Council roof mending scheme

This is going on up Stannington at the moment on well green road. People who have council owned homes are having a nice shiny new roof done for free, out of our pockets. Now, I'm all for this scheme, obviously it's dangerous to live under a decrepit roof and many if the tenants would never be able to afford to pay for it doing them selfs. A couple of questions regarding this

A) is it an 'opt out scheme'? And if so what criteria does the roof have to meet health and safety standards? The reason I ask this is because many of us private owners cannot afford to get our roof done but if they are still not within health and safety legislation surely the council owes it to home buyers to at least carry out a survey?

B) How much does each roof cost to repair? Are the council paying for all of it or is it a percentage based on earnings etc

C) why do so many of the residents having their rooves done feel it's their right to slag off the scaffolders for disrupting their gardens and patios - what do they expect? Magic fairies to fly up with the tiles??

D) is it just me who finds the whole thing a bit bizzare??? We are still waiting for oldfield road to have its craters filled in after many many years of complaints yet the council prioritises this over public highways?

---------- Post added 25-06-2015 at 12:05 ----------

http://m.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-home-roof-costs-of-67m-too-high-says-resident-1-6908722

Id assume that roofs and roads come from different budgets. The council is probably the best place to ask these questions. Give them a call and see what they say. If they dont tell you anything fill out a FOI request.

---------- Post added 25-06-2015 at 12:09 ----------

Just checked the link and Oh my word. I just love the faces being pulled in the pics. From confused to needing a dump in two easy photos :hihi:

Edited by Timeh

Mr Perks will also have to pay 10 per cent of the £2,438 cost of repairs to his block of flats, as he owns his property.

:hihi:

I'm guessing that he doesn't live on the top floor then... :D

well I assume theyre done by different contractors, kier for the roofs I assume and amey for the roads.

anyway wouldn't a private landlord renew the roof on his property if it needed doing, its only what the council is doing to their properties.

well I assume theyre done by different contractors, kier for the roofs I assume and amey for the roads.

anyway wouldn't a private landlord renew the roof on his property if it needed doing, its only what the council is doing to their properties.

from the report in the op's post

"A letter sent out to tenants said the preferred contractor was Burnley-based BAAS Construction, and that the total cost of the work would reach £67 million."

ok I stand corrected should have read the article before posting still, people wouldn't be moaning if a private landlord wanted to renew the roofs on a lot of his properties to protect his investment.

They've been doing them on my road. They are only replacing if they have asbestos. Which is why ours hasn't been done.

Yes if you rent a property, the landlord may (extremely doubtfully unless there was a major leak) offer to fund repairs. He would be bound to this lawfully. If you own your own home though the cost is down to yourself.? £67 million on roof repairs is a massive sum of money! And yet I've overheard a few conversations while I've been pinning out the washing , people saying how they 'opted out ' because they didn't want the disruption. My point is- instead of blowing 67 mill on doing all the roofs why didn't they just check which ones actually needed doing? If people can opt out- surely they must have been told their particular roof wasn't in dire need of it? I've even heard folk complaining about the scaffies being too loud and intruding on their homes ..... Duh, what do you expect!

---------- Post added 25-06-2015 at 12:53 ----------

Alisonmanic- thanks for the info. Surely as asbestos is classed as a carcinogen (class a) all homes in sheffield not just council should have the option to buy into this scheme? For example pay 70% of the cost or even 100% if they can afford it? Why does the council only look after people on benefits?? That's not what the purpose of the council is

This is going on up Stannington at the moment on well green road. People who have council owned homes are having a nice shiny new roof done for free, out of our pockets. Now, I'm all for this scheme, obviously it's dangerous to live under a decrepit roof and many if the tenants would never be able to afford to pay for it doing them selfs. A couple of questions regarding this

A) is it an 'opt out scheme'? And if so what criteria does the roof have to meet health and safety standards? The reason I ask this is because many of us private owners cannot afford to get our roof done but if they are still not within health and safety legislation surely the council owes it to home buyers to at least carry out a survey?

B) How much does each roof cost to repair? Are the council paying for all of it or is it a percentage based on earnings etc

C) why do so many of the residents having their rooves done feel it's their right to slag off the scaffolders for disrupting their gardens and patios - what do they expect? Magic fairies to fly up with the tiles??

D) is it just me who finds the whole thing a bit bizzare??? We are still waiting for oldfield road to have its craters filled in after many many years of complaints yet the council prioritises this over public highways?

---------- Post added 25-06-2015 at 12:05 ----------

http://m.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-home-roof-costs-of-67m-too-high-says-resident-1-6908722

it isnt paid by you its paid for out of the Housing Revenue account which is paid for by council rents.

why should the council pay for a private owbner to look after their own house this is something that you as a homeowner should budget for.

---------- Post added 25-06-2015 at 12:55 ----------

Yes if you rent a property, the landlord may (extremely doubtfully unless there was a major leak) offer to fund repairs. He would be bound to this lawfully. If you own your own home though the cost is down to yourself.? £67 million on roof repairs is a massive sum of money! And yet I've overheard a few conversations while I've been pinning out the washing , people saying how they 'opted out ' because they didn't want the disruption. My point is- instead of blowing 67 mill on doing all the roofs why didn't they just check which ones actually needed doing? If people can opt out- surely they must have been told their particular roof wasn't in dire need of it? I've even heard folk complaining about the scaffies being too loud and intruding on their homes ..... Duh, what do you expect!

---------- Post added 25-06-2015 at 12:53 ----------

Alisonmanic- thanks for the info. Surely as asbestos is classed as a carcinogen (class a) all homes in sheffield not just council should have the option to buy into this scheme? For example pay 70% of the cost or even 100% if they can afford it? Why does the council only look after people on benefits?? That's not what the purpose of the council is

:confused:not all tenants are on benefits

A landlord repairing his property and keeping it up to standard living standards what next? they'll be putting doors on the houses soon.:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

it isnt paid by you its paid for out of the Housing Revenue account which is paid for by council rents.

why should the council pay for a private owbner to look after their own house this is something that you as a homeowner should budget for.

---------- Post added 25-06-2015 at 12:55 ----------

:confused:not all tenants are on benefits

I think you will find the vast majority are , even if it's just tax credits!! Having a council house is a benefit in itself. I have nothing against benefits I've claimed myself in between jobs- my point is aimed at the council

I really can't see an issue here if it was a private landlord everyone would be applauding these actions. As for benefit claimants are people saying they should all live in sub standard accommodation?.