Skyride Sheffield: 5 July

Also this event tomorrow sat 4th July for anyone who fancies cycling up Jenkin Road which is closed to traffic 9.30-3.30

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/134197/Cote-de-Jenkin-Road-Hill-Climb

Sadly I'm in work.

I hate driving up this hill never mind using 1 person power be it walking or on a bike.

I hope the city centre shopkeepers get some recompense for lost trade - I for one will not be going near the city centre.

I was planning to go into town this weekend to do some holiday shopping, didn't go Saturday because of EDL march. Couldn't go today because of this road race. Went to Matalan instead. So city centre shops have lost my business.

Well, having ridden the skyride today with my family, here are my thoughts...

1. Fabulous way of spending a few hours for free with the family.

2. Great way of seeing the city, and not looking through a glass window.

3. A free fluorescent vest and lanyard which my 5 year old loved.

4. The actual road closures are pretty minimal. Ring road running as normal, only eccleshal road and division street that are full closed, plus there are crossing points on both roads to get across.

So the disruption to the city is really minimal, the shops are doing a roaring trade as 6000+ people all try and find somewhere to eat, and it encourages kids to exercise.

What's not to like???

Is this tax thing still going on here? Unbelievable, don't think this is ever going to stop.

Hope many of you will be joining us at the RideforEric next Sunday.

There is a 5k family fancy dress ride, a 15k and 50k. Prizes kindly donated by Richard Putland of Williams Electrics for best fancy dress, most sponsorship raised in each category and most sponsorship overall.

Please check out the website for more details and to sign up http://www.rideforeric.com

Thanks

Well, having ridden the skyride today with my family, here are my thoughts...

1. Fabulous way of spending a few hours for free with the family.

2. Great way of seeing the city, and not looking through a glass window.

3. A free fluorescent vest and lanyard which my 5 year old loved.

4. The actual road closures are pretty minimal. Ring road running as normal, only eccleshal road and division street that are full closed, plus there are crossing points on both roads to get across.

So the disruption to the city is really minimal, the shops are doing a roaring trade as 6000+ people all try and find somewhere to eat, and it encourages kids to exercise.

What's not to like???

Whats not to like is not that 'oh just Ecclesall rd is shut', but that due to this I sat in a queue of traffic from the ring road, all through Broomhill, onto Fulwood Road and by Rustlings Road right up to Nethergreen - Why they cant do events like this in parks is beyond me. Or Chatsworth or something? In the event of the half marathon or race for life, the roads are all back open by 11am ish, this was all day. Just a bunch of people with nothing better to do on a Sunday once again grinding the city to a halt.:rant: Oh but your 5 year olf=d got a lanyard whilst my 2 year old threw a massive tantrum in the car stuck in traffic - well thats ok then!

Edited by amandaholden
spelling

Guest sibon
Whats not to like is not that 'oh just Ecclesall rd is shut', but that due to this I sat in a queue of traffic from the ring road, all through Broomhill, onto Fulwood Road and by Rustlings Road right up to Nethergreen - Why they cant do events like this in parks is beyond me. Or Chatsworth or something? In the event of the half marathon or race for life, the roads are all back open by 11am ish, this was all day. Just a bunch of people with nothing better to do on a Sunday once again grinding the city to a halt.:rant: Oh but your 5 year olf=d got a lanyard whilst my 2 year old threw a massive tantrum in the car stuck in traffic - well thats ok then!

I wandered down to Eccy Road this afternoon. It was really odd. Hardly anyone in the shops and cafes. A few bored looking stewards and some sporadic groups of cyclists.

It certainly didn't have the feel of an event that was big enough to close arterial routes through a major European city for an entire day.

I wandered down to Eccy Road this afternoon. It was really odd. Hardly anyone in the shops and cafes. A few bored looking stewards and some sporadic groups of cyclists.

It certainly didn't have the feel of an event that was big enough to close arterial routes through a major European city for an entire day.

Sporadic groups hardly.

I was there cycling from the start until 3 pm and there was a constant stream of cyclists on the entire route.

All cafes and pubs had large numbers sat outside, a mix of cyclists and others,

The stewards did a great job of directing and managing traffic .

A fantastic day and great experience for my 8 year old to cycle the streets of Sheffield.

---------- Post added 05-07-2015 at 23:37 ----------

Sat in the car with a 2 year old or out getting exercise with my child for 4 hours and you say I have nothing better to do.

You should try it, too lazy maybe

Guest sibon
Sporadic groups hardly.

I was there cycling from the start until 3 pm and there was a constant stream of cyclists on the entire route.

All cafes and pubs had large numbers sat outside, a mix of cyclists and others,

The stewards did a great job of directing and managing traffic .

A fantastic day and great experience for my 8 year old to cycle the streets of Sheffield.

That isn't what I saw. I had lunch in an almost empty Couch, which is usually heaving. The shops on Ecclesall Road were pretty empty. There weren't many riders on the road either. The stewards were awful too, prioritising cyclists over pedestrians at all of the crossing points.

It all looked a bit shabby to be honest. If I was paying the huge local taxes for a shop on Eccy Road, I'd be furious.

I'm pleased that your 8 year old enjoyed it. Maybe he'd have got just as much fun from cycling in the park.

Any event in the city will put SOME people out, whether it's the half marathon or this skyride. Someone will always be peeved at it messing up their day.

However, having taken part today and seen the number of families with kids laughing and enjoying the fact that they could ride on the streets of Sheffield, safe in the knowledge they weren't going to be knocked off, was just brilliant.

Yes maybe it wasn't the 'grand depart', but remember it was free for people to take part, so it was never going to be extravagant!!!

Sometimes in life you just need to see that it isn't all about the fact that you might have been slightly put out by things, but see it from other points of view as well.

It got kids out into the fresh air, getting exercise, enjoying family time, no iPads or other electronics and they got to experience Sheffield city centre.

Win win in my eyes

That isn't what I saw. I had lunch in an almost empty Couch, which is usually heaving. The shops on Ecclesall Road were pretty empty. There weren't many riders on the road either. The stewards were awful too, prioritising cyclists over pedestrians at all of the crossing points.

It all looked a bit shabby to be honest. If I was paying the huge local taxes for a shop on Eccy Road, I'd be furious.

I'm pleased that your 8 year old enjoyed it. Maybe he'd have got just as much fun from cycling in the park.

Not many riders..... Only approx 5000 as confirmed by registration.

Many like us did the circuit a number of times.

In what park can an 8 year old do a 15 mile ride, yes he regularly cycles 24 miles on the TPT but to experience safe road cycling was fantastic for him and many others.