Anyone else fed up with Sheffield Star

I buy the Sheffield Star every day in the hope it will get better I find myself reading about Doncaster and Rotherham on a regular basis surely they have a local paper to call their own . Not to mention the wheelie bin and skip fires that happen every day I am sorry for moaning but I really used to enjoy the paper maybe its time to give it a miss :rant:

The fact is people get their news for free from the Internet these days.

This means fewer sales - what is it around 20,000 now? Which means less revenue and less advertising, all of which means less money to pay journalists to cover stories.

Local newspapers are in terminal decline and there isn't anything they can do to stop it.

A lot of the stuff i see on here winds up in the star anyway so why pay for second hand news? The Star used to be an institution. Now its barely fit for wrapping up your chips.

Wow... that goes back a bit.

Didn't they stop doing that because of something to do with the ink used not being of 'edible' standards?

I think I read that somewhere... :huh:

Wow... that goes back a bit.

Didn't they stop doing that because of something to do with the ink used not being of 'edible' standards?

I think I read that somewhere... :huh:

I did wonder why they taste different these days and i also wondered why my poo was less inky :hihi:

I used to buy it regularly, but stopped around 10 or 15 years ago, and haven't missed it.

The present business model looks to be in terminal decline. Less people buying it, so less money to spend on reporting local news, so wider afield stories shared across Sheffield, Doncaster, Barnsley etc which are of little interest to the other areas, so a less appealiong paper, so less sales, so of less interest to potential advertisers, so less income, so less money to spend on preparing interesting stories, so... etc, etc.

I would think its only hope would be as a "free" paper, like the Metro, with its income from local advertising. It would need to boost its readership by a lot, though, to make it worthwhile for the advertisers to foot all the bill.

I buy the Sheffield Star every day in the hope it will get better I find myself reading about Doncaster and Rotherham on a regular basis surely they have a local paper to call their own . Not to mention the wheelie bin and skip fires that happen every day I am sorry for moaning but I really used to enjoy the paper maybe its time to give it a miss :rant:

I'd save your money and just get your news here.