfoot, bypassing where the majority of the Dore passengers want to be!

The only positive thing they can say about the 81 is it will be slightly more frequent - every 20 minutes instead of every 30 minutes.

Edited by Andy C