Skyride Sheffield: 5 July

Go on ill bite and I'm happily sat in a beer garden. What's is this "road fund licence" that you seem so worked up about. Just a mo. I'll get comfy and pick up my pop corn because I feel a 50 page thread coming on.

Why except for the bit in capitals?

For the fifty-billionth time and slowly for people who just can't get it to sink in

THERE....IS....NO....SUCH....THING....AS....THE....ROAD....FUND....LICENCE

Nor is the road closed to "taxpayers". The road is open to EVERYONE who wishes to use it on foot or by bicycle. All of whom pay taxes (even benefits are taxed) a proportion of which goes toward road building and maintenance.

It is not closed to YOU no matter what tooth-fairy-tax you imagine that you pay

You are of course free NOT to use the road by bicycle if you choose not to

Can someone kindly explain to me what exactly is the point of this event...

... other than to apparently wind up non-cycling motorists? :huh:

Can someone kindly explain to me what exactly is the point of this event...

... other than to apparently wind up non-cycling motorists? :huh:

That is Sheffield Council's raison d'être.

I don't mind my "rates", if any, being spent on this event, I just object to Murdoch's evil empire.

I don't mind my "rates", if any, being spent on this event, I just object to Murdoch's evil empire.

As much as Murdoch has been the ultimate Bond Villain, British cycling wouldn't be where it is today if it wasn't for Sky's sponsorship.

So hang on....roads are being closed in Sheffield to normal traffic (ROAD FUND LICENCE PAYERS) so that people on bikes (NOT PAYERS OF ROAD FUND LICENCE) can ride bikes around. What part of this am I not getting????

So hang on....motorways are closed to everyone not in cars (CHICKEN FEATHER LICENCE PAYERS) so that people in cars (NOT PAYERS OF A CHICKEN FEATHER LICENCE) can drive around. What part of this am I not getting?

same s##t, different post

If we motorists pay a tax to have our vehicles on the road, what exactly should we call it?

you don't pay to have your motor vehicles on the road, you pay to use a vehicle which emits poisonous gases. Being on the road is the bit that determines whether you use it or not. That's why low CO2 emitting cars pay zero. Simples! Jeez, how uneducated some people are ... too much Clarkson worshipping

Wouldn't consider participating in such an event, but great to see ideas being lined up for people who are interested in this sort of thing.

I'm also of the belief that that the Sheffield marathon should be quarterly rather than annually (another event I'm not interested in participating).

In fact, there should be more pro-activeness that allows people to be social and do what they love, free of charge,

If it disrupts me or others for a few hours every so often, who cares.

Good luck to all participating.

So if I have my vehicle parked on the road, but don't use it, according to your reply (hyper) I don't have to pay whatever it is called to have it parked on a road.

By the way I don't think I am uneducated because I don't know what to call the money I pay to the DVLA .

So if I have my vehicle parked on the road, but don't use it, according to your reply I don't have to pay whatever it is called to have it parked on a road.

By the way I don't think I am uneducated because I don't know what to call the money I pay to the DVLA .

No, if you have a vehicle parked on the road, you have to pay it. Like I said, the fact that its on the road leads the DVLA to deem it in use. If you never actually use it, then you are on a loser.

Conversely, you could park it on your drive and SORN it and pay nothing. You could even start it up on your drive, rev it up and provided you had SORNed it would produce emissions without you needing to pay anything.

I'm not saying you're generally uneducated, as I don't know you. Sorry if that's how you took it. But you are uneducated with regard to road tax. Whilstever people in general continue to call it road tax, the myth will persist that it's a tax for the right to use the road and that the money raised from it pays for road improvements and that those not paying "Roadtax" or VED have no rights to benefit from road use.