Dog home boarding?

Looks like kennels might be the only option.

A kennels especially will not touch an in-season dog, it's pretty much rule number one.

Why don't you have her neutered?

A vet won't neuter a dog until it's right in the middle of it's 'off-season' patch.

There is much greater blood flow around that area when the dog is in season, is about to be in season, or has just been.

The greater blood flow means far greater risks in surgery - quite simply they will just turn you away if you attempt to ask so close to a season.

The Vet will only neuter so close to a season if it's an absolute emergency.

Edited by geared

Mid cycle is the ideal time to spey a bitch. However, it is not always possible and vets do spey outside of this window. In fact they sometimes have to, most notably when a pyometra develops. Bitches can come into season from once every five months to once every twelve months. It is therefore not always possible to know when a bitch was last in season and this is particularly the case with rescued animals. It's important to get them speyed so that they can safely go to their new home as quickly as possible. However, where the vet does not wish to operate due to doubt regarding timing, they may be able to offer an injection to defer the season.

We put our dog in a kennel last month while we went to Wales. We were only gone for 5 nights and when we picked her up she was in such a state. She must've pined dreadful for us and refused all food. She's a very slender dog anyway but when we collected her she looked half way to starvation.

It was really a trail run for next month when we go away for 11 nights. I believe now that if I put her in kennels for 11 nights and she reacts the same again, we may not have a pooch when we get home. I think she'd react much better to a home boarding/ home environment but I have no idea where to find such set ups.

I did see one advertised on fb that sounded fabulous. Very homely environment. However it went on to state that Un neutered dog's cannot be boarded if in season. Now I can't guarantee that. It has been about 4 and a half-5 months since her last season so she could well come into season whilst we're away.

I'm at a loss what is best to do??

Hi did you manage to get anything sorted?

You could try Bed & Biscuits - http://www.bed-and-biscuits.co.uk/index.html

or The Dog House - http://www.doghouse.net/

and see what they say?

Worth a try although you really have left it very short notice, these sort of places get booked up quite a way in advance. Worth a phonecall just in case though. They might have some advice about the whole 'being in season' issue - perhaps if she is used to being crated it wouldn't be too much of an issue??

My dog has stayed at The Dog House before and it was fine, I thought Judith was selling up this year sometime though