SYPTE consultation on bus route changes

It seems SYPTE are about to launch a consultation on bus routes for the Sheffield Bus Partnership.

I've been tipped off regarding one or two proposed changes in the south of the city and they won't make users happy where I live. The present service is not attractive to residents, and the changes proposed would force more to use cars.

Apparently the consultation is supposed to be completed in July. Just approaching the holiday season may not be the best time to get public engagement but I'm sure its only coincidence.

Keep eyes open for this. I don't know how detailed the proposals are to be, but believe it's a citywide exercise. Be ready to be consulted.

I've heard the Sheffield bus Partnership has, following 4 years of stable operation of the current network, been studying usage etc and had consultants conducting a network review with an announcement due soon to open consultation on their proposal which is likely to be implemented at the November timetable change.

Lets hope this means that there are fewer empty buses clogging up the roads.

Somehow I doubt it

SYPTE press release taken from the Public Transport Experience Blog (as I cannot find it online anywhere else!) complete with comments made on the blog http://publictransportexperience.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/it-exists-to-make-profit.html

DEVOLUTION DEAL DRIVES CITY BUS DEVELOPMENT

The Deal’s public transport commitments include delivering improvements to local bus services by developing an efficient, integrated bus network that meets the needs of a growing economy, and is financially sustainable for fare payers, the taxpayer and bus operators.

Plans for the city’s optimised bus network builds on the progress of the successful Sheffield Bus Partnership; a voluntary agreement between Sheffield City Council (SCC), South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive (SYPTE) and bus operators First South Yorkshire, Stagecoach in Sheffield and Sheffield Community Transport.

Developed by the Partnership, proposals include improved key routes into the city centre that aim to remove excess services to keep traffic flowing and aid faster bus journey times, minimising congestion and pollution. And the reinvestment of services to improve access to employment and training sites and other public transport modes.

Public consultation on the network will take place between Monday 29 June and Friday 31 July 2015 online at http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/sbp.

Don't bother to log on to the URL above : there is NOTHING about "The Deal" there! Well done PTE.

It is the phrase "remove excess services" which provokes another sobering thought.

Looking at the Sheffield City Region website one suspects funding has been diverted away from basic bus services to someone's pet projects....http://sheffieldcityregion.org.uk/2014/12/city-region-agrees-devolution-deal/

Edited by Andy C

Consultation was supposed to have started yesterday? Hmm. That's a good start.

Yes, still no sign of it on the Travel South Yorkshire website, 2 days late and counting!

Guest busdriver1

It was always stated that from time to time reviews would take place as peoples travel habits change.

Shock horror, they are carrying out a promise.

Now that IS NEWSWORTHY

An introduction to the Deal appeared on

"Monday, 29 June 2015, Sheffield

The Deal’s public transport commitments include delivering improvements to local bus services by developing an efficient, integrated bus network that meets the needs of a growing economy, and is financially sustainable for fare payers, the taxpayer and bus operators. ..

...proposals include improved key routes into the city centre that aim to remove excess services to keep traffic flowing and aid faster bus journey times, minimising congestion and pollution. And the reinvestment of services to improve access to employment and training sites and other public transport modes. "

It was always stated that from time to time reviews would take place as peoples travel habits change.

Yes, nobody could expect services to remain unchanged for ever and ever. Regular reviews are undoubtedly the right thing to do. And it's good that the public are being consulted (when the consultation eventually starts! and assuming that it is a genuine consultation and not just a box-ticking exercise)

If you look on their web site it tells you how to use a bus, how to put your hand out when a bus approaches and even how to press to bell.

And to think someone has been paid good money to come up with those words of wisdom

A section on 'how to queue at a bus stop' might be appreciated...

If you look on their web site it tells you how to use a bus, how to put your hand out when a bus approaches and even how to press to bell.

And to think someone has been paid good money to come up with those words of wisdom

Exactly, kidneystone - it certainly doesn't inspire you with any confidence in their abilities. personally, and I could be wrong, I think it was created as a 'jobs for the boys' facility. Clearly, those employed by the 'Sheffield Bus Partnership' cannot safely be allowed to run such an important organisation - and I am deadly serious when I say this.

I'm still waiting for the email to invite me to take part in the survey, which I was told I would receive after completing the last one for them.