Skyride Sheffield: 5 July

Excellent point native son :-)))

And Toby foster was taking part as well, nowt like a touch of celebrity to brighten it up!!!

Edited by samsparro
Remove emotions

I went across Eccy Rd, via Hunters Bar but couldn't get back, this resulted in more emissions from my vehicle as I went down numerous blind allies while cyclists had a free run of the city.

When are we having a cycle free day and closing the roads to those lot?

I went across Eccy Rd, via Hunters Bar but couldn't get back, this resulted in more emissions from my vehicle as I went down numerous blind allies while cyclists had a free run of the city.

It's 4 hours once a year get over it.

Guest sibon
It's 4 hours once a year get over it.

It was 10 hours of road closures.

ETA: To answer your previous question. Clumber Park. :)

Or Yellowstone.

Edited by sibon

Or Yellowstone.

Still worth it for the 5000 who had a great day out

Guest sibon
Still worth it for the 5000 who had a great day out

So it is OK to screw up several arterial routes so that 1% of the city can enjoy a day out?

You can ride your bikes on the roads anyway. I don't see the need for road closure.

Or Yellowstone.

A bit senseless driving 40 plus mile trip to cycle in climber park when I can get to miles of trans pennine trail from where I live.

Had to drive to the sky ride but that was for the chance to ride roads usually unsafe for children

Guest sibon
A bit senseless driving 40 plus mile trip to cycle in climber park when I can get to miles of trans pennine trail from where I live.

Had to drive to the sky ride but that was for the chance to ride roads usually unsafe for children

So, use the trans pennine trail. And leave the city's economy intact.

So, use the trans pennine trail. And leave the city's economy intact.

I do and miles of roads luckily away from the city centre.

But once a year it's fun especially for the kids to experience such an event.

You should try it

So hang on....motorways are closed to everyone not in cars (CHICKEN FEATHER LICENCE PAYERS) so that people in cars (NOT PAYERS OF A CHICKEN FEATHER LICENCE) can drive around. What part of this am I not getting?

same s##t, different post

:hihi: :hihi:

---------- Post added 06-07-2015 at 01:15 ----------

So the disruption to the city is really minimal, the shops are doing a roaring trade as 6000+ people all try and find somewhere to eat, and it encourages kids to exercise.

What's not to like???

Well cyclists obviously as apparently they are the spawn of the devil, Islamic State and red light jumpers all rolled into one set of lycra leggings.

---------- Post added 06-07-2015 at 01:18 ----------

Whats not to like is not that 'oh just Ecclesall rd is shut', but that due to this I sat in a queue of traffic from the ring road, all through Broomhill, onto Fulwood Road and by Rustlings Road right up to Nethergreen - Why they cant do events like this in parks is beyond me. Or Chatsworth or something? In the event of the half marathon or race for life, the roads are all back open by 11am ish, this was all day. Just a bunch of people with nothing better to do on a Sunday once again grinding the city to a halt.:rant: Oh but your 5 year olf=d got a lanyard whilst my 2 year old threw a massive tantrum in the car stuck in traffic - well thats ok then!
Never lived near or had to go past a football ground or similar then? There you have problems a heck of lot more often than once a year. Plus there's the violence some fans like to inflict on each other or the town they are visiting. Though thankfully that's a much rarer problem than it used to be.

All these type of events could take place around a track or in a field somewhere out of the way where they would be safer, cheaper and potentially cause less disruption, but for some reason they do not.

Organise an event involving mass movement of motor vehicles one random sunday. Give councillors and or local mps something they can self publicise about and provide plenty of over time for the SYP and you could be on a winner.

All these type of events could take place around a track or in a field somewhere out of the way where they would be safer, cheaper and potentially cause less disruption, but for some reason they do not.

Organise an event involving mass movement of motor vehicles one random sunday. Give councillors and or local mps something they can self publicise about and provide plenty of over time for the SYP and you could be on a winner.

How boring would that be though? You might as well use an exercise bike.