Crayfish?? Calder weir..

Was down at calver weir a Froggatt today with kids and saw what we think was a dead crayfish... It was in 2 halves side by side. Bit weird really how it was laid.. It was of a good size too. Maybe full length up to 20cm? Just wondered if anyone as seen any of these down there. Alive??

Spelling mistake in title sorry.. Calver weir it should read..

I read somewhere some years ago that there are crayfish in the Don these days, so it wouldn't surprise me!

I don't know definitively whether there are crayfish in the a Derwent but the American Red Signal Cayfish have spread like a plague through many of our rivers &stillwaters to the detriment of many other species of wildlife - I have caught large ones whilst fishing the River Rother at Beighton &seen Mink (another alien species) killing & eating them on a local pond.

My best guess would be that the dead crayfish was killed by either an angler an otter or a mink

Andy

American signal crayfish, plenty of them in the Derwent I am afraid. Have been seeing signs of otter(s) so may have been chewed and left by one.

Aren't the native crayfish an endangered species now, is it easy to tell the different types apart??

one is red and the other is not the red one is the alien species. they are not allowed to be caught without a licence and if fished out of the water must be destroyed and not put back into the water course

Ive seen one in the River Rother at Halfway, it was the Alien American one. :-(

Aren't the native crayfish an endangered species now, is it easy to tell the different types apart??

I almost went fishing for native crayfish five or six years ago when I was on holiday in the Yorkshire Dales, but never got round to it. Me and my brother used to fish them at a special spot as kids on summer holidays there and then cook them up.

There were still plenty there because there were still as many of their burrows in the muddy river bank, but I never got round to fishing them.

I'm glad I didn't! Shortly after I read in the news about a man who had caught some in the Lake District. They're endangered and protected and he was fined £4000 - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1265806/Environmentalist-fined-4-000-catching-wrong-kind-crayfish.html

He couldn't tell the two types apart.

please note that native crayfish are an endangered species and that fishing for them is illegal as is fishing for the non native all non native crayfish must be destroyed and not put back into the water

They are good eating if they live in a decent bit of water. Like mini lobster!

I'm glad I didn't! Shortly after I read in the news about a man who had caught some in the Lake District. They're endangered and protected and he was fined £4000 - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1265806/Environmentalist-fined-4-000-catching-wrong-kind-crayfish.html

He couldn't tell the two types apart.

What sort of moron describes themselves as an "Active Environmentalist"

but can't tell the two types of crayfish apart AND decides to go hunting crayfish in one of the last refuges of the native species???

:loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy:

20cm and cut into two halves? Sounds like the remains of somebody's lobster picnic to me.