Sheffield Veterans/Armed Forces Day

I am not 90, but certainly well over 70. As are many of my ex forces friends

who are also computer savvy. Please do not patronise the older generation

My apologies. No insult intended.

I also didn't know about it which is a shame cos I could have re-organised what I was doing to go but I would like to say a heartfelt thanks to all who fought in both WW1 and WW2. The debt owed to every one of you is enormous. Lest we forget

There was a good turnout of veterans and cadets for the Armed Forces Day parade on Saturday. However, public attendance was seriously lacking. We were even asked on the tram into town, why were we in uniform and wearing medals, what was happening today.

Why am I surprised at the lack of publicity for the event. Nothing in the Star, nothing on Calendar or Look North and nothing on Radio Sheffield.

Also, what a shame the Lord Mayor had obviously not even looked at his speech before that morning. Read out in a monotone voice, with a total lack of enthusiasm and compassion, and so quiet that those of us who were stood towards the back of the Peace Gardens could hear nothing but a mumbling. It was obviously not the fault of the PA system, as we could hear the other two speakers loud and clear.

It`s such shame that a great day like this can not get the publicity and the audience it deserves.

It`s National Armed Forces Day today, June 27th.

Can anyone tell me why Sheffield Armed Forces Day is held the week before the national day?

It`s National Armed Forces Day today, June 27th.

Can anyone tell me why Sheffield Armed Forces Day is held the week before the national day?

That's unusual; Sheffield is usually ten years behind every other city :|

Sheffield had a Pinknic festival today and the Armed Forces and Veterans day last week.

I can't understand why the Armed Forces and Veterans day wasn't on the nationally recognised day when the Pinknic festival could have been held at any day.

Sheffield had a Pinknic festival today and the Armed Forces and Veterans day last week.

I can't understand why the Armed Forces and Veterans day wasn't on the nationally recognised day when the Pinknic festival could have been held at any day.

Nope your right it doesnt make any sense from any point of view. Has anyone asked the council?

I was told it was because it usually clashes with when Gay Pride is

Then Gay Pride needs to move Armed Forces Day is a national event across the country yet pride differs from place to place. Also this year it was same day as Pinknick which also is moveable.

Why should a national event be moved to make way for another local celebration. The National Armed Forces Day should be held on the National Day and other local events should move to make way for them.

Why should a national event be moved to make way for another local celebration. The National Armed Forces Day should be held on the National Day and other local events should move to make way for them.

I agree and its not as if gay pride cannot be moved. Each city and town has their own celebration held on different dates. Just chose a different date.

I wonder why The Star did not explain this in their coverage of thePinknic.