Digital bus information

i was waiting for the 98 or 96 bus at the Peace Gardens on Friday night.

I don't use the buses very often but there was a digital display there indicating when my bus was going to arrive. as i waited the bus was due in 10 mins then 9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 mins. Then the display for my bus dissapeared and no bus.

This went on for 1 hour and the next busses were similarly listed.

It turns out that this display only indicates the bus timetable and there was a bus timetable underneath the digital display in any case..

i assumed the digital display should contain upto the minute actual times of the bus and not the timetable. Surely if there is a problem with a particular bus route they could display it. As it is, the digital display doesn't seem to add any more information than the timetable and so is a bit useless.

They do normally show that but if it can't find the live bus information it will revert to the timetable. If it counts down in minutes, it should be using the live information. If it just shows the time, it is using the timetable rather than live data.

I don't use the buses very often but there was a digital display there indicating when my bus was going to arrive. as i waited the bus was due in 10 mins then 9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 mins. Then the display for my bus dissapeared and no bus.

It turns out that this display only indicates the bus timetable and there was a bus timetable underneath the digital display in any case..

i assumed the digital display should contain upto the minute actual times of the bus and not the timetable. Surely if there is a problem with a particular bus route they could display it. As it is, the digital display doesn't seem to add any more information than the timetable and so is a bit useless.

If I remember correctly, if the transponder is missing or not working the bus stop relays the bus timetable. So in the event of a missing bus, the system will assume that it's bus's transponder that is missing/broken, so the bus stop relays the timetable.

I contacted TSY about this a few months ago when I couldn't fathom out how buses that were 4-3-2-1 minute away suddenly disappeared and never turned up - and other apparent anomalies. I got a very long and informative response from a helpful chap there explaining how it should work

To inform you on how the system is supposed to work:

[snip]

Static data (timetables, fleet numbers, etc.) is used to create timetables (both printed and electronic) and is uploaded from central systems via local radio masts to the buses’ on-board computers and via mobile phone systems to the individual electronic signs at bus shelters.

Dynamic (i.e. real-time) data is created as the bus runs – by equipment located on the bus. The bus must have ‘registered’ with the system over the radio waves. Then, every 30 seconds, information is sent via radio to a local radio mast and thence to central systems, and consists of:

· The service the bus is running (e.g. 19)

· The service run in the form of the scheduled start time (e.g. 0705)

· How close to schedule the bus ‘thinks’ its running

· The geographical position of the bus (e.g. Latitude; longitude i.e. 53.38;-1.47)

Finally, as a bus leaves a stop, it sends a ‘clear-down’ code to any electronic sign at the stop so that the line of information relating to that service disappears

All this data (apart from the last type) is used by a central system to generate a prediction as to when the bus will arrive at the stops further down the route

This data is then sent to the electronic sign on the bus shelter and made available to your ‘app’ on you smart-phone or via web access on your PC/laptop.

BUT they know there are big problems with the system (as OP & most of us who use buses regularly are all too aware) - won't make this post into war & peace by copying some of them in here! They're apparently working on a new one - expected completion - "early to mid 2016"!!

There is some good information already posted here.

If there is a time shown in the 24 hour clock, the bus is probably not running and won't arrive.

The live feed time is shown in the format of a countdown followed by LF, e.g. "2 Mins LF" and it probably will arrive.

Bear in mind that one bus LF minute equates to about two minutes in the real world!

Also look out for the system crashing. The clock showing the current time can be correct but all of the other times might have been static for a while.

Look out for diversion notices too. Buses which are diverted still show on the screens. There's been a few times when I've had to tell a LOT of people at the bus stop that NO buses are calling at that stop, some of them who have been waiting 30+ minutes! There were diversions in place on Friday night around that area due to the rail replacement works.

Edited by molar

Either make sure they give 100% correct information or scrap them. Why should passengers have to tolerate this?

I waited for a bus Fri night. It was giving countdown info from 18 minutes....but never arrived. So I then couldn't trust any of the info about the next 3 buses. Result - flag down the next cab, which is what I could have done 20 mins earlier. Useless.

For many infrequent bus users it may put them off trying to go by bus ever again. Hardly what we want is it?

If there is a countdown displayed (live data) and this bus does not arrive and the next one also disappears always check if there is a problem or rerouting due to accident nearby.

Also you waited a whole hour, did these next buses on digital display you mention show up or did they disappear as well? After more then two I walk away from the stop and investigate with other bus drivers or call a cab.

Edited by dutch

This thread will soon be merged as this topic has already been done in detail.

LF means low floor.

Some buses do not have a working link to show where they are.

Some buses do not run.

If so the estimated time for that stop is shown based on the "paper" timetable.

So could be early, late or not run. This is the same as if you read the bus stop timetable.

If a countdown is shown then it will arrive ( unless stopped by operator early ).

A computer works out the speed and and distance of the bus and predicts its arrival time at your stop.

If the bus hits or leaves a busy section then the prediction time can change by a significant amount.

Its a prediction and at most times very useful.

The issue in this case was the stop was not in use due to bus diversions. There should have been a notice on the stop to that effect.

Always a good idea to check service updates before travel, if travelling with First then this is the link: http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/south_yorkshire/travel_news/service_updates/

It's still a new system in Sheffield so will have teething problems but has been in use at Rotherham fir sometime and is useful if they buses have the equipment to communication back

It may have been related to these tram replacement jobs and the buses were driving a diverted route. (speculating but a very likely possible explanation.)

It may have been related to these tram replacement jobs and the buses were driving a diverted route. (speculating but a very likely possible explanation.)

Church Street was closed Friday night.